Dr. Cullum is a Clinical Neuropsychologist who specializes in the assessment of cognitive disorders. He is board-certified in Clinical Neuropsychology (ABPP/ABCN) and serves as the Vice Chair and Chief of the Division of Psychology in the Department of Psychiatry, where he holds the Pamela Blumenthal Distinguished Professorship in Clinical Psycology. He is the PI of the Concussion-Texas (ConTex) studies, serves as the Scientific Director of the Texas Alzheimer's Research and Care Consortium (TARCC) and is co-leader of Clinical Core Leader in the UTSW Alzheimer's Disease Center. He is a past-president of the Society for Clinical Neuropsychology and the National Academy of Neuropsychology and the in coming President of the Sports Neuropsychology Society. He is actively involved in research, teaching, and clinical practice in neuropsychology. His research includes investigations into short and long term effects of concussion and early detedction and differential diagnosis of neurodegenerative conditions of agine. His clinical research lab is also involved in cognitive test development and in telemedicine applications of neuropsychology.
- Undergraduate School
- Pacific Lutheran University (1981), Psychology
- Medical School
- University of Texas (1985)
- University of California San Diego VA Medical Center (1986), Clinical Psychology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University Health Services (1986)
- Graduate School
- University Health Services (1986)
- University of California San Diego VA Medical Center (1988), Clinical Neuropsychology
- Clinical Neuropsychology
- Cognitive test development
- Dementia and Memory disorders
- Telemedicine applications in neuropsychology
- Traumatic brain injury and sports concussion
- Older Adults with Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment Exhibit Exacerbated Gait Slowing under Dual-Task Challenges.
- Tseng BY, Cullum CM, Zhang R Curr Alzheimer Res 2014 May
- Computerized neurocognitive testing in the management of sport-related concussion: an update.
- Resch JE, McCrea MA, Cullum CM Neuropsychol Rev 2013 Dec 23 4 335-49
- Depressive symptoms and white matter dysfunction in retired NFL players with concussion history.
- Strain J, Didehbani N, Cullum CM, Mansinghani S, Conover H, Kraut MA, Hart J, Womack KB Neurology 2013 May
- Neuroimaging of Cognitive Dysfunction and Depression in Aging Retired National Football League Players: A Cross-sectional Study.
- Hart J, Kraut MA, Womack KB, Strain J, Didehbani N, Bartz E, Conover H, Mansinghani S, Lu H, Cullum CM JAMA Neurol 2013 Jan 1-10
- Initial practice recommendations for teleneuropsychology.
- Grosch MC, Gottlieb MC, Cullum CM Clin Neuropsychol 2011 Oct 25 7 1119-33
- Phase II Trial of Hippocampal-Sparing Whole Brain Irradiation with Simultaneous Integrated Boost (HSIB-WBRT) for Metastatic Cancer.
- Westover KD, Mendel JT, Dan T, Kumar K, Gao A, Pulipparacharuv S, Iyengar P, Nedzi L, Hannan R, Anderson J, Choe KS, Jiang W, Abdulrahman R, Rahimi A, Folkert M, Laine A, Presley C, Cullum CM, Choy H, Ahn C, Timmerman R, Neuro-oncology 2020 Apr
- Clinical and neuropsychological profile of patients with dementia and chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
- LoBue C, Schaffert J, Cullum CM, Peters ME, Didehbani N, Hart J, White CL, J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 2020 Apr
- Chronic traumatic encephalopathy: understanding the facts and debate.
- LoBue C, Schaffert J, Cullum CM, Curr Opin Psychiatry 2020 Mar 33 2 130-135
- Risk factors for earlier dementia onset in autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's disease, mixed Alzheimer's with Lewy bodies, and pure Lewy body disease.
- Schaffert J, LoBue C, White CL, Wilmoth K, Didehbani N, Lacritz L, Nguyen T, Peters ME, Fields L, Li C, Cullum CM, Alzheimers Dement 2020 Feb
- Sex Differences and Reporting of SCAT-5 Concussion Symptoms in Adolescent Athletes.
- Bunt SC, Didehbani N, Tarkenton T, Rossetti H, Hicks C, Vargas B, Silver C, Nakonezny P, Bell K, Batjer H, Cullum CM, Clin J Sport Med 2020 Jan
Mild brain injury: A Clinician's Guide
Raymond, M., Bennett, T.L., Hartlage, L., & Cullum, C.M. (1999). Plenum Press
Introduction to Clinical Neuropsychology
Naugle, R.I., Cullum, C.M., & Bigler, E.D. (1998). Austin, TX, Pro-Ed
Honors & Awards
Sports Neuropsychology Society (2020-2022)
Sports Neuropsychology Society (2018)
- Board of Governors, International Neuropsychological Society
- Honored Mentor Award
National Academy of Neuropsychology (2012)
- President, American Psychological Association, Neuropsychology Division (40)
- Member at Large, American Psychological Association, Division of Clinical Neuropsychology
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- Pam Blumenthal Distinguished Professorship
Distinguished Professorship in Psychology (2003)
American Psychological Association (Divisions 40 & 12) (1999)
- President, National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Ornish Award
Alzheimer Disease Research (1998)
National Academy of Neuropsychology (1992)
- Sports Neuropsychology Society (2012)
- Society of Clinical Psychology (Division 12 of APA) (2000)
- Clinical Neuropsychology Division, APA (Division 40) (1982)
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- American Psychological Association
- International Neuropsychological Society
- National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Texas Psychological Association