Sonja Bartolome, M.D., is a Professor in UT Southwestern Medical Center's Department of Internal Medicine. She specializes in pulmonary hypertension and chronic thromboembolism and is Medical Director of the Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension Program.
Dr. Bartolome received her medical degree from the University of Kansas School of Medicine, where she also completed her residency in internal medicine, was a chief resident, and then completed a fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine.
Prior to joining UT Southwestern in 2010, she was an Assistant Professor of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Kansas.
In addition to treating patients, Dr. Bartolome researches new treatments for pulmonary hypertension, as well as better ways to use existing medications to treat the disease.
Texas Monthly has named Dr. Bartolome a Super Doctor for several years, including in 2018. She is board certified in internal medicine, pulmonary disease, and critical care medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Medical School
- University of Kansas School of Medicine (1999)
- University of Kansas Medical Center (2003), Internal Medicine
- University of Kansas Medical Center (2006), Pulmonary Medicine
- EXPRESS: Long term study of oral treprostinil to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension: dosing, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics.
- White RJ, Parikh K, Allen R, Feldman J, Jerjez-Sanchez C, Pan L, Keogh AM, Vizza CD, Shapiro SM, Gordon K, Broderick M, Bartolome S, Pulm Circ 2019 Jul 2045894019866335
- Balloon Pulmonary Angioplasty for Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension.
- Sanampudi S, Bartolome S, Kalva S, J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019 Jul 30 7 1081
- Portopulmonary Hypertension: A Survey of Practice Patterns and Provider Attitudes.
- DuBrock HM, Salgia RJ, Sussman NL, Bartolome SD, Kadry Z, Mulligan DC, Jenkins S, Lackore K, Channick RN, Kawut SM, Krowka MJ, Transplant Direct 2019 Jun 5 6 e456
- Deferoxamine mimics the pattern of hypoxia-related injury at the microvasculature.
- Bartolome S, Dhillon NK, Buch S, Casillan AJ, Wood JG, O'Brien-Ladner AR, Shock 2009 May 31 5 481-5
- Activated protein C attenuates microvascular injury during systemic hypoxia.
- Bartolome S, Wood JG, Casillan AJ, Simpson SQ, O'Brien-Ladner AR, Shock 2008 Mar 29 3 384-7
- Sildenafil for pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Bartolome SD, Channick RN Future Cardiol 2006 Mar 2 2 137-43
- Clinical microbiological case: esophago-airway fistula in an AIDS patient.
- Bartolome S, Klotz SA, Bartholomew W, Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 2002 Mar 8 3 189-90
Honors & Awards
- Max S Allen Clinical Scholar Award
Dept. Of Internal Medicine, University of Kansas (2006)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2005)
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Medical Association
- American Thoracic Society
- Pulmonary Hypertension Clinicians and Researchers
- Society of Critical Care Medicine