Bardia Amirlak, M.D. FACS, is Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery, and Director of the Residency Cosmetic Clinic at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
He is double board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery. His aesthetic procedures include body contouring, breast augmentation (implant and non implant), complex rhinoplasty, and facial rejuvenation techniques including both surgical and nonsurgical treatments.
Dr. Amirlak is highly skilled in reconstructive surgery to correct abnormalities and disfigurement due to injury or disease such as breast cancer. He performs procedures of the face, hand, body and breast.
Dr. Amirlak also treats adult and pediatric patients with hand and peripheral nerve disorders, such as carpal tunnel and chronic migraines. He plays a key role at UT Southwestern’s new hand transplant center, and he is director of Hand and Peripheral Nerve Surgery at VA North Texas Health Care System.
He completed five years of general surgery at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. He then completed a fellowship in hand, microsurgery, and peripheral nerve surgery at the University of Louisville’s renowned Kleinert Institute where he was mentored by Warren C. Breidenbach, M.D., who performed the nation’s first hand transplant in 1999. It was there where Dr. Amirlak was involved with the nations first few hand transplants.
Dr. Amirlak joined UT Southwestern in 2010 after completing a residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, where he trained under the pioneer of migraine surgery and one of the world’s renowned cosmetic surgeons, Bahman Guyuron, M.D.
Dr. Amirlak is a founding member of the American Society of Reconstructive Transplant Surgery, and he currently belongs to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery.
He has won many plastic surgery awards and authored numerous articles and book chapters on his areas of expertise. He has presented his research at medical symposiums around the world, and it has been published in many peer-reviewed journals, most notably Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Clinics in Plastic Surgery, and The World Journal of Hernia.
Dr. Amirlak serves as a reviewer for the Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and he is an editorial board member of the Journal of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine.
Dr. Amirlak was raised in New York, California, Europe, and the Middle East. He travels frequently on medical mission trips to Latin America, Asia, and other parts of the world and is leading the UT Southwestern plastic surgery efforts to expand their global health presence. He enjoys autocross racing, tennis, piano, and drawing in his spare time.
- Medical School
- Universidad Iberoamericana (1999)
- New York Medical College (2001), Research
- Creighton University School of Medicine (2006), General Surgery
- University of Louisville - School of Medicine (2007), Hand Surgery
- Case Western Reserve University (2010), Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- 3D imaging for cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery
- 3D imaging for Rhinoplasty
- Facial aging and fat
- Limited incision carpal tunnel surgery
- Migraine Treatment with Botox and Surgery
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Valley Society of Plastic Surgery Award
- American Medical Association Physicians Recognition Award.
- Founding Member -American Society of Reconstructive Transplant Surgery.Founding Member -American Society of Reconstructive Transplant Surgery.
- Winner of 2007 Frachaud Award by the American Hernia Society
- People?s Choice Award
Award, Best Team Player of Year, Creighton University Medical Center (2003)