John V. Cox, DO, MBA, FACP, FASCO is a practicing oncologist in Dallas, Texas. In 2015 he joined UT Southwestern as the Medical Director of Oncology Services @ Parkland Health and Hospital System. He completed a fellowship in medical oncology and hematology at UT Southwestern and after a stint on the faculty at UT Southwestern, he entered private practice in Dallas – practicing for over 25 years, most of that interval with Texas Oncology, P.A.. His interests focus on GI oncology and the delivery of care. He did return to school and completed an MBA with a certificate in medical management from University of Texas Dallas in 2008. He was an active leader in his hospital medical staff at Methodist Hospitals of Dallas and his group practice. He is active in the Texas Society of Medical Oncology (past President, current board member), and is the state of Texas oncology representative to the Texas Carrier Advisory Committee of Novitas. He also served as a member of CMS’ Medicare Evidence Development & Coverage Advisory Committee from 2006 to 2010.
Dr. Cox is an active volunteer in ASCO and is a liaison member of the Clinical Practice Committee, which he chaired, 2005-2006. He has served on ASCO’s HIT Workgroup since its formation in 2005 - 13, and is a past-Chair. He has been a liaison of ASCO to the American College of Physicians’ Council of Sub-specialty Societies (CSS) and represents ASCO on the CSS workgroup on the patient centered medical home / Neighbor. He is a member of ASCO’s payment reform workgroup, and active in ASCO’s efforts to evaluate / codify new practice models. He is the Education Chair for ASCO’s 2015 annual meeting. He has served as a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO); and beginning in January of 2009, he became the editor of the Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP).
- Ethical challenges: oncologists' role in immigrant health care.
- Jepson VA, Cox JV, Peppercorn J J Oncol Pract 2010 Sep 6 5 247-8
- Provisional clinical opinion.
- Haller DG, Cox JV J Oncol Pract 2009 Mar 5 2 73
- Patient-centered medical home: renewing primary care.
- Cox JV, Kirschner N J Oncol Pract 2008 Nov 4 6 285-6
- Capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) versus 5-fluorouracil/folinic acid plus oxaliplatin (FOLFOX-4) as second-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized phase III noninferiority study.
- Rothenberg ML, Cox JV, Butts C, Navarro M, Bang YJ, Goel R, Gollins S, Siu LL, Laguerre S, Cunningham D Ann. Oncol. 2008 Oct 19 10 1720-6
- Managing breast cancer in the renal transplant patient: a unique dilemma.
- Self M, Dunn E, Cox J, Brinker K Am Surg 2006 Feb 72 2 150-3
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Statesman Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2012)
- Beta Gamma Sigma, UT Dallas Chapter
International honor Society for Business Schools (2008)
- Attending Physician of the Year
Internal Medicine, Methodist Hospital Dallas (1992-1993)
- Best Doctors - Texas
- Super Doctors - Texas
Texas Monthly Magazine
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2015)
- National Committee for Quality Assurance (2012)
- American College of Physicians (2011)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2011)
- Texas Medical Association (2000)
- Texas Society of Clinical Oncology (1999)