Dr. Johnson joined the UT Southwestern Medical Center faculty on July 1, 2010 as the Donald W. Seldin Distinguished Chair in Internal Medicine and Chairman of the Department of Internal Medicine. Prior to joining UT Southwestern he was a member of the faculty at the Vanderbilt University Medical School where he held the Cornelius A. Craig Chair of Medical & Surgical Oncology and served as the Director of the Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology and Deputy Director of the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center. He is a Past Chair of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Board of Directors. He is also Past Chair of the ABIM Medical Oncology Subspecialty Board and a Past President of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). During his term as ASCO President he helped advance the organization’s quality of care activity known as the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) and was instrumental in establishing ASCO’s Cancer Survivorship Program. Dr. Johnson has served on the Food and Drug Administration’s Oncology Drug Advisory Committee, as chairman of the Thoracic Committee of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group and on the Board of Directors of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer and the LiveSTRONG Foundation. Dr. Johnson’s research interests involve understanding the biology of lung cancer and improving the treatment of this and other solid tumors. He played a role in the development of the new targeted drugs bevacizumab (Avastin) and erlotinib (Tarceva) both of which are now FDA-approved for the treatment of lung cancer. Dr. Johnson earned his medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia and received medical oncology training at Vanderbilt University.
- Medical School
- Medical College of Georgia (1976)
- Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital (1976), Internal Medicine
- University of South Alabama Medical Center (1979), Internal Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (1983), Hematology Oncology
- Developmental therapeutics
- Lung cancer therapeutics
- Rationale for co-targeting IGF-1R and ALK in ALK fusion-positive lung cancer.
- Lovly CM, McDonald NT, Chen H, Ortiz-Cuaran S, Heukamp LC, Yan Y, Florin A, Ozretic L, Lim D, Wang L, Chen Z, Chen X, Lu P, Paik PK, Shen R, Jin H, Buettner R, Ansén S, Perner S, Brockmann M, Bos M, Wolf J, Gardizi M, Wright GM, Solomon B, Russell PA, Rogers TM, Suehara Y, Red-Brewer M, Tieu R, de Stanchina E, Wang Q, Zhao Z, Johnson DH, Horn L, Wong KK, Thomas RK, Ladanyi M, Pao W Nat. Med. 2014 Aug
- Radiotherapy plus chemotherapy with or without surgical resection for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III randomised controlled trial
- Albain KS, Swann RS, Rusch VW, Turrisi AT, Shepherd FA, Smith C, Chen Y, Livingston RB, Feins RH, Gandara DR, Fry WA, Darling G, Johnson DH, Green MR, Miller RC, Ley J, Sause WT, Cox JD The Lancet 2009 374 379-86
- Paclitaxel-carboplatin alone or with bevacizumab for non-small-cell lung cancer
- Sandler A, Gray R, Perry MC, Brahmer J, Schiller JH, Dowlati A, Lilenbaum R, Johnson DH N Engl J Med 2006 355 2542-50
- Vinorelbine plus cisplatin vs. observation in resected non-small-cell lung cancer
- Winton T, Livingston R, Johnson DH, Rigas J, Johnston M, Butts C, Cormier Y, Goss G, Inculet R, Vallieres E, Fry W, Bethune D, Ayoub J, Ding K, Seymour L, Graham B, Tsao M-S, Gandara D, Kesler K, Demmy T, Shepherd F N Engl J Med 2005 352 2589-97
- Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer
- Schiller JH, Harrington D, Belani CP, Langer C, Sandler A, Krook J, Zhu J, Johnson DH N Engl J Med 2002 346 92-8
- A randomized trial of postoperative adjuvant therapy in patients with completely resected stage II or IIIA non-small-cell lung cancer. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group
- Keller SM, Adak S, Wagner H, Herskovic A, Komaki R, Brooks BJ, Perry MC, Livingston RB, Johnson DH N Engl J Med 2000 343 1217-22
- Twice-daily compared with once-daily thoracic radiotherapy in limited small-cell lung cancer treated concurrently with cisplatin and etoposide
- Turrisi AT, Kim K, Blum R, Sause WT, Livingston RB, Komaki R, Wagner H, Aisner S, Johnson DH N Engl J Med 1999 340 265-71
- Preoperative chemotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data.
- Lancet 2014 May 383 9928 1561-71
- Clinical course of advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients experiencing hypertension during treatment with bevacizumab in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel on ECOG 4599.
- Dahlberg SE, Sandler AB, Brahmer JR, Schiller JH, Johnson DH J Clin Oncol 2010 28 949-54
- Adjuvant chemotherapy, with or without postoperative radiotherapy, in operable non-small-cell lung cancer: two meta-analyses of individual patient data.
- NSCLC Meta-analyses Collaborative Group, Arriagada R, Auperin A, Burdett S, Higgins JP, Johnson DH, Le Chevalier T, Le Pechoux C, Parmar MK, Pignon JP, Souhami RL, Stephens RJ, Stewart LA, Tierney JF, Tribodet H, van Meerbeeck J. The Lancet 2010 375 1267-77
Lung Cancer, Principles & Practice.
Harvey I. Pass, David P. Carbone, David H. Johnson, John D. Minna, G. Scagliotti, Andrew T. Turrisi, eds. (Ed.) (2010). Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Textbook of Uncommon Cancer - 4th ed
D. Raghavan, C.D. Blanke, D.H. Johnson, P.L. Moots, G.H. Reaman, P.G. Rose, M.K. Sekeres; eds (Ed.) (2012). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Blackwell
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Distinguished Achievement Award
- College of Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame, University of Kentucky
- Master, American College of Physicians
- Chairman, American Board of Internal Medicine Board of Directors
- Established Investigator Award, CPRIT
- Association of American Physicians
- Clinical Research Award, Association of Community Cancer Centers
- Distinguished Southern Oncologist Award, Southern Association of Oncology
- President, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Association of American Physicians
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer