Sonja Bartolome, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. She specializes in pulmonary hypertension and chronic thromboembolism and serves as Medical Director of the Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension Program. Additionally, she serves as the UT Southwestern Health System's Associate Chief Quality Officer.
Pulmonary hypertension is treatable and worth treating. Our goal is to help patients breathe well enough to get back to their lives and live well.
Originally from Kansas, Dr. Bartolome holds a bachelor's degree in biology from the University of Texas at Arlington. She received her medical degree from the University of Kansas School of Medicine, where she also completed her residency in internal medicine, served as Chief Resident, and then completed a fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine, pulmonary disease, and critical care medicine, Dr. Bartolome joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2010.
Dr. Bartolome's research interests include new treatments for pulmonary hypertension and better ways to use existing medications to treat the disease.
She is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Chest Physicians, American Thoracic Society, International Society of Heart Lung Transplantation, International Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension Association, and the Vizient Academic Medical Centers Chief Quality Officer Network.
- Medical School
- University of Kansas School of Medicine (1999)
- University of Kansas Medical Center (2003), Internal Medicine
- University of Kansas Medical Center (2006), Pulmonary Medicine
- EXPRESS: Long term study of oral treprostinil to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension: dosing, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics.
- White RJ, Parikh K, Allen R, Feldman J, Jerjez-Sanchez C, Pan L, Keogh AM, Vizza CD, Shapiro SM, Gordon K, Broderick M, Bartolome S, Pulm Circ 2019 Jul 2045894019866335
- Balloon Pulmonary Angioplasty for Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension.
- Sanampudi S, Bartolome S, Kalva S, J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019 Jul 30 7 1081
- Portopulmonary Hypertension: A Survey of Practice Patterns and Provider Attitudes.
- DuBrock HM, Salgia RJ, Sussman NL, Bartolome SD, Kadry Z, Mulligan DC, Jenkins S, Lackore K, Channick RN, Kawut SM, Krowka MJ, Transplant Direct 2019 Jun 5 6 e456
- Deferoxamine mimics the pattern of hypoxia-related injury at the microvasculature.
- Bartolome S, Dhillon NK, Buch S, Casillan AJ, Wood JG, O'Brien-Ladner AR, Shock 2009 May 31 5 481-5
- Activated protein C attenuates microvascular injury during systemic hypoxia.
- Bartolome S, Wood JG, Casillan AJ, Simpson SQ, O'Brien-Ladner AR, Shock 2008 Mar 29 3 384-7
- Sildenafil for pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Bartolome SD, Channick RN Future Cardiol 2006 Mar 2 2 137-43
- Clinical microbiological case: esophago-airway fistula in an AIDS patient.
- Bartolome S, Klotz SA, Bartholomew W, Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 2002 Mar 8 3 189-90
Honors & Awards
- Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2015-2022)
- Super Doctors Rising Star
Texas Monthly (2012-2014)
- Faculty Leadership Academy
University of Kansas (2009)
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Leadership Development Program
American College of Chest Physicians (2009)
- Max S Allen Clinical Scholar Award
University of Kansas (2006)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2005)
- American College of Chest Physicians (2003)
- American Thoracic Society (2006)
- International Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension Association
- International Society of Heart Lung Transplantation (2015)
- Pulmonary Hypertension Clinicians and Researchers
- Vizient Academic Medical Center Chief Quality Officer Network (2019)