Diego H. Castrillon is a Professor of Pathology.
Dr. Castrillon obtained his S.B. in Life Sciences from M.I.T. (1987) and his M.D., Ph.D. degrees from UT Southwestern (1996). He completed a residency in Surgical Pathology and a clinical fellowship in Obstetric and Gynecologic Pathology (with Dr. Christopher Crum) at the Brigham & Women's Hospital / Harvard Medical School, and a postdoctoral research fellowship in Cancer Genetics (with Dr. Ronald DePinho) at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.
The Castrillon laboratory is devoted to the study of gynecologic malignancies, with a main focus on uterine (endometrial) cancer, and has developed a number of new approaches and model systems for this common malignancy of women. An improved understanding of this understudied disease will lead to improved diagnostic methods and therapeutic approaches.
Dr. Castrillon is board-certified in Anatomic Pathology and serves on the Obstetric and Gynecologic Pathology Service at UT Southwestern.
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Genetics & Development
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996)
- Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women's Hospital (1999), Anatomic Pathology
- Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women's Hospital (2000), Gynecologic Pathology
- Gynecologic Pathology
- Women's Cancers including Endometrial and Tubo-Ovarian Cancers
- PI3K Pathway Effectors pAKT and FOXO1 as Novel Markers of Endometrioid Intraepithelial Neoplasia.
- Strickland AL, Rivera G, Lucas E, John G, Cuevas I, Castrillon DH Int. J. Gynecol. Pathol. 2018 Sep
- Polymerase-mediated ultramutagenesis in mice produces diverse cancers with high mutational load.
- Li HD, Cuevas I, Zhang M, Lu C, Alam MM, Fu YX, You MJ, Akbay EA, Zhang H, Castrillon DH J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Aug 128 9 4179-4191
- Control of Oocyte Reawakening by Kit.
- Saatcioglu HD, Cuevas I, Castrillon DH PLoS Genet. 2016 Aug 12 8 e1006215
- LKB1 loss promotes endometrial cancer progression via CCL2-dependent macrophage recruitment.
- Peña CG, Nakada Y, Saatcioglu HD, Aloisio GM, Cuevas I, Zhang S, Miller DS, Lea JS, Wong KK, DeBerardinis RJ, Amelio AL, Brekken RA, Castrillon DH J. Clin. Invest. 2015 Sep
- PAX7 expression defines germline stem cells in the adult testis.
- Aloisio GM, Nakada Y, Saatcioglu HD, Peña CG, Baker MD, Tarnawa ED, Mukherjee J, Manjunath H, Bugde A, Sengupta AL, Amatruda JF, Cuevas I, Hamra FK, Castrillon DH J. Clin. Invest. 2014 Aug
- Gonadal Expression of Foxo1, but Not Foxo3, Is Conserved in Diverse Mammalian Species.
- Tarnawa ED, Baker MD, Aloisio G, Carr BR, Castrillon DH Biol. Reprod. 2013 Mar
- The LKB1 tumor suppressor as a biomarker in mouse and human tissues.
- Nakada Y, Stewart TG, Peña CG, Zhang S, Zhao N, Bardeesy N, Sharpless NE, Wong KK, Hayes DN, Castrillon DH PLoS ONE 2013 8 9 e73449
- Cooperation between p53 and the telomere-protecting shelterin component Pot1a in endometrial carcinogenesis.
- Akbay EA, Peña CG, Ruder D, Michel JA, Nakada Y, Pathak S, Multani AS, Chang S, Castrillon DH Oncogene 2012 Jun
- Foxo1 is required in mouse spermatogonial stem cells for their maintenance and the initiation of spermatogenesis.
- Goertz MJ, Wu Z, Gallardo TD, Hamra FK, Castrillon DH J. Clin. Invest. 2011 Sep 121 9 3456-66
- Lkb1 inactivation is sufficient to drive endometrial cancers that are aggressive yet highly responsive to mTOR inhibitor monotherapy.
- Contreras CM, Akbay EA, Gallardo TD, Haynie JM, Sharma S, Tagao O, Bardeesy N, Takahashi M, Settleman J, Wong KK, Castrillon DH Dis Model Mech 2010 Mar-Apr 3 3-4 181-93
Honors & Awards
- International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- National Institutes of Health
Mouse Pathobiologist Award (2007)
- Kimmel Scholar Award in Translational Science
Sidney Kimmel Foundation for Cancer Research (2004)
- Damon Runyon Postdoctoral Fellowship
Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation (2000)
- Stanley L. Robbins Research Award
Brigham & Women Hospital / Harvard Medical School (1999)
- International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists (2017)
- European Society of Gynaecological Oncology (2016)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (2012)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (2009)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2004)