Jo-Ann O. Nesiama, M.D., M.S., F.A.A.P., is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine. She graduated from the School of Medicine, College of Medical Sciences, University of Benin, Nigeria, in 1989. She then completed a 1-year rotating internship and worked in various locations in Nigeria prior to immigrating to the United States. She completed her pediatric residency at Driscoll Children’s Hospital, Corpus Christi (1998-2001) and was chief resident from 2001-2002. She worked in the emergency department in Driscoll until she left for her fellowship at Children’s Hospital in Wisconsin (2005-2008). She also obtained her MS in epidemiology from the Medical College of Wisconsin during her fellowship (2006-2008). She returned to Driscoll where she practiced for one year prior to joining the Division of Emergency Medicine at Children’s Medical Center/ UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2009. She is a member of the Academic Pediatric Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, Texas pediatric Society. She is currently an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and was the Associate Program Director of the Pediatric Emergency Fellowship Program from 2015-2020. In July 2020, she became the Program Director of the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship Program. Her research interests include prehospital assessment of pediatric trauma, pediatric c-spine injury, outcomes of pediatric trauma and medical education.
- Medical School
- University of Benin College of Medicine, Nigeria (1989)
- Driscoll Children's Hospital - GME (1999), Pediatrics
- Driscoll Children's Hospital - GME (2001), Pediatrics
- Chief Resident
- Driscoll Children's Hospital - GME (2002), Pediatrics
- Other Post Graduate Training
- The Medical College of Wisconsin (2008)
- Medical College of Wisconsin (2008), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Medical Education
- Outcomes of Pediatric Trauma
- Pediatric C-spine Injury
- Pediatric Head Trauma
- Prehospital Assessment of Pediatric Trauma
- Prehospital Care of Injured Children
- Case 4: Two Children with Presumed Inguinal Hernias.
- Williams JA, Bruce G, Patel N, Nesiama JA, Pediatr Rev 2019 Sep 40 9 491-493
- What is causing an infant?s facial swelling?
- Lowe G, Ochoa C, Patel A, Nesiama J-A Consultant 2019 Sep 40 9 491-493
- Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance: A Consensus Statement and Algorithm from the Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance Working Group.
- Herman MJ, Brown KO, Sponseller PD, Phillips JH, Petrucelli PM, Parikh DJ, Mody KS, Leonard JC, Moront M, Brockmeyer DL, Anderson RCE, Alder AC, Anderson JT, Bernstein RM, Booth TN, Braga BP, Cahill PJ, Joglar JM, Martus JE, Nesiama JO, Pahys JM, Rathjen KE, Riccio AI, Schulz JF, Stans AA, Shah MI, Warner WC, Yaszay B J Bone Joint Surg Am 2019 Jan 101 1 e1
- Ultrasound Evidence of Acute Appendicitis in a patient with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome.
- Siddiqui R, Nadeem S, Menon N, Nesiama J Journal of Academic Emergency Medicine Case Reports 2019 10 4 104-111
- An Infant's Sudden-Onset Rash and Swelling: Can You Identify the Cause?
- Yuan YYE, Nesiama J-A, Huang C Consultant 2018 58 6
- The Curious Case of a swollen face: Pneumoparotid in an Adolescent
- Pandya L, Nesiama J Consultant 2016 15 9 477-478
- Does a prehospital Glasgow Coma Scale score predict pediatric outcomes?
- Nesiama JA, Pirallo RG, Lerner EB, Hennes H Pediatr Emerg Care 2012 Oct 28 10 1027-32
- Pediatric Maxillofacial Fractures
- Nesiama JO, Sinn DP Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine 2010 Jun 11 2 103-107
- Tooth Avulsion
- Nesiama JO, Sinn DP Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine 2010 Jun 11 2 108-111
- Pediatric Cervical Spine Injuries: Evaluation and Management
- Nesiama, JO, Hennes, HM Turkiye Klinikleri J Surg Med Sci 2007 3(50) 40-46
Chest Trauma. In Stone C, Humphries R, Drigalla D, Stephan M, eds. LANGE Current Diagnosis and Treatment Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
Nesiama JO, Huang CJ. (2015). McGraw-Hill; 242-250.
Fever and Serious Bacterial Illness in Infants and Children. In Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine Manual, 9th edition
Rodriguez DM, Nesiama JO, Wang, VJ (2019). McGraw-Hill, CH119:746-752
Rectal Prolapse. In Fleisher and Ludwig's 5-Minute Pediatric Emergency Medicine Consult, 2nd edition
Nesiama JO (2019). Wolters Kluwer, 794-795
Acne. In Fleisher and Ludwig's 5-Minute Pediatric Emergency Medicine Consult, 2nd Edition
Nesiama JO (2019). Wolters Kluwer, 20-21
Emergency Medicine. In Pediatric Board Study Guide: A Last Minute Review. 2nd Edition
Nesiama JO, McConnell J, Yen K (2020 p.179-245). Springer
Emergency Medicine. In Pediatric Board Study Guide: A Last Minute Review. Chapter on Emergency Care, 2nd edition
Nesiama JO, McConnell J, Yen K. (2020). Springer Jan Ch7:197-245
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster in Research Category.
Children's Medical Center Research Week Poster Fair: Pediatric Firearm Injuries: Demographics and Context of Injuries in Urban and Rural Communities. (2016)
- Consumers Research Council of America, America's Top Pediatricians
- John G. and Elena Suess Kenedy Award, Best Resident
- Corpus Christi Pediatric Society Resident Research, Best case presentation
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD) (2017)
- Association of Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship Program Directors (2016)
- Pediatric Trauma Society (PTS) (2013)
- Texas Pediatric Society, Section of Emergency Medicine (SOEM) (2011)
- Academic Pediatric Association (APA) (2008)
- Nueces County Medical Society, Treasurer (2008-2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Section on Emergency Medicine (SOEM) (2006)
- National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP) (2006-2014)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP): Wisconsin Chapter (2005-2008)
- Southern Medical Society (SMS) (2002-2005)
- American Medical Association (2001-2005)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) (1998)
- Corpus Christi Pediatric Society (1998-2005)