Dr. Sohn is from South Korea and received his MD and PhD from Seoul National University College of Medicine in Seoul, South Korea. Dr. Sohn first came to UT Southwestern in 2009 as a postdoctoral researcher to study the in vivo function of hypothalamic neuronal activity. During this time, he worked on the function of serotonin and melanocortin receptors in neuronal control of appetite and metabolism. Dr. Sohn is currently an assistant professor of biological sciences in Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), where he continues to study neuronal control of homeostasis. He came back to UT Southwestern as a visiting faculty member. Dr. Sohn’s interests outside the lab include his family, working out and travel.
- Neuronal Circuit
- Sodium Appetite
- A neural basis for tonic suppression of sodium appetite.
- Park S, Williams KW, Liu C, Sohn JW, Nat. Neurosci. 2020 Jan
- Understanding melanocortin-4 receptor control of neuronal circuits: Toward novel therapeutics for obesity syndrome.
- Ju SH, Cho GB, Sohn JW, Pharmacol. Res. 2018 03 129 10-19
- TrpC5 Mediates Acute Leptin and Serotonin Effects via Pomc Neurons.
- Gao Y, Yao T, Deng Z, Sohn JW, Sun J, Huang Y, Kong X, Yu KJ, Wang RT, Chen H, Guo H, Yan J, Cunningham KA, Chang Y, Liu T, Williams KW, Cell Rep 2017 01 18 3 583-592
- Leptin and insulin engage specific PI3K subunits in hypothalamic SF1 neurons.
- Sohn JW, Oh Y, Kim KW, Lee S, Williams KW, Elmquist JK Mol Metab 2016 Aug 5 8 669-79
- Costimulation of AMPA and metabotropic glutamate receptors underlies phospholipase C activation by glutamate in hippocampus.
- Kim HH, Lee KH, Lee D, Han YE, Lee SH, Sohn JW, Ho WK J. Neurosci. 2015 Apr 35 16 6401-12
- Network of hypothalamic neurons that control appetite.
- Sohn JW, BMB Rep 2015 Apr 48 4 229-33
- Neuronal circuits that regulate feeding behavior and metabolism.
- Sohn JW, Elmquist JK, Williams KW Trends Neurosci. 2013 Jun
- Melanocortin 4 receptors reciprocally regulate sympathetic and parasympathetic preganglionic neurons.
- Sohn JW, Harris LE, Berglund ED, Liu T, Vong L, Lowell BB, Balthasar N, Williams KW, Elmquist JK Cell 2013 Jan 152 3 612-9
- Functional heterogeneity of arcuate nucleus pro-opiomelanocortin neurons: implications for diverging melanocortin pathways.
- Sohn JW, Williams KW Mol. Neurobiol. 2012 Apr 45 2 225-33
- Serotonin 2C receptor activates a distinct population of arcuate pro-opiomelanocortin neurons via TRPC channels.
- Sohn JW, Xu Y, Jones JE, Wickman K, Williams KW, Elmquist JK Neuron 2011 Aug 71 3 488-97
Honors & Awards
- TJ Park Science Fellowship for Junior Faculty
POSCO TJ Park Foundation (2015)
- Finalist - Excellence Award in Postdoctoral Research
UT Southwestern (2013)
- Academic Award in Basic Medical Science (Physiology)
Korea Medical Association (2009)
- American Heart Association (2013)
- The Endocrine Society (2013)
- Society for Neuroscience (2007)