Khurram Mazhar, M.D.
Clinical Assistant Professor
Department Internal Medicine
Khurram Mazhar, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases. He has been on the medical staff at VA North Texas since 2014.
He is originally from the Chicago area and earned a bachelor's degree in economics and chemistry at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign.He attended medical school at Rush University. He completed internal medicine residency training at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX, along with a fellowship in hepatology and liver transplant. He then pursued a gastroenterology fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Mazhar serves as an attending physician on both the gastroenterology and hepatology consult services, as well as supervising GI fellows in the teaching of upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy. He is the clinic director for multiple gastroenterology and hepatology clinics at the North Texas VA Health Care System in Dallas, and also serves as an outpatient clinic attending in the inflammatory bowel disease clinic, general GI clinic, and resident/fellow liver teaching clinics. He is a member of the multidisciplinary Liver Tumor Board, where he works with other physicians in interventional radiology, surgical oncology, and medical oncology, in order to provide excellent clinical care to those veterans suffering from hepatocellular carcinoma. He has published articles on the diagnosis and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and DAA hepatitis C therapy.
- The Future of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Treatment.
- Mazhar K, Med Clin North Am 2019 Jan 103 1 57-69
- Early gene response to low-intensity pulsed ultrasound in rat osteoblastic cells.
- Sena K, Leven RM, Mazhar K, Sumner DR, Virdi AS, Ultrasound Med Biol 2005 May 31 5 703-8
Honors & Awards
- Top Provider in Hepatology, VA North Texas Health Care System
- Clinical Honors, Rush Medical College of Rush University
- Dean's Summer Research Fellowship, Rush Medical College of Rush University
- Graduation with Departmental Distinction, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Pre-Clinical Honors, Rush Medical College of Rush University
- Dean's List, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Texas Medical Association (TMA) (2020)
- Texas Society of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy (TSGE) (2020)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) (2017)
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) (2010)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) (2010)
- American College of Physicians (2006)