Dr. Cunningham is a member of the Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) Division in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is chairman emeritus of obstetrics and gynecology (OBGYN Chair 1983-2004) and a world-recognized authority on the hematological and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. He was the chief author/editor of the textbook Williams Obstetrics from the 18th through the 25th editions.
A graduate of Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans (1968), Dr. Cunningham completed his internship at Confederate Memorial Center in Shreveport and his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Louisiana State University Charity Hospital at New Orleans (1968-1973). In 1972 he came to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UT Southwestern to train as a postdoctoral research fellow under Jack A. Pritchard, M.D. In 1973, he joined the faculty of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and served as an attending physician at Parkland Memorial Hospital before becoming Chief of Obstetrics in 1981. From 1982 to 2006, he was Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Parkland Memorial Hospital.
Board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and in the subspecialty of maternal-fetal medicine, Dr. Cunningham's clinical responsibilities are in the Parkland Health and Hospital System. He serves as attending physician in the Parkland obstetrical complications clinics, labor and delivery, and obstetrical operating room where he oversees and mentors medical students, residents, and MFM fellows.
- Medical School
- Louisiana State University School of Medicine (1968)
- Confederate Memorial Medical Center (1969), Ob/ Gyn
- Louisiana State University - Charity Hospital at New Orleans (1972), Ob/ Gyn
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1973), Maternal-fetal Medicine
- Medical/surgical disorders in pregnancy
- Obstetrical emergencies
- Liver Injury in Hemolysis, Elevated Liver Enzymes, and Low Platelets Syndrome Measured by Diffusion-Weighted Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Nelson DB, Khan A, Bailey A, Yokoo T, Pedrosa I, McIntire DD, Cunningham FG Am J Perinatol 2017 Dec
- Frequency and Consequences of Ventricular Hypertrophy in Pregnant Women with Treated Chronic Hypertension.
- Ambia AM, Morgan JL, Wilson KL, Roberts SW, Wells CE, Mcintire DD, Sanghavi M, Nelson DB, Cunningham FG Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2017 Jun
- Impact of Pregnancy on Maternal Cardiac Atria.
- Martin RB, Nelson DB, Stewart R, Matulevicius S, McIntire DD, Cunningham FG Am J Perinatol 2017 Jun
- Diabetic ketoacidosis complicating pregnancy.
- Bryant SN, Herrera CL, Nelson DB, Cunningham FG J Neonatal Perinatal Med 2017 Mar
Williams Obstetrics, 25th Edition
Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY (Ed.) (2018). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Operative Obstetrics, 3rd Edition
Yeomans ER, Hoffman BL, Gilstrap LC III, Cunningham FG (Ed.) (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Chesley's Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy, 4th Edition
Taylor RN, Roberts JM, Cunningham FG, Lindheimer MD (Ed.) (2014). New York, Elsevier
Williams Gynecology, 1st Edition
Schorge JO, Schaffer JI, Halvorson LM, Hoffman BL, Bradshaw KD, Cunningham FG (Ed.) (2008). New York, McGraw Hill
Honors & Awards
- 1983 - 2005: Chairman, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 1995- present: Beatrice and Miguel Elias Distinguished Chair in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation
- Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Texas Medical Association