Jeomi Okwara, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine and a member of the Division of Cardiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She specializes in general cardiology, hypertensive heart disease, and heart failure.
Dr. Okwara earned her medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School. She completed a residency in internal medicine at UT Southwestern and received advanced training in cardiovascular disease through a fellowship at the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque. She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
A former recipient of the Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholarship for Academic Achievement, Dr. Okwara has delivered presentations and published a number of peer-reviewed articles in her specialty.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2014)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Internal Medicine
- University of New Mexico Hospitals (2020), Cardiovascular Disease
- Heart Failure
- Sudden Cardiac Death
- Underserved Populations
- Bendopnea and risk of adverse clinical outcomes in ambulatory patients with systolic heart failure.
- Thibodeau JT, Jenny BE, Maduka JO, Divanji PH, Ayers CR, Araj F, Amin AA, Morlend RM, Mammen PP, Drazner MH Am. Heart J. 2017 Jan 183 102-107
- Use of emerging tobacco products in the United States.
- McMillen R, Maduka J, Winickoff J, J Environ Public Health 2012 2012 989474
Honors & Awards
- Hall of Fame Award
Arlington Athletics (2018)
- Legends of Ivy League Basketball Inaugural Class
- Scholarship for Academic Achievement
Southwestern Medical Foundation (2010-2013)
- Charles H. Moore Outstanding Senior Varsity Athlete Award
Cornell University (2009)
- 400 Club- Athletes' 4.0 Club
- Alpha Phi Alpha Scholarship Recipient
- Deans' List
Cornell University (2008-2009)
- Ivy League Player of the Year
Varsity Women's Basketball, Cornell University (2008)
- Olympic Trials Finalist Long Jump
- Sphinx Head Senior Honor Secret Society
118th Tapping Class, Cornell University (2008)
- Ivy League Rookie of the Year
Varsity Women's Basketball, Cornell University (2006)
- American College of Cardiology