Robert Eberhart, Ph.D.
Graduate Programs Biomedical Engineering
Robert C. Eberhart, PhD, received an AB in 1958 in applied physics from Harvard College. He received his PhD in 1965 in mechanical engineering from the University of California at Berkeley. He was a staff scientist at the Institute for Medical Sciences, San Francisco, from 1964-1975. He became an associate professor at The University of Texas at Austin in 1975.
Dr. Eberhart joined the faculty of UT Southwestern as an associate professor in 1976 and became a full professor of engineering in surgery in 1986. He served as Chairman of the Joint UT Southwestern-UT Arlington Graduate Biomedical Engineering Program from 1983 to 2000.
- Harvard University (1959), Physics
- Graduate School
- Uni of California, Berkeley (1965), Mechanical Engineering
- Biocompatible materials for controlled drug and gene delivery
- Bioresorbable intravascular and nonvascular stents
- Functional imaging of circulatory assist devices (cell adhesion to pump-oxygenators)
- Hypothermia in surgery and critical care
- Laparoscopic instrumentation (magnetically anchored devices, virtual reality/hepatic training)
- Bioresorbable microporous stents deliver recombinant adenovirus gene transfer vectors to the arterial wall.
- Ye YW, Landau C, Willard JE, Rajasubramanian G, Moskowitz A, Aziz S, Meidell RS, Eberhart RC Annals of Biomedical Engineering 1998 26 398-408
- Acute respiratory insufficiency. Treatment with prolonged extracorporeal oxygenation
- Hill JD, de Leval MR, Fallat RJ, Bramson MD, Eberhart RC, Schulte HD, Osborn JJ, Barger R, Gerbode F J Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery 1972 64 551-562
- Bioheat transfer in blood-perfused tissues and clinical applications of hypothermia.
- Orr CS, Eberhart RC Annual Review of Heat Transfer Select Month or Season 1999 9 1-78
- Bioresorbable filaments promote peripheral nerve regeneration across extended nerve lesions.
- Ngo TB, Romero A, Nelson KD, Eberhart RC, Smith GM J. Neuroscience Research Select Month or Season
- Thromboresistant alkyl derivatized polyurethanes.
- Munro MS, Eberhart RC, Maki NJ, Brink BE, Fry WJ ASAIO Journal Month 6 65-75
- Trocar-less Instrumentationfor Laparoscopy: Magnetic Positioning of Intra-abdominal Camera and Retractor
- Park S, Bergs RA, Eberhart RC, Baker L, Fernandez R and Cadeddu JA Annals of Surgery March 2007 Issue 3 Vol 245 379-384
- Drug-eluting bioresorbable stents for various applications.
- Zilberman M, Eberhart RC Annual Reviews of Biomedical Engineering 2006 Vol 8 153-180
- Finite element simulation of cooling of realistic 3-D human head and neck.
- Dennis, BH, Eberhart RC, Dulikravich GS, Radons SW J. Biomechanical Engineering 2003 Vol 125 832-840
- An expandable, bioresorbable endovascular stent.
- Su S, Chao R, Landau CR, Nelson KD, Timmons RB, Meidell RB, Eberhart RC Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2003 Issue 3 Volume 31 667-677
- Transient adhesion of platelets in pump-oxygenator systems: Influence of SMA and nitric oxide treatments.
- Li J, Sly MK, Chao R, Constantinescu A, Kulkarni PV, Wians FH, Jessen ME, Eberhart RC J Biomaterials Science: Polymer Edition 1999 Vol 10 235-246
Honors & Awards
- Inaugural Fellow
Biomedical Engineering Society (2005)
- Founding Fellow
American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (1994)
American Society for Artificial Internal Organs (1993)
- C. William Hall Outstanding Research Award
Southern Bioengineering Conference (1987)
American Society for Mechanical Engineering (1987)
- American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- American Society for Artificial Internal Organs
- American Society for Mechanical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Society for Biomaterials