Dr. Dewey is a Professor in the Department of Neurology and Director of the Clinical Center for Movement Disorders at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas. He serves as a mentor in the medical student Colleges program at UT Southwestern Medical School.
Dr. Dewey earned his medical degree with high honors from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas where he was named a President’s Scholar and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society in his junior year. He completed his medical internship at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Houston, Texas, and his neurology residency at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester, Minnesota. Dr. Dewey then completed a movement disorders fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and Scottsdale, Arizona. Dr. Dewey is a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology, and a Fellow of the American Neurological Association.
He has received several notable honors throughout his medical career, including America’s Top Physicians, Best Doctors in America, Texas Super Doctors, Guide to America’s Top Physicians, D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas, HealthGrades Five-Star Doctor, and US News and World Report Top Doctors.
Dr. Dewey has been an invited speaker participating in over 100 lectures and presentations on an international, national, regional, and local level. He has written and contributed to book chapters, educational materials, abstracts, and articles for such journals as Archives of Neurology, Neurology, Clinical Neuropharmacology, Neurosurgery, Movement Disorders, and Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology. His primary research interests are in the areas of new therapeutics, biomarker discovery, and disease modification of Parkinson disease.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1989)
- St. Joseph's Hospital (1990), Transitional Internship
- Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education (1993), Neurology
- Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education (1994), Movement Disorders
- Biomarker discovery in Parkinson disease
- Disease modifying drug development in Parkinson disease
- Therapeutics and disease mechanisms in disorders of the basal ganglia
- Characterization of Parkinson's disease using blood-based biomarkers: A multicohort proteomic analysis.
- Posavi M, Diaz-Ortiz M, Liu B, Swanson CR, Skrinak RT, Hernandez-Con P, Amado DA, Fullard M, Rick J, Siderowf A, Weintraub D, McCluskey L, Trojanowski JQ, Dewey RB, Huang X, Chen-Plotkin AS, PLoS Med. 2019 Oct 16 10 e1002931
- Parkinson's disease biomarkers: perspective from the NINDS Parkinson's Disease Biomarkers Program.
- Gwinn K, David KK, Swanson-Fischer C, Albin R, Hillaire-Clarke CS, Sieber BA, Lungu C, Bowman FD, Alcalay RN, Babcock D, Dawson TM, Dewey RB, Foroud T, German D, Huang X, Petyuk V, Potashkin JA, Saunders-Pullman R, Sutherland M, Walt DR, West AB, Zhang J, Chen-Plotkin A, Scherzer CR, Vaillancourt DE, Rosenthal LS Biomark Med 2017 May 11 6 451-473
- Developing a Deep Brain Stimulation Neuromodulation Network for Parkinson Disease, Essential Tremor, and Dystonia: Report of a Quality Improvement Project.
- Dewey RB, O'Suilleabhain PE, Sanghera M, Patel N, Khemani P, Lacritz LH, Chitnis S, Whitworth LA, Dewey RB PLoS ONE 2016 11 10 e0164154
- Blood biomarker for Parkinson disease: peptoids.
- Yazdani U, Zaman S, Hynan LS, Brown LS, Dewey RB, Karp D, German DC NPJ Parkinsons Dis 2016 2
- The NINDS Parkinson's disease biomarkers program.
- Rosenthal LS, Drake D, Alcalay RN, Babcock D, Bowman FD, Chen-Plotkin A, Dawson TM, Dewey RB, German DC, Huang X, Landin B, McAuliffe M, Petyuk VA, Scherzer CR, Hillaire-Clarke CS, Sieber BA, Sutherland M, Tarn C, West A, Vaillancourt D, Zhang J, Gwinn K Mov. Disord. 2015 Oct
- Effect of creatine monohydrate on clinical progression in patients with Parkinson disease: a randomized clinical trial.
- Kieburtz K, Tilley BC, Elm JJ, Babcock D, Hauser R, Ross GW, Augustine AH, Augustine EU, Aminoff MJ, Bodis-Wollner IG, Boyd J, Cambi F, Chou K, Christine CW, Cines M, Dahodwala N, Derwent L, Dewey RB, Hawthorne K, Houghton DJ, Kamp C, Leehey M, Lew MF, Liang GS, Luo ST, Mari Z, Morgan JC, Parashos S, Pérez A, Petrovitch H, Rajan S, Reichwein S, Roth JT, Schneider JS, Shannon KM, Simon DK, Simuni T, Singer C, Sudarsky L, Tanner CM, Umeh CC, Williams K, Wills AM JAMA 2015 Feb 313 6 584-93
- Automated gait and balance parameters diagnose and correlate with severity in Parkinson disease.
- Dewey DC, Miocinovic S, Bernstein I, Khemani P, Dewey RB, Querry R, Chitnis S, Dewey RB J. Neurol. Sci. 2014 Jul
- Motor symptoms at onset of Parkinson disease and risk for cognitive impairment and depression.
- Dewey RB, Taneja A, McClintock SM, Cullum CM, Dewey RB, Bernstein I, Husain MM Cogn Behav Neurol 2012 Sep 25 3 115-20
- Evidence-based guideline update: treatment of essential tremor: report of the Quality Standards subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology.
- Zesiewicz TA, Elble RJ, Louis ED, Gronseth GS, Ondo WG, Dewey RB, Okun MS, Sullivan KL, Weiner WJ Neurology 2011 Nov 77 19 1752-5
- Pathological gambling in PD: did the devil make me do it?
- Dewey RB Neurology 2010 Nov 75 19 1668-9
Handbook of Movement Disorders
Chitnis, S and Dewey, Jr., RB (Ed.) (2011). Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- U.S. News and World Report "Top Doctors"
- D Magazine Best Doctors
- Texas Superdoctors
Texas Monthly Magazine (2007-2019)
- Best Doctors in America
- Neurology teaching award
for excellence in teaching residents and medical students (1995)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Baylor College of Medicine (1988)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Duke University (1984)
- Fellow, American Neurological Association (2006)
- Fellow, American Academy of Neurology (1991)
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Movement Disorders Society
- Parkinson Study Group
- Texas Medical Association