Dr. George R. Buchanan is a Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UT Southwestern) in Dallas, Texas. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago in 1970, followed by pediatric residency at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago and hematology-oncology fellowship at Children’s Hospital Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Buchanan has been at UT Southwestern since 1977 actively involved in the diagnosis and management of children and adolescents with blood diseases. He had been a national leader in investigator-initiated and multicenter collaborative research in many areas of hematology, including sickle cell disease, other anemias, bleeding disorders, and childhood cancer. He has had keen interest in training and mentoring young physician researchers and developing new treatment approaches for children affected with blood disorders and cancer.
Dr. Buchanan has served as President of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology (ASPHO) and twice on the Executive Committee of the American Society of Hematology (ASH). His national honors include the Distinguished Career Award from ASPHO, the Mentoring Award in Clinical Research from ASH, and the Arnold Gold Foundation Award for Humanism in Medicine from the American Association of Medical Colleges.
He is currently the recipient of the Children’s Cancer Fund Distinguished Chair and Director of the Barrett Family Center of Pediatric Oncology at UT Southwestern.
- Drake University (1966)
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1970)
- Development of improved means of diagnosing and treating patients with hereditary blood coagulation disorders
- Epidemiology and pathophysiology and treatment of childhood anemias, including iron deficiency and hereditary spherocytosis
- Management of immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) during childhood, emphasizing outcome measures other than platelet count (e.g., bleeding signs and symptoms, cost of therapy, and quality of life)
- Prevention and treatment of complications of sickle cell disease
- Vascular and infectious complications following splenectomy
- Burden of diagnostic radiation exposure in children with sickle cell disease.
- Vetter CL, Buchanan GR, Quinn CT Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Jan
- Prominent Forehead Hematomas ("Goose-Eggs") as an Initial Manifestation of Hemophilia.
- Plummer ES, Crary SE, Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 2013 Aug
- Drug-induced thrombocytopenia in children.
- Reese JA, Nguyen LP, Buchanan GR, Curtis BR, Terrell DR, Vesely SK, George JN Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 Aug
- Splenectomy in children with "mild" hereditary spherocytosis.
- Roy SM, Buchanan GR, Crary SE J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2013 Aug 35 6 430-3
- Intravenous low molecular weight iron dextran in children with iron deficiency anemia unresponsive to oral iron.
- Plummer ES, Crary SE, McCavit TL, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 Jul
- A dose-escalation phase IIa study of 2,2-dimethylbutyrate (HQK-1001), an oral fetal globin inducer, in sickle cell disease.
- Kutlar A, Reid M, Inati A, Taher A, Abboud MR, El-Beshlawy A, Buchanan GR, Smith H, Ataga K, Perrine S, Ghalie R Am. J. Hematol. 2013 Jul
- 50 years ago in the journal of pediatrics: familial idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 2013 Apr 162 4 704
- Bleeding manifestations and management of children with persistent and chronic immune thrombocytopenia: data from the Intercontinental Cooperative ITP Study Group (ICIS).
- Neunert CE, Buchanan GR, Imbach P, Bolton-Maggs PH, Bennett CM, Neufeld E, Vesely SK, Adix L, Blanchette VS, Kühne T Blood 2013 Apr
- Paucity of Clinical Trials in Iron Deficiency: Lessons Learned From Study of VLBW Infants.
- Buchanan GR Pediatrics 2013 Feb 131 2 e582-4
- Chemotherapy for initial induction failures in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a Children's Oncology Group Study (POG 8764).
- Joyce MJ, Pollock BH, Devidas M, Buchanan GR, Camitta B J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2013 Jan 35 1 32-5
Honors & Awards
- American Society of Pediatrics Hematology-Oncology
designation of the annual "George R. Buchanan Lectureship" (2015)
- Distinguished Clinical Science Educator Award
- American Academy of Pediatrics Special Recognition Award for Teaching
- American Association of Medical Colleges Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism Award
- American Society of Hematology Mentor Award for Clinical Research
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly Magazine (2008-2016)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Distinguished Career Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Americas Top Doctors Award
listed in publication in 2006, 2009, 2010 (0)
- Best Doctors in America
listed in the publication/ database in 1991, 1993, 2002, 2004, 2007, and 2013 (0)
- American Pediatric Society
- American Society of Hematology, Executive Committee, 2001-2005 and 2006-2008
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, President 1999-2002
- Hemophilia Thrombosis Research Society
- Society for Pediatric Research