Dr. Konopka received dual bachelor of science degrees in biology and in brain and cognitive sciences from MIT. She obtained her PhD in Neurobiology from Harvard University where she studied the signaling pathways underlying astrocyte transformation. Next, she completed a Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award supported postdoctoral fellowship at the Medical College of Wisconsin where she studied the signaling pathways involved in cell adhesion.
Subsequently, Dr. Konopka completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the Neurology Department at UCLA where she was supported by an A.P. Giannini Foundation fellowship, a NARSAD Young Investigator Award and an NIH Pathway to Independence Award for her studies into the evolution of language and FOXP2-regulated signaling pathways in autism and schizophrenia.
Dr. Konopka joined the faculty in the Department of Neuroscience in 2011.
- Autism spectrum disorders, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease
- Brain evolution
- Neurodevelopmental disorders
- Foxp1 regulation of neonatal vocalizations via cortical development.
- Usui N, Araujo DJ, Kulkarni A, Co M, Ellegood J, Harper M, Toriumi K, Lerch JP, Konopka G Genes Dev. 2017 Nov
- Novel transcriptional networks regulated by CLOCK in human neurons.
- Fontenot MR, Berto S, Liu Y, Werthmann G, Douglas C, Usui N, Gleason K, Tamminga CA, Takahashi JS, Konopka G Genes Dev. 2017 Nov 31 21 2121-2135
- Foxp1 in forebrain pyramidal neurons controls gene expression required for spatial learning and synaptic plasticity.
- Araujo DJ, Toriumi K, Escamilla CO, Kulkarni A, Anderson AG, Harper M, Usui N, Ellegood J, Lerch JP, Birnbaum SG, Tucker HO, Powell CM, Konopka G J. Neurosci. 2017 Oct
- Human Genomic Signatures of Brain Oscillations During Memory Encoding.
- Berto S, Wang GZ, Germi J, Lega BC, Konopka G Cereb. Cortex 2017 Apr 1-16
- Correspondence between Resting-State Activity and Brain Gene Expression.
- Wang GZ, Belgard TG, Mao D, Chen L, Berto S, Preuss TM, Lu H, Geschwind DH, Konopka G Neuron 2015 Nov 88 4 659-66
- Human-specific transcriptional networks in the brain.
- Konopka G, Friedrich T, Davis-Turak J, Winden K, Oldham MC, Gao F, Chen L, Wang GZ, Luo R, Preuss TM, Geschwind DH Neuron 2012 Aug 75 4 601-17
- Human-specific transcriptional regulation of CNS development genes by FOXP2.
- Konopka, G., Bomar, J.M., Winden, K., Coppola, G., Jonsson, Z.O., Gao, F., Peng, S., Preuss, T.M., Wohlschlegel, J.A., and Geschwind, D.H. Nature 2009 462(7270) 213-7
- Kctd13 deletion reduces synaptic transmission via increased RhoA.
- Escamilla CO, Filonova I, Walker AK, Xuan ZX, Holehonnur R, Espinosa F, Liu S, Thyme SB, López-García IA, Mendoza DB, Usui N, Ellegood J, Eisch AJ, Konopka G, Lerch JP, Schier AF, Speed HE, Powell CM Nature 2017 Nov 551 7679 227-231
- MEF2C regulates cortical inhibitory and excitatory synapses and behaviors relevant to neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Harrington AJ, Raissi A, Rajkovich K, Berto S, Kumar J, Molinaro G, Raduazzo J, Guo Y, Loerwald K, Konopka G, Huber KM, Cowan CW Elife 2016 Oct 5
- Comparative Methylome Analyses Identify Epigenetic Regulatory Loci of Human Brain Evolution.
- Mendizabal I, Shi L, Keller TE, Konopka G, Preuss TM, Hsieh TF, Hu E, Zhang Z, Su B, Yi SV Mol. Biol. Evol. 2016 Aug
International Review of Neurobiology: Neurobiology of Autism
Konopka, G (Ed.) (2013). London, UK, Elsevier
Evolution and Development of Language. In Advances in Evolutionary Developmental Biology
Miller, D.J., and Konopka, G. (2013). Hoboken, NJ, John Wiley & Sons, Inc
FOXP2: linking language and autism. In The Autisms: Molecules to Model Systems
Konopka, G. (2013). New York, NY, Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- Understanding Human Cognition Scholar Award
The James S. McDonnell Foundation (2016)
- Basil O'Connor Starter Scholar Research Award
March of Dimes (2013)
- Young Investigator Award
International Society for Autism Research (2013)
- NIH Pathway to Independence Award
- Young Investigator Award
National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2008)
- A. P. Giannini Foundation Medical Research Fellowship
- NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellowship
- International Society for Autism Research (2012)
- UCSD/Salk Center for Academic Research and Training in Anthropogeny (CARTA) (2011)
- Society for Neuroscience (1997)