Originally from Leon, Nicaragua, Dr. Mayorga was raised in New Orleans. holds a bachelor's degree in biology from Loyola University in New Orleans. He earned his medical degree at Tulane University School of Medicine. He completed internal medicine residency training at the University of Chicago. He then completed advanced training through a fellowship in gastroenterology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, where he was Chief Fellow.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in gastroenterology, Dr. Mayorga joined the UT Southwestern faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2013. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 2020.
Dr. Mayorga is the Associate Clinical Chief of Digestive and Liver Diseases at UT Southwestern, the Clinical CHief of Digestive and Liver Diseases at Parkland, and the Medical Director of the Digestive and Liver Diseases Clinic at Parkland.
Dr. Mayorga's research interests include hepatitis c, colonoscopy, colorectal cancer, and cirrhosis. His findings have resulted in several peer-reviewed articles, book chapters, case reports, and other published media.
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (2007)
- The University of Chicago (2010), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013), Gastroenterology
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- General Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Medical Informatics
- Quality Improvement
- Telemedicine: Electronic consultation
- Effect of Colonoscopy Outreach vs Fecal Immunochemical Test Outreach on Colorectal Cancer Screening Completion: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Singal AG, Gupta S, Skinner CS, Ahn C, Santini NO, Agrawal D, Mayorga CA, Murphy C, Tiro JA, McCallister K, Sanders JM, Bishop WP, Loewen AC, Halm EA JAMA 2017 09 318 9 806-815
- Electronic Consultation Systems.
- Tian C, Mayorga C, Agrawal D Health Aff (Millwood) 2017 Jul 36 7 1348
- Gastric Ischemia as a Rare Cause of Hematemesis.
- Vance RB, Mayorga CA ACG Case Rep J 2017 4 e4
- Syphilitic proctitis.
- Yang JF, Peng L, Siddiqui AA, Mayorga CA Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2016 Jul 29 3 327-8
- Outreach invitations for FIT and colonoscopy improve colorectal cancer screening rates: A randomized controlled trial in a safety-net health system.
- Singal AG, Gupta S, Tiro JA, Skinner CS, McCallister K, Sanders JM, Bishop WP, Agrawal D, Mayorga CA, Ahn C, Loewen AC, Santini NO, Halm EA Cancer 2015 Nov
- Development of the Parkland-UT Southwestern Colonoscopy Reporting System (CoRS) for evidence-based colon cancer surveillance recommendations.
- Skinner CS, Gupta S, Halm EA, Wright S, McCallister K, Bishop W, Santini N, Mayorga C, Agrawal D, Moran B, Sanders JM, Singal AG J Am Med Inform Assoc 2015 Aug
- Can Chronic Disease Management Programs Improve Outcomes in Patients With Cirrhosis?
- Mayorga CA, Singal AG Gastroenterology 2013 Sep
- Clinical Utility of a Standardized Electronic Order Set for the Management of Acute Upper Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage in Patients With Cirrhosis.
- Mayorga CA, Rockey DC Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2013 Apr
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Research Award
UT Southwestern Gastroenterology Fellowship Program (2013)
- Chief Fellow
UT Southwestern Gastroenterology Fellowship Program (2011-2013)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2013)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2013)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2013)