Dr. Cuthbert obtained her medical degree (M.B.B.S.) from the University of Sydney (1973) and undertook internship, residency in medicine and one year of Gastroenterology training at teaching hospitals of the University of Sydney (1973-1976). Between 1977 and 1981, she completed a clinical research fellowship in hepatology and a basic research fellowship in immunology in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern. In 1992, Dr. Cuthbert was awarded the M.D. from the University of Sydney for a thesis entitled "The Role of Lipid Metabolism in Human T Lymphocyte Proliferation".
- Medical School
- University of Sydney (1972), Medicine
- University of Sydney (1973), Medicine
- Ascites and complications of liver disease
- Jaundice and acute hepatitis
- Medical education
- Acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis.
- Warner NS, Cuthbert JA, Bhore R, Rockey DC J. Investig. Med. 2011 Dec 59 8 1244-51
- Hepatitis A: old and new.
- Cuthbert JA Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 2001 Jan 14 1 38-58
- Multiple mechanisms, independent of sterol regulatory element binding proteins, regulate low density lipoprotein gene transcription.
- Makar RS, Lipsky PE, Cuthbert JA J. Lipid Res. 2000 May 41 5 762-74
- Overexpression of cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase (CYP7A) in mice lacking the low density lipoprotein (LDL) receptor gene. LDL transport and plasma LDL concentrations are reduced.
- Spady DK, Cuthbert JA, Willard MN, Meidell RS J. Biol. Chem. 1998 Jan 273 1 126-32
- Regulation of proliferation and Ras localization in transformed cells by products of mevalonate metabolism.
- Cuthbert JA, Lipsky PE Cancer Res. 1997 Aug 57 16 3498-505
- Hepatitis C: progress and problems.
- Cuthbert JA Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 1994 Oct 7 4 505-32
- Inhibition by 6-fluoromevalonate demonstrates that mevalonate or one of the mevalonate phosphates is necessary for lymphocyte proliferation.
- Cuthbert JA, Lipsky PE J. Biol. Chem. 1990 Oct 265 30 18568-75
- Detection of familial hypercholesterolemia by assaying functional low-density-lipoprotein receptors on lymphocytes.
- Cuthbert JA, East CA, Bilheimer DW, Lipsky PE N. Engl. J. Med. 1986 Apr 314 14 879-83
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Clinical Science Educator
- Fellow of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- D Magazine - Best Doctor
1999, 2005 (2008-2015)
- Distinguished Teaching Professor
- Southwestern Academy of Teachers
Founding member (2006)
- UT Academy of Health Science Education
Founding member (2005)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease