Dr. George R. Buchanan is a Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UT Southwestern) in Dallas, Texas. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago in 1970, followed by pediatric residency at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago and hematology-oncology fellowship at Children’s Hospital Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Buchanan has been at UT Southwestern since 1977 actively involved in the diagnosis and management of children and adolescents with blood diseases. He had been a national leader in investigator-initiated and multicenter collaborative research in many areas of hematology, including sickle cell disease, other anemias, bleeding disorders, and childhood cancer. He has had keen interest in training and mentoring young physician researchers and developing new treatment approaches for children affected with blood disorders and cancer.
Dr. Buchanan has served as President of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology (ASPHO) and twice on the Executive Committee of the American Society of Hematology (ASH). His national honors include the Distinguished Career Award from ASPHO, the Mentoring Award in Clinical Research from ASH, and the Arnold Gold Foundation Award for Humanism in Medicine from the American Association of Medical Colleges.
He is currently the recipient of the Children’s Cancer Fund Distinguished Chair and Director of the Barrett Family Center of Pediatric Oncology at UT Southwestern.
- Drake University (1966)
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1970)
- Development of improved means of diagnosing and treating patients with hereditary blood coagulation disorders
- Epidemiology and pathophysiology and treatment of childhood anemias, including iron deficiency and hereditary spherocytosis
- Management of immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) during childhood, emphasizing outcome measures other than platelet count (e.g., bleeding signs and symptoms, cost of therapy, and quality of life)
- Prevention and treatment of complications of sickle cell disease
- Vascular and infectious complications following splenectomy
- Prophylactic penicillin after 5 years of age in patients with sickle cell disease: A survey of sickle cell disease experts.
- McCavit TL, Gilbert M, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Nov
- Acute silent cerebral ischemia and infarction during acute anemia in children with and without sickle cell disease.
- Dowling MM, Quinn CT, Plumb P, Rogers ZR, Rollins NK, Koral K, Buchanan GR Blood 2012 Nov 120 19 3891-7
- Hemolytic non-uremic syndrome.
- Chen KS, Neunert CE, Crary SE, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Jul 59 1 167-9
- Extended spectrum of human glucose-6-phosphatase catalytic subunit 3 deficiency: novel genotypes and phenotypic variability in severe congenital neutropenia.
- Boztug K, Rosenberg PS, Dorda M, Banka S, Moulton T, Curtin J, Rezaei N, Corns J, Innis JW, Avci Z, Tran HC, Pellier I, Pierani P, Fruge R, Parvaneh N, Mamishi S, Mody R, Darbyshire P, Motwani J, Murray J, Buchanan GR, Newman WG, Alter BP, Boxer LA, Donadieu J, Welte K, Klein C J. Pediatr. 2012 Apr 160 4 679-683.e2
- Neutralizing antibodies against adeno-associated virus examined prospectively in pediatric patients with hemophilia.
- Li C, Narkbunnam N, Samulski RJ, Asokan A, Hu G, Jacobson LJ, Manco-Johnson MJ, Monahan PE Gene Ther. 2012 Mar 19 3 288-94
- Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in hereditary spherocytosis.
- Crary SE, Ramaciotti C, Buchanan GR Am. J. Hematol. 2011 Dec 86 12 E73-6
- Polyethylene Glycol-conjugated L-asparaginase versus native L-asparaginase in combination with standard agents for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in second bone marrow relapse: a Children's Oncology Group Study (POG 8866).
- Kurtzberg J, Asselin B, Bernstein M, Buchanan GR, Pollock BH, Camitta BM J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2011 Dec 33 8 610-6
- Tapered oral dexamethasone for the acute chest syndrome of sickle cell disease.
- Quinn CT, Stuart MJ, Kesler K, Ataga KI, Wang WC, Styles L, Smith-Whitley K, Wun T, Raj A, Hsu LL, Krishnan S, Kuypers FA, Setty Y, Rhee S, Key NS, Buchanan GR Br. J. Haematol. 2011 Oct 155 2 263-7
- Health-related Quality of Life in Children and Adolescents With Sickle Cell Disease.
- Dale JC, Cochran CJ, Roy L, Jernigan E, Buchanan GR J Pediatr Health Care 2011 Jul-Aug 25 4 208-15
- A randomized, double-blind study of romiplostim to determine its safety and efficacy in children with immune thrombocytopenia.
- Bussel JB, Buchanan GR, Nugent DJ, Gnarra DJ, Bomgaars LR, Blanchette VS, Wang YM, Nie K, Jun S Blood 2011 Jul 118 1 28-36
Honors & Awards
- American Society of Pediatrics Hematology-Oncology
designation of the annual "George R. Buchanan Lectureship" (2015)
- Distinguished Clinical Science Educator Award
- American Academy of Pediatrics Special Recognition Award for Teaching
- American Association of Medical Colleges Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism Award
- American Society of Hematology Mentor Award for Clinical Research
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly Magazine (2008-2016)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Distinguished Career Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Americas Top Doctors Award
listed in publication in 2006, 2009, 2010 (0)
- Best Doctors in America
listed in the publication/ database in 1991, 1993, 2002, 2004, 2007, and 2013 (0)
- American Pediatric Society
- American Society of Hematology, Executive Committee, 2001-2005 and 2006-2008
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, President 1999-2002
- Hemophilia Thrombosis Research Society
- Society for Pediatric Research