Hung S. Luu, PharmD, MD, FCAP is the Director of Clinical Pathology at Children’s Health and Chief of Service for Pathology at the Children’s Medical Center Plano Campus. He is Associate Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. As part of the faculty on the hematopathology service at the University of Texas Medical Center in Dallas Texas, he participates in the training of pathology residents and fellows in the examination of bone marrows, lymphoid tissue and body fluid to diagnose hematolymphoid malignancies.
Dr. Luu received his pathology residency training at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, and completed a fellowship in hematopathology at City of Hope in Duarte, California. He has board certification in anatomic and clinical pathology, hematopathology, and clinical informatics. His research interests include hematologic malignancies in the pediatric population, hematology with an emphasis in hemoglobinopathies, and utilizing technology and process improvement in the laboratory to improve operational efficiency and clinical outcomes.
Dr. Luu is an active member of the College of American Pathologist serves on the Clinical Informatics and Standards Committee. He serves as the co-chair of the implementation committee for the Food and Drug Administration’s SHIELD initiative, a multi-stakeholder initiative to improve the quality, interoperability, and portability of laboratory data. Dr. Luu was appointed to a three-year term on the Health Information Technology Advisory Council (HITAC) in 2022.
- Medical School
- Oregon Health and Science University (2004)
- University of Oregon Health Sciences Center - GME (2005), General Surgery
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2009), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- City of Hope National Medical Center (2010), Hematopathology
- Clinical Informatics
- Hematolymphoid Neoplasms
- Myeloid Neoplasms
- Process Improvement
- Harnessing the Electronic Health Record and Computerized Provider Order Entry Data for Resource Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Luu HS, Filkins LM, Park JY, Rakheja D, Tweed J, Menzies C, Wang VJ, Mittal V, Lehmann CU, Sebert ME, JMIR Med Inform 2021 Sep
- A Survey of LOINC Code Selection Practices Among Participants of the College of American Pathologists' Coagulation (CGL) and Cardiac Markers (CRT) Proficiency Testing Programs.
- Stram M, Seheult J, Sinard JH, Campbell WS, Carter AB, de Baca ME, Quinn AM, Luu HS, Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2019 Oct
- Applying the Principles of Lean Production to Gastrointestinal Biopsy Handling: From the Factory Floor to the Anatomic Pathology Laboratory.
- Sugianto JZ, Stewart B, Ambruzs JM, Arista A, Park JY, Cope-Yokoyama S, Luu HS Lab Med 2015 46 3 259-264
- Detection of Intracellular Parasites Utilizing the CellaVision DM96 on Routine Screening of Peripheral Blood Smears.
- Racsa LD, Gander RM, Southern PM, McElvania TeKippe E, Doern C, Luu HS J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Nov
- Hematologic Complications in Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19 Infection.
- Lin E, Araj E, Markantonis J, Luu H, Chen M, Hematol Rep 2022 Jul 14 3 228-234
- A Combined Biomarker of Bright CD38 and MYC =55% Is Highly Predictive of Double-/Triple-Hit High-Grade B-Cell Lymphoma.
- Alsuwaidan A, Koduru P, Fuda F, Manuel Jaso J, Chen M, Rosado F, Luu HS, Sweed N, Garcia R, Doucet M, Desai NB, Kumar KA, Awan FT, Ramakrishnan Geethakumari P, Chen W, Am J Clin Pathol 2022 May
- Chromosomal microarray reinterpretation: Applications to pediatric practice.
- Shi G, Xu J, Barnes SF, Farooqi MS, Luu HS, Gotway G, Park JY, J Pediatr 2021 Dec
- Transfusion-Transmitted Malaria: Two Pediatric Cases From the United States and Their Relevance in an Increasingly Globalized World.
- Stubbs LA, Price M, Noland D, Fuchs J, Filkins L, McElvania E, Luu HS, Sebert M, Waters A, Hsiang MS, J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc 2021 Sep
- Providing Inclusive Care for Transgender Patients: Capturing Sex and Gender in the Electronic Medical Record.
- Patel K, Lyon ME, Luu HS, J Appl Lab Med 2020 Dec
- Use of LOINC for interoperability between organisations poses a risk to safety.
- Carter AB, de Baca ME, Luu HS, Campbell WS, Stram MN, Lancet Digit Health 2020 Nov 2 11 e569
Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter Flow Cytometry. In Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Methods in Molecular Biology
Chen W, Luu HS (2017). New York, Humana Press
Pediatric Hematology & Hemoglobinopathies. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Luu HS, Timmons, CF, Zia A. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Pediatric Coagulation. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Zia A, Journeycake JM, Luu HS. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Laboratory Testing in Pediatric Cancer Patients. In Cancer Biomarkers: Clinical Aspects and Laboratory Determination
Patel K, Phipps WS, Luu HS, Rakheja D. (2022). Amsterdam, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- American Association of Clinical Chemistry Outstanding Speaker Award
- Southwestern Association of Microbiology 32nd Annual Meeting Poster Award
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2010)
- College of American Pathologists (2010)
- American Society of Hematology (2009)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (2005)