After attending medical school at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, he completed residency in neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, followed by fellowship training in neurocritical care at Johns Hopkins University.
Dr.Sharma is certified in neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, and in neurocritical care by the United Council of Neurological Subspecialties. Prior to his joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020, he served as Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
He serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Neuroimaging and is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Academy of Neurology, Neurocritical Care Society and the American Society of Neuroimaging.
Dr. Sharma has published several clinical and basic science papers along with two book chapters on mechanisms and predictors of recovery after severe neurological injury. Additional he has served as site-investigator for multiple industry-sponsored clinical trials in stroke, subarachnoid hemorrhage and intracerebral hemorrhage. His research interest is prognotication of outcome after severe brain injury. He is currently conducting research into imaging, electrophysiological and biomaker predictors of outcome after anoxic brain injury and traumatic brain injury.
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (2008)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014), Neurology
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2016), Neurocritical Care
- Anoxic brain injury
- Intracerebral hemorrhage
- Ischemic stroke
- Spinal cord injury
- Status epilepticus
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Traumatic brain injury
- CE: Hypertensive Emergencies: A Review.
- Sharma K, Mathews EP, Newton F, Am J Nurs 2021 Oct 121 10 24-35
- Serum Neuron-Specific-Enolase Thresholds for Predicting Postcardiac Arrest Outcome: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Sharma K, John M, Zhang S, Gronseth G, Neurology 2021 Oct
- Cryptococcal Meningoencephalitis During Convalescence From Severe COVID-19 Pneumonia
- Dharani Rohit Thota, Bappaditya Ray, Mirza Hasan, Kartavya Sharma The Neurohospitalist 2021 May 3
- Hematologic Predictors of Endovascular Retreatment for Recurrent Vasospasm in Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Weston Gordon, Brenton Massey, Adam Ranellone, Sanjeev Keshary, Kartavya Sharma and Michael Abraham J Neurol Neurosci 2020 11 4 326
- Post-operative HSV-2 Encephalitis Following Temporal Lobe Resection for Glioblastoma Multiforme (P4. 9-039)
- Prompan Mingbunjerdsuk, Kartavya Sharma, Kathrin Husmann, Sherri A. Braksick Neurology 2019 92 (15 Supplement)
- Abstract TP549: Lymphocyte Count Predicts Poor Clinical Outcome in Patients With Vasospasm Following Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Weston Gordon , Brenton Massey , Kartavya Sharma , Michael Abraham Stroke 2019 50 (Suppl 1) ATP549
- Hemoglobin concentration does not impact 3-month outcome following acute ischemic stroke.
- Sharma K, Johnson DJ, Johnson B, Frank SM, Stevens RD, BMC Neurol 2018 Jun 18 1 78
- Determinants of prognosis in neurocatastrophes.
- Sharma K, Stevens RD Handb Clin Neurol 2017 140 379-395
- Predictive Modeling in Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.
- Stevens RD, Sharma K Crit. Care Med. 2016 Aug 44 8 1613-4
- Delayed onset paraparesis complicating epidural steroid injection with underlying spinal dural arteriovenous fistula.
- Sharma K, Sharma VD Pain Manag 2016 Jul
Astrogliosis and Axonal Regeneration. In Neural Regneration, 1st ed.
Kartavya Sharma, Shuxin Li (2015). Academic Press
Determinants of Prognosis in Neurocatastrophes. In Handbook of Clinical Neurology, Vol 140
Kartavya Sharma, Robert Stevens (2017). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Teva Neuroscience Award, 1st prize
For demonstration of superior neurological knowledge as a resident (2012)
- D.C.Bhutani Medal
Best medial student in Ophthalmology (2008)
- KVPY research fellowship
Scholarship award for promising research by a medical student (2004-2006)
- American Society of Neuroimaging (2017)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2014)
- American Academy of Neurology (2010)