Originally from San Angelo, Texas, Dr. Barina holds a bachelor's degree in mathematics from Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. She received her medical degree and completed internal medicine residency training at UT Southwestern Medical Center, as well as a fellowship in hospice and palliative medicine.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern Faculty in 2017. Dr. Barina currently serves as the Inpatient Palliative Care Rotation Site Director at Clements University Hospital.
Dr. Barina's research interests include palliative care, palliative care, and end-of-life outcomes in patients with COVID-19, and mouse and rat research. Her investigations have resulted in four publications in peer-reviewed journals.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Barina is involved in several committees, including the Ethics Committee, the Advanced Cardiac Therapies Selection Committee, the End-of-Life workgroup, the Palliative Care workgroup, and the Utilization Committee. She also does teaching activities for Advanced Practice Providers and medical and graduate school didactic teaching. She has previously mentored postdoctoral trainees and oversaw medical student rotations.
Dr. Barina is active in multiple professional societies, including the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and the American College of Physicians.
Dr. Barina has been invited to lecture both regionally and nationally. Some notable lectures include the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization 2019 conference and the Pediatric Academic Societies annual conference in 2011.
Dr. Barina was the recipient of the 2021 Employee of the Year program award in the COVID-19 Heroes category by the Dallas-Fort Worth Hospital Council. She was also a recipient of the 2021 Program Development Award for the COVID ICU Communications team as a team leader at the Leaders in Clinical Excellence annual awards for UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2013)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- Palliative Care
- Palliative care consultation and end-of-life outcomes in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
- Cheruku SR, Barina A, Kershaw CD, Goff K, Reisch J, Hynan LS, Ahmed F, Armaignac DL, Patel L, Belden KA, Kaufman M, Christie AB, Deo N, Bansal V, Boman K, Kumar VK, Walkey A, Kashyap R, Gajic O, Fox AA, Resuscitation 2021 Dec 170 230-237
- Raising Bilingual Children: A Qualitative Study of Parental Attitudes, Beliefs, and Intended Behaviors.
- Lee M, Shetgiri R, Barina A, Tillitski J, Flores G Hisp J Behav Sci 2015 Nov 37 4 503-521
- Serotonin transporter null male mouse pups have lower ventilation in air and 5% CO2 at postnatal ages P15 and P25.
- Penatti E, Barina A, Schram K, Li A, Nattie E, Respir Physiol Neurobiol 2011 Jun 177 1 61-5
- Maternal dietary tryptophan deficiency alters cardiorespiratory control in rat pups.
- Penatti EM, Barina AE, Raju S, Li A, Kinney HC, Commons KG, Nattie EE J. Appl. Physiol. 2011 Feb 110 2 318-28
Honors & Awards
- Employee of the Year program
COVID-19 Heroes category (2021)
- Program Development Award
COVID ICU Communications team Team Leader (2021)
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (2017)
- American College of Physicians (2016)