Dr. George R. Buchanan is a Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UT Southwestern) in Dallas, Texas. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago in 1970, followed by pediatric residency at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago and hematology-oncology fellowship at Children’s Hospital Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Buchanan has been at UT Southwestern since 1977 actively involved in the diagnosis and management of children and adolescents with blood diseases. He had been a national leader in investigator-initiated and multicenter collaborative research in many areas of hematology, including sickle cell disease, other anemias, bleeding disorders, and childhood cancer. He has had keen interest in training and mentoring young physician researchers and developing new treatment approaches for children affected with blood disorders and cancer.
Dr. Buchanan has served as President of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology (ASPHO) and twice on the Executive Committee of the American Society of Hematology (ASH). His national honors include the Distinguished Career Award from ASPHO, the Mentoring Award in Clinical Research from ASH, and the Arnold Gold Foundation Award for Humanism in Medicine from the American Association of Medical Colleges.
He is currently the recipient of the Children’s Cancer Fund Distinguished Chair and Director of the Barrett Family Center of Pediatric Oncology at UT Southwestern.
- Drake University (1966)
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1970)
- Development of improved means of diagnosing and treating patients with hereditary blood coagulation disorders
- Epidemiology and pathophysiology and treatment of childhood anemias, including iron deficiency and hereditary spherocytosis
- Management of immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) during childhood, emphasizing outcome measures other than platelet count (e.g., bleeding signs and symptoms, cost of therapy, and quality of life)
- Prevention and treatment of complications of sickle cell disease
- Vascular and infectious complications following splenectomy
- Sports participation in children and adolescents with immune thrombocytopenia (ITP).
- Kumar M, Lambert MP, Breakey V, Buchanan GR, Neier M, Neufeld EJ, Kempert P, Neunert CE, Nottage K, Klaassen RJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015 Jul
- Management of iron deficiency anemia: A survey of pediatric hematology/oncology specialists.
- Powers JM, McCavit TL, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015 Feb
- Evidence gaps in the management of sickle cell disease: A summary of needed research.
- Savage WJ, Buchanan GR, Yawn BP, Afenyi-Annan AN, Ballas SK, Goldsmith JC, Hassell KL, James AH, John-Sowah J, Jordan L, Lottenberg R, Murad MH, Ortiz E, Tanabe PJ, Ware RE, Lanzkron SM Am. J. Hematol. 2015 Jan
- Management of patients with sickle cell disease--reply.
- Yawn BP, Buchanan G, Hassell K JAMA 2015 Jan 313 1 91-2
- Long-term use of the thrombopoietin-mimetic romiplostim in children with severe chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP).
- Bussel JB, Hsieh L, Buchanan GR, Stine K, Kalpatthi R, Gnarra DJ, Ho RH, Nie K, Eisen M Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Oct
- Management of sickle cell disease: summary of the 2014 evidence-based report by expert panel members.
- Yawn BP, Buchanan GR, Afenyi-Annan AN, Ballas SK, Hassell KL, James AH, Jordan L, Lanzkron SM, Lottenberg R, Savage WJ, Tanabe PJ, Ware RE, Murad MH, Goldsmith JC, Ortiz E, Fulwood R, Horton A, John-Sowah J JAMA 2014 Sep 312 10 1033-48
- Diagnosis and Management of Iron Deficiency Anemia.
- Powers JM, Buchanan GR Hematol. Oncol. Clin. North Am. 2014 Aug 28 4 729-745
- Immune thrombocytopenia and alopecia areata: Spontaneous occurrence and resolution in the same patient.
- Cohn SM, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Aug
- Immune Thrombocytopenia during Childhood: New Approaches to Classification and Management.
- Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 2014 Jun
- Blood pressure abnormalities in children with sickle cell anemia.
- Becker AM, Goldberg JH, Henson M, Ahn C, Tong L, Baum M, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Mar 61 3 518-22
Honors & Awards
- American Society of Pediatrics Hematology-Oncology
designation of the annual "George R. Buchanan Lectureship" (2015)
- Distinguished Clinical Science Educator Award
- American Academy of Pediatrics Special Recognition Award for Teaching
- American Association of Medical Colleges Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism Award
- American Society of Hematology Mentor Award for Clinical Research
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly Magazine (2008-2016)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Distinguished Career Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Americas Top Doctors Award
listed in publication in 2006, 2009, 2010 (0)
- Best Doctors in America
listed in the publication/ database in 1991, 1993, 2002, 2004, 2007, and 2013 (0)
- American Pediatric Society
- American Society of Hematology, Executive Committee, 2001-2005 and 2006-2008
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, President 1999-2002
- Hemophilia Thrombosis Research Society
- Society for Pediatric Research