Mark Goldberg, M.D. is Professor of Neurology, Associate Vice President of Institutional Advancement, and a member of the Peter O’Donnell Jr. Brain Institute at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Goldberg is a board-certified neurologist with additional certification in vascular neurology. An expert in stroke care, Dr. Goldberg focuses his research on new treatment approaches to prevent brain injury and to improve recovery following stroke. He is as a leader of the Lone Star Stroke Consortium, which spans 6 academic medical centers to promote stroke research across Texas, and NeuroNEXT, a clinical trials network of the National Institutes of Health. He has a special interest in promoting communication and community engagement in brain science.
Dr. Goldberg served as Chairman of the UT Southwestern Department of Neurology from 2010 to 2018, during which he helped propel a major expansion of the department’s clinical, research, and training missions. Over this period, neurology opened new services at Clements University Hospital and Parkland Hospital (both certified as Comprehensive Stroke and Level 4 Epilepsy Centers), expanded subspecialty clinical teams, tripled residency and fellowship positions, and established important campus-wide infrastructure for research in translational and clinical neuroscience.
Dr. Goldberg received his undergraduate education at Harvard College (B.A. in Biology, Cum Laude) and M.D. degree at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He completed training as intern, resident, and chief Resident in Neurology at Stanford Hospital. Following additional research training at Stanford University, he joined the faculty of Washington University School of Medicine (St. Louis), where he rose to Professor of Neurology, Neuroscience, and Biomedical Engineering. He served as the founding Director of the Hope Center for Neurological Disorders, a campus-wide initiative promoting interdisciplinary research on brain diseases affecting patient of all ages. In addition to individual R01 grants for his laboratory, he led several team NIH grants including a Program Project Grant, Neuroscience Blueprint Center Grant, and multiple shared instrumentation grants.
Dr. Goldberg is committed to promoting training and research development at all levels. At UT Southwestern he is director of the NINDS Network of Excellence in Neuroscience (NeuroNEXT) Early Stage Investigator program and faculty mentor for the NIH CTA Clinical Scholars program. At Washington University he was co-head of the Cerebrovascular Disease Section, neurology clerkship director, Training/Development Core director for the NINDS Specialized Programs of Translational Research in Acute Stroke (SPOTRIAS) Network, and director of the Hope Center fellowship program. He received several campus-wide awards for excellence in medical student and resident teaching.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1984)
- Stanford University Medical Center (1985), Internal Medicine
- Stanford University Medical Center (1989), Neurology
- Stanford University Medical Center (1991), Research
- Axon Injury
- Brain repair
- Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy
- Stroke Recovery
- Stroke Systems of Care
- Forelimb Cortical Stroke Reduces Precision of Motor Control in Mice.
- Becker AM, Betz DM, Goldberg MP, Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2020 May 1545968320921825
- B cells migrate into remote brain areas and support neurogenesis and functional recovery after focal stroke in mice.
- Ortega SB, Torres VO, Latchney SE, Whoolery CW, Noorbhai IZ, Poinsatte K, Selvaraj UM, Benson MA, Meeuwissen AJM, Plautz EJ, Kong X, Ramirez DM, Ajay AD, Meeks JP, Goldberg MP, Monson NL, Eisch AJ, Stowe AM, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2020 Feb
- Visualization and Quantification of Post-stroke Neural Connectivity and Neuroinflammation Using Serial Two-Photon Tomography in the Whole Mouse Brain.
- Poinsatte K, Betz D, Torres VO, Ajay AD, Mirza S, Selvaraj UM, Plautz EJ, Kong X, Gokhale S, Meeks JP, Ramirez DMO, Goldberg MP, Stowe AM, Front Neurosci 2019 13 1055
- Leucine Zipper-Bearing Kinase Is a Critical Regulator of Astrocyte Reactivity in the Adult Mammalian CNS.
- Chen M, Geoffroy CG, Meves JM, Narang A, Li Y, Nguyen MT, Khai VS, Kong X, Steinke CL, Carolino KI, Elzière L, Goldberg MP, Jin Y, Zheng B Cell Rep 2018 Mar 22 13 3587-3597
- Closed-loop neuromodulation restores network connectivity and motor control after spinal cord injury.
- Ganzer PD, Darrow MJ, Meyers EC, Solorzano BR, Ruiz AD, Robertson NM, Adcock KS, James JT, Jeong HS, Becker AM, Goldberg MP, Pruitt DT, Hays SA, Kilgard MP, Rennaker RL Elife 2018 Mar 7
- Promoting Bedside Nurse-Led Research Through a Dedicated Neuroscience Nursing Research Fellowship.
- Stutzman S, Olson D, Supnet C, Harper C, Brown-Cleere S, McCulley B, Goldberg M J Nurs Adm 2016 Dec 46 12 648-653
- Seven-Year Experience From the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke-Supported Network for Excellence in Neuroscience Clinical Trials.
- Cudkowicz M, Chase MK, Coffey CS, Ecklund DJ, Thornell BJ, Lungu C, Mahoney K, Gutmann L, Shefner JM, Staley KJ, Bosch M, Foster E, Long JD, Bayman EO, Torner J, Yankey J, Peters R, Huff T, Conwit RA, Shinnar S, Patch D, Darras BT, Ellis A, Packer RJ, Marder KS, Chiriboga CA, Henchcliffe C, Moran JA, Nikolov B, Factor SA, Seeley C, Greenberg SM, Amato AA, DeGregorio S, Simuni T, Ward T, Kissel JT, Kolb SJ, Bartlett A, Quinn JF, Keith K, Levine SR, Gilles N, Coyle PK, Lamb J, Wolfe GI, Crumlish A, Mejico L, Iqbal MM, Bowen JD, Tongco C, Nabors LB, Bashir K, Benge M, McDonald CM, Henricson EK, Oskarsson B, Dobkin BH, Canamar C, Glauser TA, Woo D, Molloy A, Clark P, Vollmer TL, Stein AJ, Barohn RJ, Dimachkie MM, Le Pichon JB, Benatar MG, Steele J, Wechsler L, Clemens PR, Amity C, Holloway RG, Annis C, Goldberg MP, Andersen M, Iannaccone ST, Smith AG, Singleton JR, Doudova M, Haley EC, Quigg MS, Lowenhaupt S, Malow BA, Adkins K, Clifford DB, Teshome MA, Connolly N, JAMA Neurol 2020 Mar
- Short-Chain Fatty Acids Improve Poststroke Recovery via Immunological Mechanisms.
- Sadler R, Cramer JV, Heindl S, Kostidis S, Betz D, Zuurbier KR, Northoff BH, Heijink M, Goldberg MP, Plautz EJ, Roth S, Malik R, Dichgans M, Holdt LM, Benakis C, Giera M, Stowe AM, Liesz A, J. Neurosci. 2020 Jan 40 5 1162-1173
- Piloting a Sex-Specific, Technology-Enhanced, Active Learning Intervention for Stroke Prevention in Women.
- Dirickson A, Stutzman SE, Alberts MJ, Novakovic RL, Stowe AM, Beal CC, Goldberg MP, Olson DM J Neurosci Nurs 2017 Dec 49 6 349-354
- Cystic Lesions as a Rare Complication of Deep Brain Stimulation.
- Sharma VD, Bona AR, Mantovani A, Miocinovic S, Khemani P, Goldberg MP, Foote KD, Whitworth LA, Chitnis S, Okun MS Mov Disord Clin Pract 2016 Jan-Feb 3 1 87-90
Pathophysiology of ischemic white matter injury.. In Primer on Cerebrovascular Diseases, 2nd edition (L.R. Caplan et al., eds.).
Mirza S, Goldberg MP. (2017). London, Elsevier Academic Press
Serial Multiphoton Tomography and Analysis of Volumetric Images of the Mouse Brain. In Neuromethods v. 148: Multiphoton Microscopy
Denise M. O. Ramirez, Apoorva D. Ajay, Mark P. Goldberg, Julian P. Meeks (2019). New York, NY, Humana
White matter pathophysiology.. In Stroke, 6th edition (J. C. Grotta et al., eds.)
Ransom BR, Goldberg MP, Arai K, Baltan S. (2016). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Neurology Teacher Award
- Clinical Teacher of the Year Award
Washington University (2008)
- Clinical Teacher of the Year Award
Washington University (2006)
American Heart Association, Greater St. Louis Division (2002)
- Mary Jane Thaman Award American Heart Association for St. Louis Community Service
- Established Investigator Award American Heart Association
- William Randolph Hearst Foundation Award
- Clinical Investigator Development Award (CIDA) National Institute of Neurologic Disorders and Stroke, NIH
- Fellow, Stroke Council - American Heart Association
- Dana Foundation Fellowship
- S. Weir Mitchell Award - American Academy of Neurology
- Peter O'Donnell Jr. Brain Institute (2015)
- Society for Neuroscience (1985)
- American Heart Association
- American Neurological Association