Hung S. Luu, PharmD, MD, FCAP is the Director of Clinical Pathology at Children’s Health and Chief of Service for Pathology at the Children’s Medical Center Plano Campus. He is Associate Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. As part of the faculty on the hematopathology service at the University of Texas Medical Center in Dallas Texas, he participates in the training of pathology residents and fellows in the examination of bone marrows, lymphoid tissue and body fluid to diagnose hematolymphoid malignancies.
Dr. Luu received his pathology residency training at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, and completed a fellowship in hematopathology at City of Hope in Duarte, California. He has board certification in anatomic and clinical pathology, hematopathology, and clinical informatics. His research interests include hematologic malignancies in the pediatric population, hematology with an emphasis in hemoglobinopathies, and utilizing technology and process improvement in the laboratory to improve operational efficiency and clinical outcomes.
Dr. Luu is an active member of the College of American Pathologist serves on the Clinical Informatics and Standards Committee. He represents the CAP as the Outbound Liaison to the Laboratory LOINC Laboratory Committee.
- Medical School
- Oregon Health and Science University (2004)
- University of Oregon Health Sciences Center - GME (2005), General Surgery
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2009), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- City of Hope National Medical Center (2010), Hematopathology
- Clinical Informatics
- Hematolymphoid Neoplasms
- Myeloid Neoplasms
- Process Improvement
- A Survey of LOINC Code Selection Practices Among Participants of the College of American Pathologists' Coagulation (CGL) and Cardiac Markers (CRT) Proficiency Testing Programs.
- Stram M, Seheult J, Sinard JH, Campbell WS, Carter AB, de Baca ME, Quinn AM, Luu HS, Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2019 Oct
- Applying the Principles of Lean Production to Gastrointestinal Biopsy Handling: From the Factory Floor to the Anatomic Pathology Laboratory.
- Sugianto JZ, Stewart B, Ambruzs JM, Arista A, Park JY, Cope-Yokoyama S, Luu HS Lab Med 2015 46 3 259-264
- Detection of Intracellular Parasites Utilizing the CellaVision DM96 on Routine Screening of Peripheral Blood Smears.
- Racsa LD, Gander RM, Southern PM, McElvania TeKippe E, Doern C, Luu HS J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Nov
- Comparison of the platelet activation status of single-donor platelets obtained with two different cell separator technologies.
- Millar D, Hayes C, Jones J, Klapper E, Kniep JN, Luu HS, Noland DK, Petitti L, Poisson JL, Spaepen E, Ye Z, Maurer-Spurej E, Transfusion 2020 Jul
- Reinterpretation of Chromosomal Microarrays with Detailed Medical History.
- Farooqi MS, Figueroa S, Gotway G, Wang J, Luu HS, Park JY, J. Pediatr. 2020 May
- A synthetic heparinoid blocks tau aggregate cell uptake and amplification.
- Stopschinski BE, Thomas TL, Nadji S, Darvish E, Fan L, Holmes BB, Modi AR, Finnell J, Kashmer OM, Estill-Terpack S, Mirbaha H, Luu HS, Diamond MI, J. Biol. Chem. 2020 Jan
- Hb Alcorn County: A ß-Globin Variant [ß40(C6)Arg?Thr; HBB: c.122G>C (p.Arg41Thr)] with Increased Oxygen Affinity.
- Luu HS, McCavit TL, Park JY, Mitui M, Lopez DD, Timmons CF, Hemoglobin 2019 Aug 1-3
- A Patient with Persistent Foot Swelling after Ankle Sprain: B-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma Mimicking Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Montgomery-Goecker CR, Martin AA, Timmons CF, Rakheja D, Rajaram V, Luu HS. Cancer Transl Med 2019 5 (3) 60-3
- Genomic Privacy.
- Schwab AP, Luu HS, Wang J, Park JY Clin. Chem. 2018 Jul
- Closing the Brief Case: Disseminated Histoplasma capsulatum in a Patient with Newly Diagnosed HIV Infection/AIDS.
- Hill EV, Cavuoti D, Luu HS, McElvania TeKippe E J. Clin. Microbiol. 2018 Mar 56 3
Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter Flow Cytometry. In Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Methods in Molecular Biology
Chen W, Luu HS (2017). New York, Humana Press
Pediatric Hematology & Hemoglobinopathies. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Luu HS, Timmons, CF, Zia A. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Pediatric Coagulation. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Zia A, Journeycake JM, Luu HS. (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Honors & Awards
- American Association of Clinical Chemistry Outstanding Speaker Award
- Southwestern Association of Microbiology 32nd Annual Meeting Poster Award
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2010)
- College of American Pathologists (2010)
- American Society of Hematology (2009)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (2005)