Yann-Fuu Kou M.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. His specialty is pediatric Otolaryngology.
Dr. Kou is a native Texan, growing up in Austin, TX. He stayed at UT Austin to earn his Bachelors of Science in Biomedical Engineering. He obtained his medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He completed his residency in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at UT Southwestern then completed a pediatric otolaryngology fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. The focus of his fellowship was pediatric aerodigestive disorders, pediatric obstructive sleep apnea, and complex airway reconstructions.
Dr. Kou is certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology and joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021. Dr. Kou will take part in comprehensive, multidisciplinary clinics to help stream-line care for complex pediatric patients. He will participate in CHAMP (Children’s Health Airway Management Program) and MPAC (Multi-disciplinary Pediatric Aerodigestive Clinic).
Dr. Kou has interest in all aspects of pediatric otolaryngology, but his main areas of clinical and research focus are velopharyngeal insufficiency, aerodigestive disorders, and airway stenosis and reconstruction.
Dr. Kou is a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, the Triological Society, and the American Broncho-esophageal Association.
Areas of Expertise
Otolaryngology , Pediatric Aerodigestive Disorders, Pediatric Airway Stenosis/Reconstruction, Adult Airway Stenosis/Reconstruction, Pediatric Velopharyngeal Insufficiency
Professional Associations and Affiliations
American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
The Triological Society
The American Broncho-esophageal Association
Books and Publications
Kou YF, de Alarcon A, Cohen AP, Rutter MJ Upper Airway Anomalies in: da Cruz E, Ivy D, Hraska V, Jaggers J (ed) Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery and Intensive Care.
Kou YF, Lee KH. Congenital Hearing Loss in Mitchell RB & Pereira KD, ed. Case Studies in Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and Audiology. 1st ed. Anadem Inc. 2019
Kou Y, Rutter MJ, Sandu K, Guilcher P. Pediatric Open Airway Reconstruction. Current Otorhinolaryngology Reports. Jan 2021
Kou Y, Rutter MJ , Laryngeal webs and laryngotracheoesophageal clefts: State of the art. Seminars in Pediatric Surgery May 2021
Li, C, Kou Y, Ishman SL, Pediatric OSA: Evidence-Based Review of Treatment Results. Current Otorhinolaryngology Reports. June 2021
Peer Reviewed Articles:
Kou Y, Kavoosi T, Redman AJ, Manning A, Tabangin M, Myer CM, Hart CK, Rutter MJ, de Alarcon A. Endoscopic Repair of Type 1 Laryngeal Clefts and Deep Interarytenoid Notches: Cold Steel vs Laser. Laryngoscope. 2021, June 29.
Bedard MC, de Alarcon A, Kou Y, Lee D, Sestito A, Duggins AL, Brusadelli M, Lane A, Wikenheiser-Brokamp KA, Wells SI, Smith DF. HPV Strain predicts severity of Juvenile-Onset Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis with implications for disease screening. Cancers (Basel). 2021 May 23
Kou Y, Redmann A, Tabangin ME, Wilcox L, Miller CK, Smith M, Myer C, Hart CK, Rutter MJ, de Alarcon A. Airway and Swallowing Outcomes Following Laryngotracheoplasty with Posterior Grafting in Children. Laryngoscope. 2021. May 25
Salley JR, Kou Y, Shah GB, Johnson RF. Comparing Long-term outcomes in tracheostomy placed in the first year of life. Laryngoscope. 2021 Feb 10
Smith MM, Kou Y, Schweiger C, Lehenbauer DG, de Alarcon A, Rutter MJ. Congenital absence of tracheal or bronchial rings. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Feb
Kou Y, Hunter JB, Kutz JW, Isaacson B, Lee KH. Revision cochlear implantation in a large tertiary center since 1986. Cochlear Implants Intl. July 2020
Kou Y, Wang C, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF. Tonsillectomy outcomes among children with mental health disorders in the United States. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 May
Killeen DE, Tolisano AM, Kou Y, Kutz JW Jr, Isaacson B. Recidivism after endoscopic treatment of cholesteatoma. Otol Neurotol. 2019 Dec
Wang CS, Kou Y, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF. Tracheostomy in extremely preterm neonates in the United States: A cross-sectional analysis. Laryngoscope. 2019 Sept 18
Salley J, Kou Y, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF. Survival analysis and decannulation outcomes of infants with tracheostomies. Laryngoscope. 2020, Oct
Kou Y, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF. A Cross-sectional Analysis of Pediatric Ambulatory Tonsillectomy Surgery in the United States. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck surgery. 2019, Oct
Kou Y, Sakai M, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF. Postoperative respiratory complications and racial disparities following inpatient pediatric tonsillectomy: A cross-sectional study. The Laryngoscope. 2019 Apr
Sakai M, Kou Y, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF. Tracheostomy Demographics and outcomes among Pediatric Patients, Age 18 Years or Younger – United States 2012. The Laryngoscope. 2019 Jul
Kou Y, Killeen DE, Farzal Z, Booth T, Berg E, Mitchell RB, Shah G. Intracranial complications of acute sinusitis in children: the role of endoscopic sinus surgery. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2018, Jul
Zhu VF, Kou Y, Lee KH, Kutz JW Jr, Isaacson B. Transcanal Endocopic Ear Surgery for the Management of Congenital Ossicular Fixation. Otol Neurotol. 2016 Sep
Kou Y, Zhu VF, Kutz JW Jr, Mitchell RB, Isaacson B. Transcanal Endoscopic management of cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea secondary to congenital inner ear malformations. Otol Neurotol. 2016 Jan
Jiang ZY, Kou Y, Batra PS. Endoscopic culture-directed antibiotic therapy: Impact on patient symptoms in chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Otolaryngology. 2015 Sep-Oct
Kou Y, Allen KP, Isaacson B. Recurrent meningitis secondary to a petrous apex meningocele. Am J Otolaryngology. 2014 May-Jun
- Pediatric Airway Disorders
- Pediatric Tracheostomy outcomes
- Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Pediatric Velopharyngeal Insufficiency
- Pediatric Aerodigestive Disorders
- Pediatric Tracheostomy
- Pediatric and adult airway stenosis/reconstruction
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2014)
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2019), Otolaryngology
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (2021)
- Comparing Long-Term Outcomes in Tracheostomy Placed in the First Year of Life.
- Salley JR, Kou YF, Shah GB, Johnson RF, Laryngoscope 2021 Feb
- Congenital Absence of Tracheal or Bronchial Rings.
- Smith MM, Kou YF, Schweiger C, Lehenbauer DG, de Alarcon A, Rutter MJ, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2021 02 164 2 422-426
- Revision pediatric cochlear implantation in a large tertiary center since 1986.
- Kou YF, Hunter JB, Kutz JW, Isaacson B, Lee KH, Cochlear Implants Int 2020 11 21 6 353-357
- Survival analysis and decannulation outcomes of infants with tracheotomies.
- Salley J, Kou YF, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF, Laryngoscope 2020 10 130 10 2319-2324
- Tracheostomy in Extremely Preterm Neonates in the United States: A Cross-Sectional Analysis.
- Wang CS, Kou YF, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF, Laryngoscope 2020 08 130 8 2056-2062
- Tonsillectomy Outcomes among Children with Mental Health Disorders in the United States.
- Kou YF, Wang C, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2020 May 162 5 754-760
- Recidivism After Endoscopic Treatment of Cholesteatoma.
- Killeen DE, Tolisano AM, Kou YF, Kutz JW, Isaacson B, Otol Neurotol 2019 12 40 10 1313-1321
- A Cross-sectional Analysis of Pediatric Ambulatory Tonsillectomy Surgery in the United States.
- Kou YF, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019 10 161 4 699-704
- Tracheostomy demographics and outcomes among pediatric patients ages 18 years or younger-United States 2012.
- Sakai M, Kou YF, Shah GB, Johnson RF, Laryngoscope 2019 07 129 7 1706-1711
- Postoperative respiratory complications and racial disparities following inpatient pediatric tonsillectomy: A cross-sectional study.
- Kou YF, Sakai M, Shah GB, Mitchell RB, Johnson RF, Laryngoscope 2019 04 129 4 995-1000