Dr. Dickson is the Medical Director at the Children’s Medical Center Dallas’ Endocrinology Center. Recruited to UT Southwestern in 1994 from private practice, he is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and oversees the pediatric endocrinology teaching program for residents and the fourth-year medical student clerkships in pediatric endocrinology.
Dr. Dickson holds his undergraduate degree from UT Arlington and his medical degree from UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, where he also completed a residency in pediatrics and a 1-year fellowship in pediatric endocrinology. He went on to complete his fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, and then moved onto private practice in Dallas from 1990 to 1994.
In 1994, Dr Dickson joined the UT Southwestern faculty on a full-time basis. Dr. Dickson is a dedicated teacher and was recognized when he received the Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award from the Children’s Medical Center Dallas Pediatric Residency Program in 2000. He has also been serving as medical director of Camp Sweeney since 2000.
Located in Gainesville, Texas, Camp Sweeney is the largest residential summer camp for children with diabetes in the country. More than 800 children attend this camp every year.
Dr. Dickson is currently expanding his role in the Division by becoming a principal investigator for clinical trials. He is presently implementing a pharmaceutical study that will aid children with obesity as a result of hypothalamic disorders. He is active in the pediatric endocrinology community. He is currently a member of the Executive Board and Vice Chairman of the medical board of the Southwestern Diabetic Foundation.
- Medical School
- UT Hlth Sci Cntr San Antonio (1984)
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1987), Pediatrics
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1988), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (1990), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Endocrine Disorders in Neurooncology patients
- Hypothalamic Obesity
- Iatrogenic Adrenal Insufficiency
- Epidermal growth factor stimulates insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-1 expression in the neonatal rat.
- Murray MA, Dickson BA, Smith EP, Hoath SB, Chernausek SD Endocrinology 1993 Jul 133 1 159-65
- Suppression of insulin-like growth factor I during epidermal growth factor-induced growth retardation.
- Chernausek SD, Dickson BA, Smith EP, Hoath SB Am. J. Physiol. 1991 Mar 260 3 Pt 1 E416-21
- Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 secretion from cultured rat sertoli cells: dual regulation by follicle stimulating hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I.
- Smith EP, Dickson BA, Chernausek SD Endocrinology 1990 Dec 127 6 2744-51
- Aldosterone-producing adenoma presenting with hypokalemic myopathy. Case report and review.
- Dickson BA, Franks RC Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1988 Jul 27 7 344-7
- Low Morbidity and Mortality in Children with Diabetic Ketoacidosis Treated with Isotonic Fluids.
- White PC, Dickson BA J. Pediatr. 2013 Mar
- Hypothyroidism in siblings due to a homozygous mutation of the TSH-beta subunit gene.
- Felner EI, Dickson BA, White PC J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2004 Apr 17 4 669-72
- Time course of recovery of adrenal function in children treated for leukemia.
- Felner EI, Thompson MT, Ratliff AF, White PC, Dickson BA J. Pediatr. 2000 Jul 137 1 21-4
- Parathyroid carcinoma in a child.
- Meier DE, Snyder WH, Dickson BA, Margraf LR, Guzzetta PC J. Pediatr. Surg. 1999 Apr 34 4 606-8
Thyrotoxic Crisis and Euthroid Sick Syndrome. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd Edition, D. Levin, F. Morriss, eds.
Dickson BA. (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone Secretion. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd Edition, D. Levin, F. Morriss, eds.
Dickson BA. (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- America's Top Pediatricians
Consumers' Research Council of America (2008)
- Best Doctors in America
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly Magazine (2006-2018)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2004)
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2004-2018)
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award
Children’s Medical Center of Dallas Pediatric Residency Program (2000)
- Executive Board member, Southwestern Diabetic Foundation
- Medical Director, Southwestern Diabetic Foundation
- Pediatric Endocrine Society of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas