Dr. Andrew Y. Koh received his bachelor’s degree in Biology from Harvard College. He was then awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and studied English Literature at Pembroke College, Oxford University. Dr. Koh obtained his MD degree from Harvard Medical School. He completed internship, residency, and chief residency at Children’s Hospital, Boston. He then completed a dual fellowship in hematology/oncology and infectious diseases at Children’s Hospital, Boston, and Dana Farber Cancer Institute. After serving as an attending physician on both the hematopoeitic stem cell transplantation service and immuncompromised infectious diseases service for five years, Dr. Koh left Harvard to become Director of Pediatric Hematopoeitic Stem Cell Transplantation at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 2009.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1996)
- Children's Hospital of Boston - Pediatric Program (1999), Pediatric Medicine
- Children's Hospital of Boston - Pediatric Program (2000), Pediatric Medicine
- Children's Hospital Boston - Infectious Disease (2004), Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Children's Hospital Boston - Hematology/Oncology (2004), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Candida albicans pathogenesis
- Gut Microbiota (bacterial-fungal interactions)
- Host pathogen interactions
- Intestinal graft-versus-host-disease
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa pathogenesis
- Candida albicans Inhibits Pseudomonas aeruginosa Virulence through Suppression of Pyochelin and Pyoverdine Biosynthesis.
- Lopez-Medina E, Fan D, Coughlin LA, Ho EX, Lamont IL, Reimmann C, Hooper LV, Koh AY PLoS Pathog. 2015 Aug 11 8 e1005129
- Activation of HIF-1a and LL-37 by commensal bacteria inhibits Candida albicans colonization.
- Fan D, Coughlin LA, Neubauer MM, Kim J, Kim MS, Zhan X, Simms-Waldrip TR, Xie Y, Hooper LV, Koh AY Nat. Med. 2015 Jun
- Mucosal damage and neutropenia are required for Candida albicans dissemination.
- Koh AY, Köhler JR, Coggshall KT, Van Rooijen N, Pier GB PLoS Pathog. 2008 Feb 4 2 e35
- Virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a murine model of gastrointestinal colonization and dissemination in neutropenia.
- Koh AY, Priebe GP, Pier GB Infect. Immun. 2005 Apr 73 4 2262-72
- Food for Gut: Microbiota Fuels Immune Reconstitution after BMT.
- Simms-Waldrip TR, Koh AY Cell Host Microbe 2018 Apr 23 4 423-424
- Metagenomic Shotgun Sequencing and Unbiased Metabolomic Profiling Identify Specific Human Gut Microbiota and Metabolites Associated with Immune Checkpoint Therapy Efficacy in Melanoma Patients.
- Frankel AE, Coughlin LA, Kim J, Froehlich TW, Xie Y, Frenkel EP, Koh AY Neoplasia 2017 Oct 19 10 848-855
- Potential for Monitoring Gut Microbiota for Diagnosing Infections and Graft-versus-Host Disease in Cancer and Stem Cell Transplant Patients.
- Koh AY Clin. Chem. 2017 Jul
- The microbiome in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients and cancer patients: Opportunities for clinical advances that reduce infection.
- Koh AY PLoS Pathog. 2017 Jun 13 6 e1006342
- Antibiotic-Induced Depletion of Anti-Inflammatory Clostridia is Associated with the Development of GVHD in Pediatric Stem Cell Transplant Patients.
- Simms-Waldrip TR, Sunkersett G, Coughlin LA, Savani MR, Arana C, Kim J, Kim M, Zhan X, Greenberg DE, Xie Y, Davies SM, Koh AY Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2017 Feb
- FMAP: Functional Mapping and Analysis Pipeline for metagenomics and metatranscriptomics studies.
- Kim J, Kim MS, Koh AY, Xie Y, Zhan X BMC Bioinformatics 2016 Oct 17 1 420
Fever and Granulocytopenia; Infections in Children with Cancer. In Long SS, Pickering LK, Prober CG, eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 4th ed.
Koh AY, Pizzo PA. (2012). Elsevier Saunders; 567-578.
Infectious Disease in the Pediatric Cancer Patient. In Nathan and Oski's Hematology and Oncology of Infancy and Childhood. 8th ed.
Sung L, Fisher BT, Koh AY. (2014). Elsevier Saunders.
Infectious Complications in Pediatric Cancer Patients. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG, eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology. 7th ed.
Ardura MI, Koh AY. (2016). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 1009-1056.
Honors & Awards
- Eleanor and Miles Shore Scholar
- Glaser Pediatric Research Network Fellowship Award
- Rhodes Scholarship
- American Society for Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2012)
- American Society of Hematology (2010)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2010)
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2009)
- American Society for Microbiology (2003)