John Battaile, M.D.
Program Director, Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship Program
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
John Turbeville Battaile, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. He also serves as Medical Director of the Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia Center of Excellence and Director of the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program. He specializes in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia.
Dr. Battaile earned his medical degree at the University of Tennessee. He completed both his residency in internal medicine and fellowship in pulmonary diseases and critical care medicine at Washington University in St. Louis. He also holds a master’s degree in clinical investigation from Washington University School of Medicine.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr. Battaile joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2009.
Dr. Battaile’s research interests focus on improving care for patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia, a rare disorder characterized by malformations of various blood vessels, potentially resulting in bleeding. He is the author of numerous book chapters and scholarly articles and has presented his work worldwide.
He is a member of the American College of Chest Physicians, the American Thoracic Society, the Texas Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society.
- Medical School
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center (1999)
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2002), Internal Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine (2006), Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Washington University School of Medicine (2009)
- Graduate School
- Washington University School of Medicine (2009)
- Airway inflammation in COPD and asthma
- Alternative macrophage activation
- Immune mechanisms of acute and chronic lung injury
- Role of infection in the development of chronic inflammation lung disease
- Macrophage chitinase 1 stratifies chronic obstructive lung disease.
- Agapov E, Battaile JT, Tidwell R, Hachem R, Patterson GA, Pierce RA, Atkinson JJ, Holtzman MJ Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2009 Oct 41 4 379-84
- Persistent activation of an innate immune response translates respiratory viral infection into chronic lung disease.
- Kim EY, Battaile JT, Patel AC, You Y, Agapov E, Grayson MH, Benoit LA, Byers DE, Alevy Y, Tucker J, Swanson S, Tidwell R, Tyner JW, Morton JD, Castro M, Polineni D, Patterson GA, Schwendener RA, Allard JD, Peltz G, Holtzman MJ Nat. Med. 2008 Jun 14 6 633-40
- Retrospective Comparison of Pulmonary Arteriovenous Malformation Embolization with the Polytetrafluoroethylene-Covered Nitinol Microvascular Plug, AMPLATZER Plug, and Coils in Patients with Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia.
- Ratnani R, Sutphin PD, Koshti V, Park H, Chamarthy M, Battaile J, Kalva SP, J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019 Jul 30 7 1089-1097
- Primary Outcomes in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Research.
- Adams TN, Battaile JT Crit. Care Med. 2017 Oct 45 10 e1096
- Triggering Receptor Expressed on Myeloid Cells-2 (TREM-2) expression tracks with M2-like macrophage activity and disease severity in COPD.
- Byers DE, Wu K, Dang-Vu G, Jin X, Agapov E, Zhang X, Battaile JT, Schechtman K, Yusen R, Pierce RA, Holtzman MJ Chest 2017 Oct
- Pro-inflammatory phenotype of COPD fibroblasts not compatible with repair in COPD lung.
- Zhang J, Wu L, Qu JM, Bai CX, Merrilees MJ, Black PN, J Cell Mol Med 2012 Jul 16 7 1522-32
- CD46 protects against chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Grumelli S, Lu B, Peterson L, Maeno T, Gerard C, PLoS One 2011 May 6 5 e18785
- Cigarette smoke induces nucleic-acid oxidation in lung fibroblasts.
- Deslee G, Adair-Kirk TL, Betsuyaku T, Woods JC, Moore CH, Gierada DS, Conradi SH, Atkinson JJ, Toennies HM, Battaile JT, Kobayashi DK, Patterson GA, Holtzman MJ, Pierce RA Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2010 Nov 43 5 576-84
- Elastin expression in very severe human COPD.
- Deslee G, Woods JC, Moore CM, Liu L, Conradi SH, Milne M, Gierada DS, Pierce J, Patterson A, Lewit RA, Battaile JT, Holtzman MJ, Hogg JC, Pierce RA Eur. Respir. J. 2009 Aug 34 2 324-31
- Oxidative damage to nucleic acids in severe emphysema.
- Deslee G, Woods JC, Moore C, Conradi SH, Gierada DS, Atkinson JJ, Battaile JT, Liu L, Patterson GA, Adair-Kirk TL, Holtzman MJ, Pierce RA Chest 2009 Apr 135 4 965-74
Honors & Awards
- Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Career Development Award
- Knowlton Award for Clinical Excellence
- Clinicopathologic Conference
Elected by fellow residents as discussant for year-end conference (2002)
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Medical Association
- American Thoracic Society