Dr. Raj completed his doctoral training from JU, Gwalior, India. His Ph.D. thesis work was focused on epidemiological and genetic analysis of pulmonary tuberculosis in tribal groups of central India. One of the interesting findings from this work was establishment of LDH2 & LDH3 isoforms as markers of mycobacterial infection load induced cellular stress in TB patients. His research showed that noncoding genetic polymorphisms in Vitamin D receptor (VDR) gene are associated with clinical manifestations of pulmonary TB.
During his postdoctoral training in Wakeland laboratory in the department of immunology at UT Southwestern Medical center, he investigated genetic basis of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Using deep targeted sequencing approach, he made an important discovery demonstrating abundance of SLE associated noncoding, regulatory variations at HLA locus that impact transcription of several key genes of immune system that activate antigen presentation pathway to potentiate autoimmunity in individuals with risk genotype.
Dr. Raj, joined the faculty of Immunology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2018. He is the Director of newly established Microbiome Research Laboratory (MRL) that provide cutting edge facilities to investigate and characterize communities of microorganisms sampled from variety of sources. Dr. Raj and his team at MRL provide microbial sequencing services to basic and translational investigators that are interested in microbiome research.
- Immune system and host genetics
- Microbial genomics
- Microbiome in health and disease
- Next generation sequencing
- MIR205HG Is a Long Noncoding RNA that Regulates Growth Hormone and Prolactin Production in the Anterior Pituitary.
- Du Q, Hoover AR, Dozmorov I, Raj P, Khan S, Molina E, Chang TC, de la Morena MT, Cleaver OB, Mendell JT, van Oers NSC, Dev. Cell 2019 Apr
- Spatial Network Mapping of Pulmonary Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis Cavities Using RNA Sequencing.
- Dheda K, Lenders L, Srivastava S, Magombedze G, Wainwright H, Raj P, Bush SJ, Pollara G, Steyn R, Davids M, Pooran A, Pennel T, Linegar A, McNerney R, Moodley L, Pasipanodya JG, Turner CT, Noursadeghi M, Warren RM, Wakeland E, Gumbo T Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2019 Jan
- Co-circulation dynamics and persistence of newly introduced clades of 2012 outbreak associated West Nile Virus in Texas, 2012-2015.
- Aroh C, Liang C, Raj P, Wakeland B, Yan N, Wakeland E Infect. Genet. Evol. 2018 Aug
- genomic variation on clinical phenotype of children with acute hematogenous osteomyelitis.
- Collins A, Wakeland EK, Raj P, Kim MS, Kim J, Tareen NG, Copley LAB Heliyon 2018 Jun 4 6 e00674
- Drug Penetration Gradients Associated with Acquired Drug Resistance in Tuberculosis Patients.
- Dheda K, Lenders L, Magombedze G, Srivastava S, Raj P, Arning E, Ashcraft P, Bottiglieri T, Wainwright H, Pennel T, Linegar A, Moodley L, Pooran A, Pasipanodya JG, Sirgel FA, van Helden PD, Wakeland E, Warren RM, Gumbo T Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2018 Jun
- Transancestral mapping and genetic load in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Langefeld CD, Ainsworth HC, Cunninghame Graham DS, Kelly JA, Comeau ME, Marion MC, Howard TD, Ramos PS, Croker JA, Morris DL, Sandling JK, Almlöf JC, Acevedo-Vásquez EM, Alarcón GS, Babini AM, Baca V, Bengtsson AA, Berbotto GA, Bijl M, Brown EE, Brunner HI, Cardiel MH, Catoggio L, Cervera R, Cucho-Venegas JM, Dahlqvist SR, D'Alfonso S, Da Silva BM, de la Rúa Figueroa I, Doria A, Edberg JC, Endreffy E, Esquivel-Valerio JA, Fortin PR, Freedman BI, Frostegård J, García MA, de la Torre IG, Gilkeson GS, Gladman DD, Gunnarsson I, Guthridge JM, Huggins JL, James JA, Kallenberg CGM, Kamen DL, Karp DR, Kaufman KM, Kottyan LC, Kovács L, Laustrup H, Lauwerys BR, Li QZ, Maradiaga-Ceceña MA, Martín J, McCune JM, McWilliams DR, Merrill JT, Miranda P, Moctezuma JF, Nath SK, Niewold TB, Orozco L, Ortego-Centeno N, Petri M, Pineau CA, Pons-Estel BA, Pope J, Raj P, Ramsey-Goldman R, Reveille JD, Russell LP, Sabio JM, Aguilar-Salinas CA, Scherbarth HR, Scorza R, Seldin MF, Sjöwall C, Svenungsson E, Thompson SD, Toloza SMA, Truedsson L, Tusié-Luna T, Vasconcelos C, Vilá LM, Wallace DJ, Weisman MH, Wither JE, Bhangale T, Oksenberg JR, Rioux JD, Gregersen PK, Syvänen AC, Rönnblom L, Criswell LA, Jacob CO, Sivils KL, Tsao BP, Schanberg LE, Behrens TW, Silverman ED, Alarcón-Riquelme ME, Kimberly RP, Harley JB, Wakeland EK, Graham RR, Gaffney PM, Vyse TJ Nat Commun 2017 07 8 16021
- RAD51 interconnects between DNA replication, DNA repair and immunity.
- Bhattacharya S, Srinivasan K, Abdisalaam S, Su F, Raj P, Dozmorov I, Mishra R, Wakeland EK, Ghose S, Mukherjee S, Asaithamby A Nucleic Acids Res. 2017 Feb
- Primary osteomyelitis caused by hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- Prokesch BC, TeKippe M, Kim J, Raj P, TeKippe EM, Greenberg DE Lancet Infect Dis 2016 Jul
- DNA polymerase-a regulates the activation of type I interferons through cytosolic RNA:DNA synthesis.
- Starokadomskyy P, Gemelli T, Rios JJ, Xing C, Wang RC, Li H, Pokatayev V, Dozmorov I, Khan S, Miyata N, Fraile G, Raj P, Xu Z, Xu Z, Ma L, Lin Z, Wang H, Yang Y, Ben-Amitai D, Orenstein N, Mussaffi H, Baselga E, Tadini G, Grunebaum E, Sarajlija A, Krzewski K, Wakeland EK, Yan N, de la Morena MT, Zinn AR, Burstein E Nat. Immunol. 2016 May 17 5 495-504
- Regulatory polymorphisms modulate the expression of HLA class II molecules and promote autoimmunity.
- Raj P, Rai E, Song R, Khan S, Wakeland BE, Viswanathan K, Arana C, Liang C, Zhang B, Dozmorov I, Carr-Johnson F, Mitrovic M, Wiley GB, Kelly JA, Lauwerys BR, Olsen NJ, Cotsapas C, Garcia CK, Wise CA, Harley JB, Nath SK, James JA, Jacob CO, Tsao BP, Pasare C, Karp DR, Li QZ, Gaffney PM, Wakeland EK Elife 2016 Feb 5
Genetic diversity in Indian populations: Implications for genetic susceptibility and mapping of complex genetic diseases. In Recent Trends in Biotechnology
Raj P. & P K Tiwari. (2010). New York, ) NOVA publisher, New York
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding paper award for Staphylococcus aureus genome study in children
Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America & European Pediatric Orthopaedic Society, USA (2017-2017)
- Best Poster award
Immunology symposium, Department of Immunology symposium UTSW, Dallas, Texas, USA (2012)
- Young Scientist Award
Madhya Pradesh Council of Science & Technology (MPCST), India (2009)
- Best Poster award
International conference of Medical and Community Genetics at Department of Hematology, India (2008)
- Travel award from CSIR and DBT, India
57th Annual Meeting of American Society of Human Genetics (2007)
- University Topper Research Scholarship, University Grant Commission (UGC)
Jiwaji University, Gwalior, M. P. India (2004-2006)
- American Association of Immunologists (AAI) (2013)
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG) (2007)
- Indian Society of Human Genetics (ISHG) (2006)