Dr. Bruce Carr is Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Director of the Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Fellowship Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He also holds the Paul C. MacDonald Distinguished Chair in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Carr earned his medical degree from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and received both his residency and fellowship training at UT Southwestern. He is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and in reproductive endocrinology and infertility.
Dr. Carr is internationally recognized as an authority on reproductive endocrinology and has been acknowledged for his contributions to research and training of specialists in reproductive endocrinology and infertility. He is editor-in-chief of the journal Seminars in Reproductive Medicine and co-editor of the foundational texts Essential Reproductive Medicine and the Textbook of Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Carr is a member of the New York Academy of Science, American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Dr. Carr's practice focuses on diagnostic and treatment options for patients with infertility or endocrine problems, including those associated with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). His patients benefit from years of laboratory and clinical research. Among the topics he has investigated are the regulation of the expression of steroidogenic enzymes, the regulation of ovarian and adrenal androgen production, hormone therapy and menopause, endometriosis, leiomyomas, and infertility.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (1971)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1972), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1975), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1979), Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
- Menopause - Osteroporosis
- Polycystic Ovarian Disease
- Regulation of Steroidogenesis
- Uterine Leiomyomas
- Oral Contraceptive Pills, Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Agonists, or Use in Combination for Treatment of Hirsutism: A Clinical Research Center Study.
- Carr BR, Breslau NA, Givens C, Byrd W, Barnett-Hamm C, and Marshburn PB. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1995 80 1169-1178
- Textbook of Reproductive Medicine
- Carr BR and Blackwell RE (eds) 1993 2nd edition 1-645
- Endocrine Changes During Pregnancyin a Patient with Homozygous Familial Hypobetalipoproteinemia
- Parker CR Jr, Illingworth Dr, Bissonnette J, and Carr BR. New England Journal of Medicine 1986 314 557-560
- Lipoprotein Utilization and Cholesterol Synthesis by the Human Fetal Adrenal Gland.
- Carr BR, and Simpson ER. Endocrine Reviews 1981 2 306-326
- Inverse Relationship Between LDL-Cholesterol and Dehydroisoandrosterone Sulfate in Human Fetal Plasma.
- Parker CR, Simpson ER, Bilheimer DW, Leveno K, Carr BR, and MacDonald PC. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1979 49 146-148
- Vaginal Vault Prolapse After Nonsurgical and Surgical Treatment of Mullerian Agenesis.
- Schaffer J, Fabricant C, and Carr BR. Obstetrics and Gynecology 2002 99 (5 Supp 1) 947-949
- Dissecting Human Adrenal and Androgen Production: A Review.
- Rainey WE, Carr BR, Sasano H, Suzuki T, and Mason JI. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 2002 13 234-239
- Effects of Lower Doses of Conjugated Equine Estrogens and Medroxyprogesterone Acetate on Plasma Lipids and Liproproteins, Coagulation Factors, and Carbohydrate Metabolism.
- Lobo RA, Bush T, Carr BR, and Pickar JH. Fertility and Sterility 2001 76 13-24
- Disorders of the Ovary and Female Reproductive Tract.
- Carr, BR and Bradshaw, KD Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 2001 15th ed. 2154-2172
- Metformin Directly Inhibits Androgen Production in Human Thecal Cells.
- Attia GR, Rainey WE, and Carr BR. Fertility and Sterility 2001 76 517-524
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctor - Reproductive Endocrinology; Gynecology
U.S. News and World Report (2013)
- Super Doctors in Texas 2006-2018
Reproductive Endocrinology; Obstetrics/Gynecology (2006-2018)
- Appointed member, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- First recipient and Holder of the Paul C. MacDonald Distinguished Chair in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- First prize paper
Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and 16th World Congress on Fertility and Sterility and 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (1998)
- Chairman, NIH Reproductive Endocrinology Study Section
- Listed in "The Best Doctors in America"
by S. Naifeh and G. W. Smith, Woodward/White Inc. (1992)
- American Board Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation