Hung S. Luu, PharmD, MD, FCAP is the Director of Clinical Pathology at Children’s Health and Chief of Service for Pathology at the Children’s Medical Center Plano Campus. He is Associate Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. As part of the faculty on the hematopathology service at the University of Texas Medical Center in Dallas Texas, he participates in the training of pathology residents and fellows in the examination of bone marrows, lymphoid tissue and body fluid to diagnose hematolymphoid malignancies.
Dr. Luu received his pathology residency training at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, and completed a fellowship in hematopathology at City of Hope in Duarte, California. He has board certification in anatomic and clinical pathology, hematopathology, and clinical informatics. His research interests include hematologic malignancies in the pediatric population, hematology with an emphasis in hemoglobinopathies, and utilizing technology and process improvement in the laboratory to improve operational efficiency and clinical outcomes.
Dr. Luu is an active member of the College of American Pathologist serves on the Clinical Informatics and Standards Committee. He represents the CAP as the Outbound Liaison to the Laboratory LOINC Laboratory Committee.
- Medical School
- Oregon Health and Science University (2004)
- University of Oregon Health Sciences Center - GME (2005), General Surgery
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2009), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- City of Hope National Medical Center (2010), Hematopathology
- Clinical Informatics
- Hematolymphoid Neoplasms
- Myeloid Neoplasms
- Process Improvement
- The Brief Case: Disseminated Histoplasma capsulatum in a Patient with Newly Diagnosed HIV Infection/AIDS.
- Hill EV, Cavuoti D, Luu HS, McElvania TeKippe E J. Clin. Microbiol. 2018 Mar 56 3
- Automated cell counts on CSF samples: A multicenter performance evaluation of the GloCyte system.
- Hod EA, Brugnara C, Pilichowska M, Sandhaus LM, Luu HS, Forest SK, Netterwald JC, Reynafarje GM, Kratz A Int J Lab Hematol 2017 Sep
- Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter Flow Cytometry.
- Chen W, Luu HS Methods Mol. Biol. 2017 1633 51-73
- Haematogone hyperplasia in copper deficiency.
- Pirruccello E, Luu HS, Chen W Br. J. Haematol. 2016 Mar
- Characterization of the HBB: c.*233G?>?C Variant: No Evidence of a ß-Thalassemic Phenotype.
- Smith DL, Mitui M, Park JY, Luu HS, Timmons CF Hemoglobin 2015 Nov 1-4
- Mature neutrophils with Auer rods following treatment with all-trans retinoic acid for acute promyelocytic leukemia.
- Luu HS, Rahaman PA Blood 2015 Jul 126 1 121
- Myeloid and Lymphoid Neoplasm With Abnormalities of FGFR1 Presenting With Trilineage Blasts and RUNX1 Rearrangement: A Case Report and Review of Literature.
- Kumar KR, Chen W, Koduru PR, Luu HS Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2015 May 143 5 738-48
- Novel r(2)(p25q31) Cytogenetic Abnormality in a Pediatric Patient With Acute Leukemia of Ambiguous Lineage.
- Kim J, Bu L, Koduru PR, Wilson KS, Fuda FS, Kumar KR, Timmons CF, Slone TL, Luu HS Pediatr. Dev. Pathol. 2014 Dec
- ß-Globin Gene Sequencing of Hemoglobin Austin Revises the Historically Reported Electrophoretic Migration Pattern.
- Racsa LD, Luu HS, Park JY, Mitui M, Timmons CF Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2014 Jun 138 6 819-822
- Therapy-induced Secondary Acute Myeloid Leukemia With t(11;19)(q23;p13.1) in a Pediatric Patient With Relapsed Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia.
- Dang DN, Morris HD, Feusner JH, Koduru P, Wilson K, Timmons CF, Cavalier M, Luu HS J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2014 Jun
Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter Flow Cytometry. In Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Methods in Molecular Biology
Chen W, Luu HS (2017). New York, Humana Press
Pediatric Hematology & Hemoglobinopathies. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Luu HS, Timmons, CF, Zia A. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Pediatric Coagulation. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Zia A, Journeycake JM, Luu HS. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Honors & Awards
- American Association of Clinical Chemistry Outstanding Speaker Award
- Southwestern Association of Microbiology 32nd Annual Meeting Poster Award
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2010)
- College of American Pathologists (2010)
- American Society of Hematology (2009)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (2005)