E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D. M.B.A., is Professor of Psychiatry with Tenure, Vice Chair for Clinical Research, Chief of the Division of Clinical Neuroscience, and Director of the Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He received B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemistry from Texas Christian University. He received an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and completed a psychiatry residency, on the research track, at UT Southwestern Medical Center followed by a research fellowship. He also completed an M.B.A. at UT Dallas. He is board certified in psychiatry and consultation-liaison psychiatry.
He serves on several journal editorial boards including Biological Psychiatry:Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging and Journal of Affective Disorders, and is co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Dual Diagnosis. Dr. Brown’s research focuses on comorbidities of mood disorders including medical illness and substance abuse. He has had numerous grants from NIH and private foundations, including grants from NIAAA and NIDA examining the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence, a grant from NHLBI examining the treatment of depressed asthma patients, NIA exploring neurosteroid treatments for peri-menopausal depression and NIMH examining the effects of stress and corticosteroids on the human brain. He has published over 190 research papers, books, chapters, reviews and editorials.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1993)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Research
- Depression in asthma patients
- Effects of corticosteroids on the hippocampus
- Treatment of bipolar depression
- Treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance abuse
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled add-on trial of quetiapine in outpatients with bipolar disorder and alcohol use disorders.
- Brown ES, Garza M, Carmody TJ J Clin Psychiatry 2008 May 69 5 701-5
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of citicoline add-on therapy in outpatients with bipolar disorder and cocaine dependence.
- Brown ES, Gorman AR, Hynan LS J Clin Psychopharmacol 2007 Oct 27 5 498-502
- A randomized trial of citalopram versus placebo in outpatients with asthma and major depressive disorder: a proof of concept study.
- Brown ES, Vigil L, Khan DA, Liggin JD, Carmody TJ, Rush AJ Biol. Psychiatry 2005 Dec 58 11 865-70
- Hippocampal volume, spectroscopy, cognition, and mood in patients receiving corticosteroid therapy.
- Brown ES, J Woolston D, Frol A, Bobadilla L, Khan DA, Hanczyc M, Rush AJ, Fleckenstein J, Babcock E, Cullum CM Biol. Psychiatry 2004 Mar 55 5 538-45
- Association of depression with medical illness: does cortisol play a role?
- Brown ES, Varghese FP, McEwen BS Biol. Psychiatry 2004 Jan 55 1 1-9
- The Relationship Between Cumulative Exogenous Corticosteroid Exposure and Volumes of Hippocampal Subfields and Surrounding Structures.
- Nguyen DM, Yassa MA, Tustison NJ, Roberts JM, Kulikova A, Nakamura A, Ivleva EI, Van Enkevort E, Brown ES, J Clin Psychopharmacol 2019 Nov/Dec 39 6 653-657
Honors & Awards
- Gerald L. Klerman Award
for clinical research from National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2002)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Travel Fellowship
to American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meetingtg (1999)
- Lilly Fellowship Travel Award
to Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Convention (1998)
- New Investigator Award
from New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) (1997)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (2007)
- Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (2005)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (2004)
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (2000)
- American Psychiatric Association (1993)
- Texas Medical Association (1993)