- Medical School
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center (1999)
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2002), Internal Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine (2006), Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Graduate School
- Washington University School of Medicine (2009)
- Airway inflammation in COPD and asthma
- Alternative macrophage activation
- Immune mechanisms of acute and chronic lung injury
- Role of infection in the development of chronic inflammation lung disease
- Macrophage chitinase 1 stratifies chronic obstructive lung disease.
- Agapov E, Battaile JT, Tidwell R, Hachem R, Patterson GA, Pierce RA, Atkinson JJ, Holtzman MJ Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2009 Oct 41 4 379-84
- Persistent activation of an innate immune response translates respiratory viral infection into chronic lung disease.
- Kim EY, Battaile JT, Patel AC, You Y, Agapov E, Grayson MH, Benoit LA, Byers DE, Alevy Y, Tucker J, Swanson S, Tidwell R, Tyner JW, Morton JD, Castro M, Polineni D, Patterson GA, Schwendener RA, Allard JD, Peltz G, Holtzman MJ Nat. Med. 2008 Jun 14 6 633-40
- Retrospective Comparison of Pulmonary Arteriovenous Malformation Embolization with the Polytetrafluoroethylene-Covered Nitinol Microvascular Plug, AMPLATZER Plug, and Coils in Patients with Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia.
- Ratnani R, Sutphin PD, Koshti V, Park H, Chamarthy M, Battaile J, Kalva SP, J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019 Jul 30 7 1089-1097
- Elastin expression in very severe human COPD.
- Deslee G, Woods JC, Moore CM, Liu L, Conradi SH, Milne M, Gierada DS, Pierce J, Patterson A, Lewit RA, Battaile JT, Holtzman MJ, Hogg JC, Pierce RA Eur. Respir. J. 2009 Aug 34 2 324-31
- Oxidative damage to nucleic acids in severe emphysema.
- Deslee G, Woods JC, Moore C, Conradi SH, Gierada DS, Atkinson JJ, Battaile JT, Liu L, Patterson GA, Adair-Kirk TL, Holtzman MJ, Pierce RA Chest 2009 Apr 135 4 965-74
- Immune pathways for translating viral infection into chronic airway disease.
- Holtzman MJ, Byers DE, Benoit LA, Battaile JT, You Y, Agapov E, Park C, Grayson MH, Kim EY, Patel AC Adv. Immunol. 2009 102 245-76
Honors & Awards
- Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Career Development Award
- Knowlton Award for Clinical Excellence
- Clinicopathologic Conference
Elected by fellow residents as discussant for year-end conference (2002)
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Medical Association
- American Thoracic Society