Christina Herrera, M.D.
Department Obstetrics and Gynecology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Herrera’s current research seeks to understanding the placenta in healthy and diseased states. She is currently using novel magnetic resonance imaging and genomic techniques for longitudinal assessment of placenta structure and function in healthy women and women with chronic hypertension. Her multidisciplinary research includes partners in Radiology, Pathology, Pediatrics and Bioengineering in addition to the Green Center. She is also working to develop first trimester sonographic assessment of the decidua basalis, the precursor to the placenta, for prediction of placenta accreta spectrum disorders.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (2013)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwesteren Medical Center (2020), Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Novel application of imaging and genomic technology in placental function
- Placenta Accreta Spectrum
- Understanding the placenta in normal and diseased states
- Postpartum Depression Risk following Prenatal Diagnosis of Major Fetal Structural Anomalies.
- Herrera CL, Byrne JJ, Nelson DB, Schell RC, Dashe JS, Am J Perinatol 2021 Nov
- Deep learning-based segmentation of the placenta and uterus on MR images.
- Shahedi M, Spong CY, Dormer JD, Do QN, Xi Y, Lewis MA, Herrera C, Madhuranthakam AJ, Twickler DM, Fei B, J Med Imaging (Bellingham) 2021 Sep 8 5 054001
- Neuroplacentology in congenital heart disease: placental connections to neurodevelopmental outcomes.
- Leon RL, Mir IN, Herrera CL, Sharma K, Spong CY, Twickler DM, Chalak LF, Pediatr Res 2021 Apr
- Revisiting the placental clock: Early corticotrophin-releasing hormone rise in recurrent preterm birth.
- Herrera CL, Bowman ME, McIntire DD, Nelson DB, Smith R, PLoS One 2021 16 9 e0257422
- Pulmonary hypertension complicating pregnancy: cardiac remodeling and residual concerns.
- Herrera CL, Schell RC, McIntire DD, Cunningham FG, J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2020 Nov 1-6
- Use of Fetal Magnetic Resonance Imaging After Sonographic Identification of Major Structural Anomalies.
- Herrera CL, Byrne JJ, Clark HR, Twickler DM, Dashe JS, J Ultrasound Med 2020 Oct 39 10 2053-2058
- Femur length parameters in fetuses with Down syndrome†.
- Herrera CL, Hussamy DJ, McIntire DD, Twickler DM, Dashe JS J. Matern. Fetal. Neonatal. Med. 2019 Jan 1-6
- Number of Risk Factors in Down Syndrome Pregnancies.
- Hussamy DJ, Herrera CL, Twickler DM, Mcintire DD, Dashe JS Am J Perinatol 2018 Jul
- Diabetic ketoacidosis complicating pregnancy.
- Bryant SN, Herrera CL, Nelson DB, Cunningham FG J Neonatal Perinatal Med 2017 10 1 17-23
- Maternal Death Due to Clostridium novyi in an Injection Drug User.
- Herrera C, Meehan R, Podduturi V, Eastman AL, Nelson DB Obstet Gynecol 2016 Oct 128 4 876-9
Honors & Awards
- KL2 Clinical Scholar
- American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology (2016)
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (2013)