Dennis Burns, M.D.
Endowed Title Distinguished Teaching Professor
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Dennis Burns received his undergraduate degree from Baylor University and completed medical school, residency training and fellowship training at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Since joining the faculty in 1984, he has divided his time between undergraduate and graduate medical education, collaborative research with multiple UT Southwestern laboratories and clinical neuropathology, with special emphasis on neuromuscular pathology. He has received multiple teaching awards for his work in medical education, and in 2016 was the recipient of a University of Texas Regents' Outstanding Teacher Award and a Minnie Stevens Piper Professorship. He is certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Neuropathology.
In his time away from work, Dr. Burns is an avid fly fisherman, fly tyer and student of history, and cherishes time with his family.
- Baylor University (1974), Chemistry
- Medical School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (1978), Medicine
- Medical Education
- Neuromuscular pathology
- Distinct tissue injury patterns in juvenile dermatomyositis auto-antibody subgroups.
- Nguyen M, Do V, Yell PC, Jo C, Liu J, Burns DK, Wright T, Cai C, Acta Neuropathol Commun 2020 Aug 8 1 125
- Global activation of oncogenic pathways underlies therapy resistance in diffuse midline glioma.
- Georgescu MM, Islam MZ, Li Y, Circu ML, Traylor J, Notarianni CM, Kline CN, Burns DK, Acta Neuropathol Commun 2020 07 8 1 111
- ASCL1 regulates neurodevelopmental transcription factors and cell cycle genes in brain tumors of glioma mouse models.
- Vue TY, Kollipara RK, Borromeo MD, Smith T, Mashimo T, Burns DK, Bachoo RM, Johnson JE, Glia 2020 Jun
- Diffuse microvascular C5b-9 deposition is a common feature in muscle and nerve biopsies from diabetic patients.
- Yell PC, Burns DK, Dittmar EG, White CL, Cai C Acta Neuropathol Commun 2018 Feb 6 1 11
- Morin Stain Detects Aluminum-Containing Macrophages in Macrophagic Myofasciitis and Vaccination Granuloma With High Sensitivity and Specificity.
- Chkheidze R, Burns DK, White CL, Castro D, Fuller J, Cai C J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2017 Mar
- The defining pathology of the new clinical and histopathologic entity ACTA2-related cerebrovascular disease.
- Georgescu MM, Pinho Mda C, Richardson TE, Torrealba J, Buja LM, Milewicz DM, Raisanen JM, Burns DK Acta Neuropathol Commun 2015 3 1 81
- Induction of abnormal proliferation by non-myelinating Schwann cells triggers neurofibroma formation
- Zheng H, Chang L, Patel N, Yang J, Lowe L, Burns DK, Zhu Y Cancer Cell 2008 13 117-128
- Neurofibromas in NF1: Schwann cell origin and role of tumor environment
- Zhu Y, Ghosh P, Charnay P, Burns DK, Parada LF Science 2002 296 920-922
- Defective forebrain development in mice lacking gp 330/megalin
- Willnow TE, Hilpert J, Armstrong SA, Rohlmann A, Hammer RE, Burns DK, Herz J Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 1996 93 8460-8464
- Massive xanthomatosis and atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed low density lipoprotein receptor-negative mice
- Ishibashi S, Goldstein JL, Brown MS, Herz J, Burns DK Journal of Clinical Investigation 1994 93 885-1893
A Case-Based Guide to Neuromuscular Pathology
Zhou L, Burns DK, Cai C (2019). Switzerland, Springer Nature
Pathology: The Big Picture
Kemp WL, Burns DK, Brown TG (2008). New York, Lange McGraw Hill
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Doctors Hall of Fame
- Minnie Stevens Piper Professor
- University of Texas Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award
- Texas Super Doctors
- UT Southwestern Medical School Academic Marshal
- Best Doctors in America
- Pre-Clinical Distinguished Educator Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- State of Texas Merit Scholarship
- Robert A. Welch Foundation Merit Scholarship
- Medical Student Faculty Teaching Awards (1984, 1985, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2014, 2016, 2017)
- Vernie A. Stembridge Faculty Teaching Award (1993, 2015)