Dr. Cuthbert obtained her medical degree (M.B.B.S.) from the University of Sydney (1973) and undertook internship, residency in medicine and one year of Gastroenterology training at teaching hospitals of the University of Sydney (1973-1976). Between 1977 and 1981, she completed a clinical research fellowship in hepatology and a basic research fellowship in immunology in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern. In 1992, Dr. Cuthbert was awarded the M.D. from the University of Sydney for a thesis entitled "The Role of Lipid Metabolism in Human T Lymphocyte Proliferation".
- Medical School
- University of Sydney (1972), Medicine
- University of Sydney (1973), Medicine
- Ascites and complications of liver disease
- Jaundice and acute hepatitis
- Medical education
- Alcoholic Hepatitis: Risk Factors, Pathogenesis, and Approach to Treatment.
- Yeluru A, Cuthbert JA, Casey L, Mitchell MC Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 2016 Feb 40 2 246-55
- Lactulose vs Polyethylene Glycol 3350-Electrolyte Solution for Treatment of Overt Hepatic Encephalopathy: The HELP Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Rahimi RS, Singal AG, Cuthbert JA, Rockey DC JAMA Intern Med 2014 Sep
- Predicting Short-Term Mortality and Long-Term Survival for Hospitalized US Patients with Alcoholic Hepatitis.
- Cuthbert JA, Arslanlar S, Yepuri J, Montrose M, Ahn CW, Shah JP Dig. Dis. Sci. 2014 Jan
- Long-term benefit of hepatitis C therapy in a safety net hospital system: a cross-sectional study with median 5-year follow-up.
- Singal AG, Dharia TD, Malet PF, Alqahtani S, Zhang S, Cuthbert JA BMJ Open 2013 3 9 e003231
- Elevated ammonia concentrations: Potential for pre-analytical and analytical contributing factors.
- Hashim IA, Cuthbert JA Clin. Biochem. 2014 Aug
- Establishing, harmonizing and analyzing critical values in a large academic health center.
- Hashim IA, Cuthbert JA Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 2014 Mar
- An Automated Model Using Electronic Medical Record Data Identifies Patients with Cirrhosis at High Risk for Readmission.
- Singal AG, Rahimi RS, Clark C, Ma Y, Cuthbert JA, Rockey DC, Amarasingham R Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2013 Apr
- Multiple factors contribute to positive results for hepatitis A virus immunoglobulin M antibody.
- Alatoom A, Ansari MQ, Cuthbert J Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2013 Jan 137 1 90-5
- Predictors of liver transplant eligibility for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in a safety net hospital.
- Singal AG, Chan V, Getachew Y, Guerrero R, Reisch JS, Cuthbert JA Dig. Dis. Sci. 2012 Feb 57 2 580-6
- Continuous Furosemide Infusion in the Management of Ascites.
- Rogers NA, Gupta S, Cuthbert JA Journal of investigative medicine : the official publication of the American Federation for Clinical Research 2012 Feb
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Clinical Science Educator
- Fellow of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- D Magazine - Best Doctor
1999, 2005 (2008-2015)
- Distinguished Teaching Professor
- Southwestern Academy of Teachers
Founding member (2006)
- UT Academy of Health Science Education
Founding member (2005)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease