Uttam K. Tambar moved from India to the United States in 1982. He received his A.B. degree from Harvard University in 2000 and his Ph.D. from the California Institute of Technology in 2006 with Professor Brian Stoltz. After he completed his NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at Columbia University with Professor James Leighton in 2009, he began his independent research career at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He is currently an Associate Professor in the Biochemistry Department and a W. W. Caruth, Jr. Scholar in Biomedical Research. The Tambar lab is interested in asymmetric catalysis, natural product synthesis, and medicinal chemistry.
Dr. Tambar is interested in developing new strategies and concepts in synthetic chemistry to address challenging problems in biomedical research. In addition to making fundamental advances in chemistry, he will take advantage of the unique opportunities for collaborative research at UT Southwestern.
- Graduate School
- Harvard University (2000), Chemistry
- Graduate School
- California Inst of Technology (2006), Organic Chemistry
- Development of new chemical reactions
- Discovery of small molecule drugs
- Synthesis of complex biologically active natural products
- Development of the Vinylogous Pictet-Spengler Cyclization and Total Synthesis of (±)-Lundurine A
- Aaron Nash, Xiangbing Qi, Pradip Maity, Kyle Owens, and Uttam K. Tambar Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018 57 6888-6891
- Catalytic allylic oxidation of internal alkenes to a multifunctional chiral building block.
- Bayeh L, Le PQ, Tambar UK Nature 2017 Jun
- Copper-Catalyzed Enantioselective, Diastereoselective, and Regioselective [2,3]-Rearrangements of Iodonium Ylides.
- Xu B, Tambar UK Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2017 Jun
- Copper-Catalyzed Aminothiolation of 1,3-Dienes via a Dihydrothiazine Intermediate.
- Sleet CE, Tambar UK Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2017 Apr
- Ligand-Controlled Regiodivergence in the Copper-Catalyzed [2,3]- and [1,2]-Rearrangements of Iodonium Ylides.
- Xu B, Tambar UK J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016 Sep 138 37 12073-6
- Isoform-Selective and Stereoselective Inhibition of Hypoxia Inducible Factor-2.
- Scheuermann TH, Stroud D, Sleet CE, Bayeh L, Shokri C, Wang H, Caldwell CG, Longgood J, MacMillan JB, Bruick RK, Gardner KH, Tambar UK J. Med. Chem. 2015 Jul
- Regioselective and Diastereoselective Aminoarylation of 1,3-Dienes.
- Bao H, Bayeh L, Tambar UK Chem Sci 2014 Dec 5 12 4863-4867
- Allylic functionalization of unactivated olefins with grignard reagents.
- Bao H, Bayeh L, Tambar UK Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2014 Feb 53 6 1664-8
[2,3]-Rearrangements of Ammonium Zwitterions. In Molecular Rearrangements in Organic Synthesis
Hongli Bao and Uttam K. Tambar (2016). New Jersey, USA, John Wiley & Sons
Honors & Awards
- Dallas Tiki Week Home Bartender Tiki Cocktail Winner
- Welch Foundation Norman Hackerman Award In Chemical Research
- Chair of the Chemistry and Cancer Program, Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Sloan Foundation Research Fellowship
- W. W. Caruth, Jr. Scholar in Biomedical Research
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow
- John Harvard Scholar
- American Chemical Society (2000)