Graham Emslie, M.D.
Endowed Title Charles E. and Sarah M. Seay Chair in Child Psychiatry
Department Psychiatry | Pediatrics
Graduate Programs Clinical Psychology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Emslie obtained his undergraduate degree and M.D. at Aberdeen University in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1974. Dr. Emslie did his internship at Aberdeen Hospitals, Scotland in general medicine and neurosurgery. He did his residency training in general psychiatry at the University of Rochester, NY and child psychiatry at Stanford University, where he also completed a research fellowship. Dr. Emslie joined the U.T. Southwestern Faculty in 1981. He has served as Director for both the inpatient and outpatient units of Children’s Medical Center’s Psychiatry Division. Dr. Emslie's clinical expertise is in the area of child and adolescent depression. Dr. Emslies research foci are in the areas of conducting efficacy and effectiveness trials with medications and psychotherapy for children and adolescents with depression, anxiety disorders, and attention-deficit disorder. He is also involved with developing and evaluating medication algorithm protocols for children and adolescents with depression. Dr. Emslie is active in the following professional organizations: American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, American Psychiatric Association, Texas Society of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians, Society of Biological Psychiatry, and the International Society for Research in Child and Adolescent Psychopathology. He is also on several committees, including the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Interventions Committee, NIMH Child Council Work Group, and the Corporate Contributions and Research Committee for the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. In addition, he serves on the editorial board for the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He also past President for the Texas Society of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Dr. Emslie has written over 60 papers and 17 chapters. He is known internationally for his work in the treatment of pediatric depression. In 2003, he was awarded the Klingenstein Third generation Foundation Award for his work in this field.
- Medical School
- Aberdeen University (1974)
- Aberdeen General Hospitals (1975), General Medicine & Neurosurgery
- Rochester Psychiatric Center (1978), Psychiatry
- Stanford University Hospital (1980), Child Psychiatry
- Stanford University Hospital (1981), Child Psychiatry
- Stanford University Hospital (1981), Child Psychiatry
- Integration of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) in the treatment of pediatric depression
- Pediatric depression
- Pharmacological treatment of depression in children and adolescents
- Suicidal behavior in youth
- Treatment-resistant depression
- Fluoxetine for acute treatment of depression in children and adolescents: A placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial.
- Emslie GJ, Heiligenstein JH, Wagner KD, Hoog SL, Ernest DE, Brown E, Neilsson M, Jacobson JG J Am Acad Child & Adolesc Psychiatry, 2002 41(10) 1205-1215
- Mood disorders in children and adolescents: Psychopharmacological treatment
- Emslie GJ, Mayes TL. Biol Psychiatry 2001 49 1082-1090
- Fluoxetine in child and adolescent depression: Acute and maintenance treatment
- Emslie GJ, Rush AJ, Weinberg WA, Kowatch RA, Carmody T, Mayes TL Depression and Anxiety 1998 7 32-39
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of fluoxetine in depressed children and adolescents
- Emslie GJ, Rush AJ, Weinberg WA, Kowatch RA, Hughes, CW, Carmody T, Rintelmann JW Arch Gen Psychiatry 1997 54 1031-1037
- The association between baseline insomnia symptoms and future suicide attempts within an intensive outpatient treatment program for suicide.
- Lau JW, Stewart SM, King JD, Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Psychiatry Res 2019 Aug 112527
- Psychotic Symptoms and Suicidal Ideation in Child and Adolescent Bipolar I Disorder.
- Duffy ME, Gai AR, Rogers ML, Joiner TE, Luby JL, Joshi PT, Wagner KD, Emslie GJ, Walkup JT, Axelson D, Bipolar Disord 2019 Apr
- A Theory-Driven Investigation of the Association Between Emotion Dysregulation and Suicide Risk in a Clinical Adolescent Sample.
- Eaddy M, Zullo L, Horton SE, Hughes JL, Kennard B, Diederich A, Emslie GJ, Schuster L, Stewart SM Suicide Life Threat Behav 2018 May
- Psychometric properties of the concise health risk tracking (CHRT) in adolescents with suicidality.
- Mayes TL, Kennard BD, Killian M, Carmody T, Grannemann BD, Rush AJ, Jha MK, Hughes J, Emslie GJ, Trivedi MH J Affect Disord 2018 Mar 235 45-51
- Predictors and Moderators of Relapse in Children and Adolescents With Major Depressive Disorder.
- Kennard BD, Mayes TL, Chahal Z, Nakonezny PA, Moorehead A, Emslie GJ J Clin Psychiatry 2018 Feb 79 2
- Hopelessness as a Predictor of Suicide Ideation in Depressed Male and Female Adolescent Youth.
- Wolfe KL, Nakonezny PA, Owen VJ, Rial KV, Moorehead AP, Kennard BD, Emslie GJ Suicide Life Threat Behav 2017 Dec
Honors & Awards
- Elected Fellow, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- Klingenstein Third Generation Foundation Award for Research in Depression or Suicide
- Joseph Fischhoff, M.D., Honorary Lectureship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Children`s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University
- Mental Health Association`s Pamela Blumenthal Memorial Prism Award
- ADDA-SR Award
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
- Society of Biological Psychiatry
- Texas Society of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians