Dr. Cullum is a Clinical Neuropsychologist who specializes in the assessment of cognitive disorders. He is board-certified in Clinical Neuropsychology (ABPP/ABCN) and serves as the Vice Chair and Chief of the Division of Psychology in the Department of Psychiatry, where he holds the Pamela Blumenthal Distinguished Professorship in Clinical Psycology. He is the PI of the Concussion-Texas (ConTex) studies, serves as the Scientific Director of the Texas Alzheimer's Research and Care Consortium (TARCC) and is co-leader of Clinical Core Leader in the UTSW Alzheimer's Disease Center. He is a past-president of the Society for Clinical Neuropsychology and the National Academy of Neuropsychology and the in coming President of the Sports Neuropsychology Society. He is actively involved in research, teaching, and clinical practice in neuropsychology. His research includes investigations into short and long term effects of concussion and early detedction and differential diagnosis of neurodegenerative conditions of agine. His clinical research lab is also involved in cognitive test development and in telemedicine applications of neuropsychology.
- Undergraduate School
- Pacific Lutheran University (1981), Psychology
- Medical School
- University of Texas (1985)
- University of California San Diego VA Medical Center (1986), Clinical Psychology
- Graduate School
- University Health Services (1986)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University Health Services (1986)
- University of California San Diego VA Medical Center (1988), Clinical Neuropsychology
- Clinical Neuropsychology
- Cognitive test development
- Dementia and Memory disorders
- Telemedicine applications in neuropsychology
- Traumatic brain injury and sports concussion
- The North Texas Concussion Registry (ConTex).
- Cullum CM, Bunt S, Hicks C, Didehbani N, Miller S, Vargas B, Sabo T, Bell K, Batjer HH, BMJ Open 2020 Jan 10 1 e032345
- Brain Perfusion Change in Patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment After 12 Months of Aerobic Exercise Training.
- Thomas BP, Tarumi T, Sheng M, Tseng B, Womack KB, Cullum CM, Rypma B, Zhang R, Lu H, J. Alzheimers Dis. 2020 75 2 617-631
- Cerebral White Matter Integrity in Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment: A 1-Year Randomized Controlled Trial of Aerobic Exercise Training.
- Tarumi T, Thomas BP, Tseng BY, Wang C, Womack KB, Hynan L, Lu H, Cullum CM, Zhang R, J. Alzheimers Dis. 2019 Nov
- Utility of Brief Psychological Measures for Prediction of Prolonged Symptom Clearance in Concussed Student Athletes.
- Wilmoth K, Curcio N, Tarkenton T, Meredith-Duliba T, Tan A, Didehbani N, Hynan LS, Miller SM, Bell KR, Cullum CM, Arch Clin Neuropsychol 2019 Nov
- Associations of Race-Ethnicity and History of Traumatic Brain Injury With Age at Onset of Alzheimer's Disease.
- Bailey KC, Burmaster SA, Schaffert J, LoBue C, Vela D, Rossetti H, Cullum CM, J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 2019 Oct appineuropsych19010002
- Neuropsychological functioning in ageing retired NFL players: a critical review.
- Schaffert J, LoBue C, Fields L, Wilmoth K, Didehbani N, Hart J, Cullum CM, Int Rev Psychiatry 2019 Oct 1-18
- Neurocognitive Effects of Combined Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) and Venlafaxine in Geriatric Depression: Phase 1 of the PRIDE Study.
- Lisanby SH, McClintock SM, Alexopoulos G, Bailine SH, Bernhardt E, Briggs MC, Cullum CM, Deng ZD, Dooley M, Geduldig ET, Greenberg RM, Husain MM, Kaliora S, Knapp RG, Latoussakis V, Liebman LS, McCall WV, Mueller M, Petrides G, Prudic J, Rosenquist PB, Rudorfer MV, Sampson S, Teklehaimanot AA, Tobias KG, Weiner RD, Young RC, Kellner CH, Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2019 Oct
- Association Between Sleep Quality and Recovery Following Sport-Related Concussion in Pediatrics.
- Chung JS, Zynda AJ, Didehbani N, Hicks C, Hynan LS, Miller SM, Bell KR, Cullum CM, J. Child Neurol. 2019 May 883073819849741
- Clinical outcomes of normal pressure hydrocephalus in 116 patients: objective versus subjective assessment.
- Wu EM, El Ahmadieh TY, Kafka B, Caruso JP, Neeley OJ, Plitt AR, Aoun SG, Olson D, Ruchinskas RA, Cullum CM, Welch BG, Batjer HH, White JA, J. Neurosurg. 2019 Apr 1-7
- Rationale and methods for a multicenter clinical trial assessing exercise and intensive vascular risk reduction in preventing dementia (rrAD Study).
- Szabo-Reed AN, Vidoni E, Binder EF, Burns J, Cullum CM, Gahan WP, Gupta A, Hynan LS, Kerwin DR, Rossetti H, Stowe AM, Vongpatanasin W, Zhu DC, Zhang R, Keller JN, Contemp Clin Trials 2019 Apr 79 44-54
Mild brain injury: A Clinician's Guide
Raymond, M., Bennett, T.L., Hartlage, L., & Cullum, C.M. (1999). Plenum Press
Introduction to Clinical Neuropsychology
Naugle, R.I., Cullum, C.M., & Bigler, E.D. (1998). Austin, TX, Pro-Ed
Honors & Awards
Sports Neuropsychology Society (2020-2022)
Sports Neuropsychology Society (2018)
- Board of Governors, International Neuropsychological Society
- Honored Mentor Award
National Academy of Neuropsychology (2012)
- President, American Psychological Association, Neuropsychology Division (40)
- Member at Large, American Psychological Association, Division of Clinical Neuropsychology
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- Pam Blumenthal Distinguished Professorship
Distinguished Professorship in Psychology (2003)
American Psychological Association (Divisions 40 & 12) (1999)
- President, National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Ornish Award
Alzheimer Disease Research (1998)
National Academy of Neuropsychology (1992)
- Sports Neuropsychology Society (2012)
- Society of Clinical Psychology (Division 12 of APA) (2000)
- Clinical Neuropsychology Division, APA (Division 40) (1982)
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- American Psychological Association
- International Neuropsychological Society
- National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Texas Psychological Association