Dr. George R. Buchanan is a Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UT Southwestern) in Dallas, Texas. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago in 1970, followed by pediatric residency at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago and hematology-oncology fellowship at Children’s Hospital Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Buchanan has been at UT Southwestern since 1977 actively involved in the diagnosis and management of children and adolescents with blood diseases. He had been a national leader in investigator-initiated and multicenter collaborative research in many areas of hematology, including sickle cell disease, other anemias, bleeding disorders, and childhood cancer. He has had keen interest in training and mentoring young physician researchers and developing new treatment approaches for children affected with blood disorders and cancer.
Dr. Buchanan has served as President of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology (ASPHO) and twice on the Executive Committee of the American Society of Hematology (ASH). His national honors include the Distinguished Career Award from ASPHO, the Mentoring Award in Clinical Research from ASH, and the Arnold Gold Foundation Award for Humanism in Medicine from the American Association of Medical Colleges.
He is currently the recipient of the Children’s Cancer Fund Distinguished Chair and Director of the Barrett Family Center of Pediatric Oncology at UT Southwestern.
- Drake University (1966)
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1970)
- Development of improved means of diagnosing and treating patients with hereditary blood coagulation disorders
- Epidemiology and pathophysiology and treatment of childhood anemias, including iron deficiency and hereditary spherocytosis
- Management of immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) during childhood, emphasizing outcome measures other than platelet count (e.g., bleeding signs and symptoms, cost of therapy, and quality of life)
- Prevention and treatment of complications of sickle cell disease
- Vascular and infectious complications following splenectomy
- Response to steroids predicts response to rituximab in pediatric chronic immune thrombocytopenia.
- Grace RF, Bennett CM, Ritchey AK, Jeng M, Thornburg CD, Lambert MP, Neier M, Recht M, Kumar M, Blanchette V, Klaassen RJ, Buchanan GR, Kurth MH, Nugent DJ, Thompson AA, Stine K, Kalish LA, Neufeld EJ Pediatric blood & cancer 2011 Jun
- Intravenous iron sucrose for children with iron deficiency failing to respond to oral iron therapy.
- Crary SE, Hall K, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2011 Apr 56 4 615-9
- Decision Modeling of Disagreements: Pediatric Hematologists' Management of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura.
- Lehmann HP, Dambita N, Buchanan GR, Casella JF Medical decision making : an international journal of the Society for Medical Decision Making 2011 Mar
- Traditional laboratory measures of cardiovascular risk in hereditary spherocytosis.
- Crary SE, Troendle S, Ahmad N, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Oct 55 4 684-9
- Improved survival of children and adolescents with sickle cell disease.
- Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, McCavit TL, Buchanan GR Blood 2010 Apr 115 17 3447-52
- Thrombocytopenic purpura after measles-mumps-rubella vaccination: a systematic review of the literature and guidance for management.
- Mantadakis E, Farmaki E, Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 2010 Apr 156 4 623-8
- Prevalence of intracardiac shunting in children with sickle cell disease and stroke.
- Dowling MM, Lee N, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Boger D, Ahmad N, Ramaciotti C, Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 2010 Apr 156 4 645-50
- Acute silent cerebral infarction in children with sickle cell anemia.
- Dowling MM, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Mar 54 3 461-4
- Pulmonary, gonadal, and central nervous system status after bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell disease.
- Walters MC, Hardy K, Edwards S, Adamkiewicz T, Barkovich J, Bernaudin F, Buchanan GR, Bunin N, Dickerhoff R, Giller R, Haut PR, Horan J, Hsu LL, Kamani N, Levine JE, Margolis D, Ohene-Frempong K, Patience M, Redding-Lallinger R, Roberts IA, Rogers ZR, Sanders JE, Scott JP, Sullivan KM Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010 Feb 16 2 263-72
- Vascular complications after splenectomy for hematologic disorders.
- Crary SE, Buchanan GR Blood 2009 Oct 114 14 2861-8
Honors & Awards
- American Society of Pediatrics Hematology-Oncology
designation of the annual "George R. Buchanan Lectureship" (2015)
- Distinguished Clinical Science Educator Award
- American Academy of Pediatrics Special Recognition Award for Teaching
- American Association of Medical Colleges Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism Award
- American Society of Hematology Mentor Award for Clinical Research
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly Magazine (2008-2016)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Distinguished Career Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Americas Top Doctors Award
listed in publication in 2006, 2009, 2010 (0)
- Best Doctors in America
listed in the publication/ database in 1991, 1993, 2002, 2004, 2007, and 2013 (0)
- American Pediatric Society
- American Society of Hematology, Executive Committee, 2001-2005 and 2006-2008
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, President 1999-2002
- Hemophilia Thrombosis Research Society
- Society for Pediatric Research