Dr. Turer is originally from Las Vegas, NV and received his medical and graduate training at the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine. He arrived at UT Southwestern in 2009 as part of the Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP), doing his internship, residency and fellowship here. He focuses his clinical work on treating inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). His research focus is on discovering new genes involved in maintaining intestinal homeostasis.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine (2009)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2011), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2015), Gastroenterology
- Apoptotic and Inflammatory Signaling
- Goblet Cells
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Intestinal Epithelial Cell Biology
- Mucosal Immunology
- Enhanced susceptibility to chemically induced colitis caused by excessive endosomal TLR signaling in LRBA-deficient mice.
- Wang KW, Zhan X, McAlpine W, Zhang Z, Choi JH, Shi H, Misawa T, Yue T, Zhang D, Wang Y, Ludwig S, Russell J, Tang M, Li X, Murray AR, Moresco EMY, Turer EE, Beutler B, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2019 May
- Excessive endosomal TLR signaling causes inflammatory disease in mice with defective SMCR8-WDR41-C9ORF72 complex function.
- McAlpine W, Sun L, Wang KW, Liu A, Jain R, San Miguel M, Wang J, Zhang Z, Hayse B, McAlpine SG, Choi JH, Zhong X, Ludwig S, Russell J, Zhan X, Choi M, Li X, Tang M, Moresco EMY, Beutler B, Turer E Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018 12 115 49 E11523-E11531
- Mutual inhibition between Prkd2 and Bcl6 controls T follicular helper cell differentiation.
- Misawa T, SoRelle JA, Choi JH, Yue T, Wang KW, McAlpine W, Wang J, Liu A, Tabeta K, Turer EE, Evers B, Nair-Gill E, Poddar S, Su L, Ou F, Yu L, Russell J, Ludwig S, Zhan X, Hildebrand S, Li X, Tang M, Murray AR, Moresco EMY, Beutler B, Sci Immunol 2020 Jan 5 43
- Research Techniques Made Simple: Forward Genetic Screening to Uncover Genes Involved in Skin Biology.
- McAlpine W, Russell J, Murray AR, Beutler B, Turer E, J. Invest. Dermatol. 2019 09 139 9 1848-1853.e1
- mutation causes hyperphagic obesity, diabetes and hepatic steatosis.
- Turer EE, San Miguel M, Wang KW, McAlpine W, Ou F, Li X, Tang M, Zang Z, Wang J, Hayse B, Evers B, Zhan X, Russell J, Beutler B Dis Model Mech 2018 12 11 12
- The class I myosin MYO1D binds to lipid and protects against colitis.
- McAlpine W, Wang KW, Choi JH, San Miguel M, McAlpine SG, Russell J, Ludwig S, Li X, Tang M, Zhan X, Choi M, Wang T, Bu CH, Murray AR, Moresco EMY, Turer EE, Beutler B Dis Model Mech 2018 Sep 11 9
- Microbial Sensing by Intestinal Myeloid Cells Controls Carcinogenesis and Epithelial Differentiation.
- Miyata N, Morris LL, Chen Q, Thorne C, Singla A, Zhu W, Winter M, Melton SD, Li H, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Llano E, Huff-Hardy K, Starokadomskyy P, Lopez A, Reese TA, Turer E, Billadeau DD, Winter SE, Burstein E Cell Rep 2018 Aug 24 9 2342-2355
- Creatine maintains intestinal homeostasis and protects against colitis.
- Turer E, McAlpine W, Wang KW, Lu T, Li X, Tang M, Zhan X, Wang T, Zhan X, Bu CH, Murray AR, Beutler B Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2017 Jan
- Insulin resistance and diabetes caused by genetic or diet-induced KBTBD2 deficiency in mice.
- Zhang Z, Turer E, Li X, Zhan X, Choi M, Tang M, Press A, Smith SR, Divoux A, Moresco EM, Beutler B Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2016 Oct 113 42 E6418-E6426
- Real-time resolution of point mutations that cause phenovariance in mice.
- Wang T, Zhan X, Bu CH, Lyon S, Pratt D, Hildebrand S, Choi JH, Zhang Z, Zeng M, Wang KW, Turer E, Chen Z, Zhang D, Yue T, Wang Y, Shi H, Wang J, Sun L, SoRelle J, McAlpine W, Hutchins N, Zhan X, Fina M, Gobert R, Quan J, Kreutzer M, Arnett S, Hawkins K, Leach A, Tate C, Daniel C, Reyna C, Prince L, Davis S, Purrington J, Bearden R, Weatherly J, White D, Russell J, Sun Q, Tang M, Li X, Scott L, Moresco EM, McInerney GM, Karlsson Hedestam GB, Xie Y, Beutler B Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2015 Jan
Honors & Awards
- President's Research Council Award
- Fellow Research Award
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (2014)
- Keystone Scholar Award
Keystone Symposium (2005)
- UCLA Merck Index Award for Outstanding Achievement in Undergraduate Chemistry
University of California, Los Angeles (2000)