Dr. Singal is a Professor of Internal Medicine and Chief of Hepatology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He is an expert in hepatocellular carcinoma and serves as the Medical Director of the UT Southwestern Liver Tumor Program. He has obtained NIH funding, DOD funding, and state-level funding examining the HCC care continuum, ranging from HCC prevention to screening and early detection to treatment and survivorship. Dr. Singal has published over 150 scientific papers regarding HCC screening and treatment. For his work, he has been awarded the David Bruton Professorship in Clinical Cancer Research and Blue Faery Award for Excellence in Liver Cancer Research.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (2003)
- University of Washington School of Medicine (2006), Internal Medicine
- University of Michigan Medical Center (2009), Gastroenterology
- University of Michigan Medical Center (2010), Transplant Hepatology
- Effectiveness of surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma
- Impact of patient and physician knowledge/attitudes on receipt of care
- Quality of care in the cirrhotic patient
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy for HCV Infection is Associated with Increased Survival in Patients With a History of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Singal AG, Rich NE, Mehta N, Branch A, Pillai A, Hoteit M, Volk M, Odewole M, Scaglione S, Guy J, Said A, Feld JJ, John BV, Frenette C, Mantry P, Rangnekar AS, Oloruntoba O, Leise M, Jou JH, Bhamidimarri KR, Kulik L, Ioannou GN, Huang A, Tran T, Samant H, Dhanasekaran R, Duarte-Rojo A, Salgia R, Eswaran S, Jalal P, Flores A, Satapathy SK, Kagan S, Gopal P, Wong R, Parikh ND, Murphy CC, Gastroenterology 2019 Jul
- Evaluation of a multifaceted intervention to reduce health disparities in hepatitis C screening: a pre-post analysis.
- Jain MK, Rich NE, Ahn C, Turner BJ, Sanders JM, Adamson B, Quirk L, Perryman P, Santini NO, Singal AG, Hepatology 2019 Apr
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy not Associated with Recurrence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a Multicenter North American Cohort Study.
- Singal AG, Rich NE, Mehta N, Branch A, Pillai A, Hoteit M, Volk M, Odewole M, Scaglione S, Guy J, Said A, Feld JJ, John BV, Frenette C, Mantry P, Rangnekar AS, Oloruntoba O, Leise M, Jou JH, Bhamidimarri KR, Kulik L, Tran T, Samant H, Dhanasekaran R, Duarte-Rojo A, Salgia R, Eswaran S, Jalal P, Flores A, Satapathy SK, Wong R, Huang A, Misra S, Schwartz M, Mitrani R, Nakka S, Noureddine W, Ho C, Konjeti VR, Dao A, Nelson K, Delarosa K, Rahim U, Mavuram M, Xie JJ, Murphy CC, Parikh ND Gastroenterology 2019 Jan
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma Screening Is Associated With Increased Survival of Patients With Cirrhosis.
- Choi DT, Kum HC, Park S, Ohsfeldt RL, Shen Y, Parikh ND, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 Oct
- Mailed Outreach Invitations Significantly Improve HCC Surveillance Rates in Patients with Cirrhosis: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Singal AG, Tiro JA, Murphy CC, Marrero JA, McCallister K, Fullington H, Mejias C, Waljee AK, Pechero Bishop W, Santini NO, Halm EA Hepatology 2018 Aug
- Primary Care Provider Practice Patterns and Barriers to Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance.
- Simmons OL, Feng Y, Parikh ND, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 Jul
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Presentation and Outcomes of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Rich NE, Hester C, Odewole M, Murphy CC, Parikh ND, Marrero JA, Yopp AC, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 May
- Surveillance Imaging and Alpha Fetoprotein for Early Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients With Cirrhosis: A Meta-analysis.
- Tzartzeva K, Obi J, Rich NE, Parikh ND, Marrero JA, Yopp A, Waljee A, Singal AG Gastroenterology 2018 Feb
- Effect of Colonoscopy Outreach vs Fecal Immunochemical Test Outreach on Colorectal Cancer Screening Completion: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Singal AG, Gupta S, Skinner CS, Ahn C, Santini NO, Agrawal D, Mayorga CA, Murphy C, Tiro JA, McCallister K, Sanders JM, Bishop WP, Loewen AC, Halm EA JAMA 2017 09 318 9 806-815
- Projected increase in obesity and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis-related liver transplantation waitlist additions in the United States.
- Parikh ND, Marrero WJ, Wang J, Steuer J, Tapper EB, Konerman M, Singal AG, Hutton DW, Byon E, Lavieri MS Hepatology 2017 Aug
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Outstanding Research Mentor
- Blue Faery Award for Excellence in Liver Cancer Research
- International Liver Cancer Association Junior Investigator Award
- Lyman Bilhartz Memorial Teaching Award
- Super Doctors Rising Stars
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- AASLD Advanced Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Award
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- Huesby Teaching Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Society
- International Liver Cancer Association (2007)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2006)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2006)