Hung S. Luu, PharmD, MD, FCAP is the Director of Clinical Pathology at Children’s Health. He is Associate Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. As part of the faculty on the hematopathology service at the University of Texas Medical Center in Dallas Texas, he participates in the training of pathology residents and fellows in the examination of bone marrows, lymphoid tissue and body fluid to diagnose hematolymphoid malignancies.
Dr. Luu received his pathology residency training at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, and completed a fellowship in hematopathology at City of Hope in Duarte, California. He has board certification in anatomic and clinical pathology, hematopathology, and clinical informatics. His research interests include hematologic malignancies in the pediatric population, hematology with an emphasis in hemoglobinopathies, and utilizing technology and process improvement in the laboratory to improve operational efficiency and clinical outcomes.
Dr. Luu is an active member of the College of American Pathologist and serves on the Clinical Informatics Committee. He serves on the steering committee for the Food and Drug Administration’s SHIELD Community, a multi-stakeholder initiative to improve the quality, interoperability, and portability of laboratory data. Dr. Luu was appointed to a three-year term on the Health Information Technology Advisory Council (HITAC) in 2022 and was also appointed to the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Advisory Committee (CLIAC) in 2023.
- Medical School
- Oregon Health and Science University (2004)
- University of Oregon Health Sciences Center - GME (2005), General Surgery
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2009), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- City of Hope National Medical Center (2010), Hematopathology
- Clinical Informatics
- Hematolymphoid Neoplasms
- Myeloid Neoplasms
- Process Improvement
- Harnessing the Electronic Health Record and Computerized Provider Order Entry Data for Resource Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Luu HS, Filkins LM, Park JY, Rakheja D, Tweed J, Menzies C, Wang VJ, Mittal V, Lehmann CU, Sebert ME, JMIR Med Inform 2021 Sep
- A Survey of LOINC Code Selection Practices Among Participants of the College of American Pathologists' Coagulation (CGL) and Cardiac Markers (CRT) Proficiency Testing Programs.
- Stram M, Seheult J, Sinard JH, Campbell WS, Carter AB, de Baca ME, Quinn AM, Luu HS, Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2019 Oct
- Applying the Principles of Lean Production to Gastrointestinal Biopsy Handling: From the Factory Floor to the Anatomic Pathology Laboratory.
- Sugianto JZ, Stewart B, Ambruzs JM, Arista A, Park JY, Cope-Yokoyama S, Luu HS Lab Med 2015 46 3 259-264
- Detection of Intracellular Parasites Utilizing the CellaVision DM96 on Routine Screening of Peripheral Blood Smears.
- Racsa LD, Gander RM, Southern PM, McElvania TeKippe E, Doern C, Luu HS J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Nov
- Hemoglobin β-Globin Variants In Hispanic Patients: An Institutional Experience From Dallas, Texas.
- Firan M, Timmons CF, Park JY, Mitui Mha M, Luu HS, Hemoglobin 2023 Oct 1-5
- Paediatric clinical decision support: Evaluation of a best practice alert for red blood cell transfusion.
- Adkins BD, Murfin R, Luu HS, Noland DK, Vox Sang 2023 Jul
- Digital pathology and artificial intelligence as the next chapter in diagnostic hematopathology.
- Lin E, Fuda F, Luu HS, Cox AM, Fang F, Feng J, Chen M, Semin Diagn Pathol 2023 Feb
- Adult mixed phenotype acute leukemia (MPAL): B/myeloid MPALisoMPO is distinct from other MPAL subtypes.
- Weinberg OK, Dennis J, Zia H, Chen P, Chu A, Koduru P, Luu HS, Fuda F, Chen W, Int J Lab Hematol 2022 Nov
- A t(11;14)(q13;q32)/CCND1::IGH carrying progenitor germinal B-cell with subsequent cytogenetic aberrations contributes to the development of classic Hodgkin lymphoma.
- García R, Timmons C, Luu H, Miller V, Fuda F, Chen W, Koduru P, Cancer Genet 2022 Oct 268-269 97-102
- Hematologic Complications in Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19 Infection.
- Lin E, Araj E, Markantonis J, Luu H, Chen M, Hematol Rep 2022 Jul 14 3 228-234
Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter Flow Cytometry. In Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Methods in Molecular Biology
Chen W, Luu HS (2017). New York, Humana Press
Pediatric Hematology & Hemoglobinopathies. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Luu HS, Timmons, CF, Zia A. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Pediatric Coagulation. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Zia A, Journeycake JM, Luu HS. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Laboratory Testing in Pediatric Cancer Patients. In Cancer Biomarkers: Clinical Aspects and Laboratory Determination
Patel K, Phipps WS, Luu HS, Rakheja D. (2022). Amsterdam, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- College of American Pathologists President's Honors Award
- American Association of Clinical Chemistry Outstanding Speaker Award
- Southwestern Association of Microbiology 32nd Annual Meeting Poster Award
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2010)
- American Society of Hematology (2009)
- College of American Pathologists (2010)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (2005)