Dr. Liu received his Ph.D. in Neuroscience and a Doctoral Excellence Award from Case Western Reserve University where he studied the transcriptional control of brain serotonin (5-HT) neuron development and 5-HT-related mood disorders.
After studying the neurons that produce 5-HT, he went on to explore the neural pathways that mediate the physiological actions of 5-HT. Supported by a fellowship from the Hilda & Preston Davis Foundation, his postdoctoral research focused on 5-HT circuits that regulate food intake and glucose balance.
Dr. Liu joined the faculty of Division of Hypothalamic Research in September 2015. He is currently an Assistant Professor in the Departments of Internal Medicine and Neuroscience.
- Antipsychotic drug induced metabolic syndrome
- Brain serotonin and serotonin receptors
- Developmental origins of survival behaviors
- The atypical antipsychotic risperidone targets hypothalamic melanocortin 4 receptors to cause weight gain.
- Li L, Yoo ES, Li X, Wyler SC, Chen X, Wan R, Arnold AG, Birnbaum SG, Jia L, Sohn JW, Liu C, J Exp Med 2021 Jul 218 7
- Comparative Transcriptomic Analyses of Developing Melanocortin Neurons Reveal New Regulators for the Anorexigenic Neuron Identity.
- Chen X, Wyler SC, Li L, Arnold AG, Wan R, Jia L, Landy MA, Lai HC, Xu P, Liu C, J. Neurosci. 2020 Apr 40 16 3165-3177
- A neural basis for tonic suppression of sodium appetite.
- Park S, Williams KW, Liu C, Sohn JW, Nat. Neurosci. 2020 Jan
- The atypical antipsychotic olanzapine causes weight gain by targeting serotonin receptor 2C.
- Lord CC, Wyler SC, Wan R, Castorena CM, Ahmed N, Mathew D, Lee S, Liu C, Elmquist JK J. Clin. Invest. 2017 Aug
- PPARgamma in vagal neurons regulates high-fat diet induced thermogenesis.
- Liu C, Bookout AL, Lee S, Sun K, Jia L, Lee C, Udit S, Deng Y, Scherer PE, Mangelsdorf DJ, Gautron L, Elmquist JK. Cell Metab. 2014 19 4 722-30
- Serotonin 2C receptors in pro-opiomelanocortin neurons regulate energy and glucose homeostasis.
- Berglund ED, Liu C, Sohn JW, Liu T, Kim MH, Lee CE, Vianna CR, Williams KW, Xu Y, Elmquist JK J. Clin. Invest. 2013 Dec 123 12 5061-70
- Pet-1 is required across different stages of life to regulate serotonergic function.
- Liu C, Maejima T, Wyler SC, Casadesus G, Herlitze S, Deneris ES Nat. Neurosci. 2010 Oct 13 10 1190-8
- CB1Rs in VMH Neurons Regulate Glucose Homeostasis but not Body Weight.
- Castorena CM, Caron A, Michael NJ, Ahmed NI, Arnold AG, Lee J, Lee CE, Limboy C, Tinajero AS, Granier M, Wang S, Horton JD, Holland WL, Lee S, Liu C, Fujikawa T, Elmquist JK, Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2021 Jun
- Loss of Prdm12 during development, but not in mature nociceptors, causes defects in pain sensation.
- Landy MA, Goyal M, Casey KM, Liu C, Lai HC, Cell Rep 2021 Mar 34 13 108913
- Ghrelin Protects Against Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia in a Mouse Model of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Shankar K, Gupta D, Mani BK, Findley BG, Osborne-Lawrence S, Metzger NP, Liu C, Berglund ED, Zigman JM, Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2020 11 606
Honors & Awards
- Grossman Award for Excellence in Diabetes Research
- Scientist Development Award
American Heart Association (2016)
- Pilot and Feasibility Award
National Institute of Neurological Disease and Stroke (2015)
- Scholarship Awards
Keystone Symposium/Allen Institute for Brain Science (2014)
- Doctoral Excellence Award
Case Western Reserve University (2011)
- Fellowship Award
Davis Foundation in Eating Disorder Research (2011)
- The President's Award
Case Western Reserve University (2008)
- The Obesity Society (2016)
- American Heart Association (2013)
- Sigma Xi (2012)
- Society for Neuroscience (2008)