Dr. Liu received his Ph.D. in Neuroscience and a Doctoral Excellence Award from Case Western Reserve University where he studied the transcriptional control of brain serotonin (5-HT) neuron development and 5-HT-related mood disorders.
After studying the neurons that produce 5-HT, he went on to explore the neural pathways that mediate the physiological actions of 5-HT. Supported by a fellowship from the Hilda & Preston Davis Foundation, his postdoctoral research focused on 5-HT circuits that regulate food intake and glucose balance.
Dr. Liu joined the faculty of Division of Hypothalamic Research in September 2015. He is currently an Assistant Professor in the Departments of Internal Medicine and Neuroscience.
- Cellular and functional diversity in the developing hypothalamus
- Neurobiology of serotonin and serotonin receptors
- Obesity & Diabetes
- The atypical antipsychotic olanzapine causes weight gain by targeting serotonin receptor 2C.
- Lord CC, Wyler SC, Wan R, Castorena CM, Ahmed N, Mathew D, Lee S, Liu C, Elmquist JK J. Clin. Invest. 2017 Aug
- Serotonergic Control of Metabolic Homeostasis.
- Wyler SC, Lord CC, Lee S, Elmquist JK, Liu C Front Cell Neurosci 2017 11 277
- Circuits Controlling Energy Balance and Mood: Inherently Intertwined or Just Complicated Intersections?
- Liu C, Lee S, Elmquist JK Cell Metab. 2014 Mar
- PPARgamma in vagal neurons regulates high-fat diet induced thermogenesis.
- Liu C, Bookout AL, Lee S, Sun K, Jia L, Lee C, Udit S, Deng Y, Scherer PE, Mangelsdorf DJ, Gautron L, Elmquist JK. Cell Metab. 2014 19 4 722-30
- Serotonin 2C receptors in pro-opiomelanocortin neurons regulate energy and glucose homeostasis.
- Berglund ED, Liu C, Sohn JW, Liu T, Kim MH, Lee CE, Vianna CR, Williams KW, Xu Y, Elmquist JK J. Clin. Invest. 2013 Dec 123 12 5061-70
- Pet-1 is required across different stages of life to regulate serotonergic function.
- Liu C, Maejima T, Wyler SC, Casadesus G, Herlitze S, Deneris ES Nat. Neurosci. 2010 Oct 13 10 1190-8
- DRP1 Suppresses Leptin and Glucose Sensing of POMC Neurons.
- Santoro A, Campolo M, Liu C, Sesaki H, Meli R, Liu ZW, Kim JD, Diano S Cell Metab. 2017 Jan
- A Small Potassium Current in AgRP/NPY Neurons Regulates Feeding Behavior and Energy Metabolism.
- He Y, Shu G, Yang Y, Xu P, Xia Y, Wang C, Saito K, Hinton A, Yan X, Liu C, Wu Q, Tong Q, Xu Y Cell Rep 2016 Nov 17 7 1807-1818
- Mutation of mouse Samd4 causes leanness, myopathy, uncoupled mitochondrial respiration, and dysregulated mTORC1 signaling.
- Chen Z, Holland W, Shelton JM, Ali A, Zhan X, Won S, Tomisato W, Liu C, Li X, Moresco EM, Beutler B Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 May 111 20 7367-72
- Arcuate AgRP neurons mediate orexigenic and glucoregulatory actions of ghrelin.
- Wang Q, Liu C, Uchida A, Chuang JC, Walker A, Liu T, Osborne-Lawrence S, Mason BL, Mosher C, Berglund ED, Elmquist JK, Zigman JM Mol Metab 2014 Feb 3 1 64-72
Honors & Awards
- Grossman Award for Excellence in Diabetes Research
- Scientist Development Award
American Heart Association (2016)
- Pilot and Feasibility Award
National Institute of Neurological Disease and Stroke (2015)
- Scholarship Awards
Keystone Symposium/Allen Institute for Brain Science (2014)
- Doctoral Excellence Award
Case Western Reserve University (2011)
- Fellowship Award
Davis Foundation in Eating Disorder Research (2011)
- The President's Award
Case Western Reserve University (2008)
- The Obesity Society (2016)
- American Heart Association (2013)
- Sigma Xi (2012)
- Society for Neuroscience (2008)