E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D. M.B.A., is Professor of Psychiatry with Tenure, Vice Chair for Clinical Research, Chief of the Division of Clinical Neuroscience, and Director of the Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He received B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemistry from Texas Christian University. He received an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and completed a psychiatry residency, on the research track, at UT Southwestern Medical Center followed by a research fellowship. He also completed an M.B.A. at UT Dallas. He is board certified in psychiatry and consultation-liaison psychiatry.
He serves on several journal editorial boards including Biological Psychiatry:Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging and Journal of Affective Disorders, and is co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Dual Diagnosis. Dr. Brown’s research focuses on comorbidities of mood disorders including medical illness and substance abuse. He has had numerous grants from NIH and private foundations, including grants from NIAAA and NIDA examining the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence, a grant from NHLBI examining the treatment of depressed asthma patients, NIA exploring neurosteroid treatments for peri-menopausal depression and NIMH examining the effects of stress and corticosteroids on the human brain. He has published over 190 research papers, books, chapters, reviews and editorials.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1993)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Research
- Depression in asthma patients
- Effects of corticosteroids on the hippocampus
- Treatment of bipolar depression
- Treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance abuse
- An epidemiological approach to "steroid psychosis".
- Brown ES Am J Psychiatry 2012 May 169 5 447-9
- Relationship between serum homocysteine levels and depressive symptoms: the Cooper Center Longitudinal Study.
- Gu P, DeFina LF, Leonard D, John S, Weiner MF, Brown ES J Clin Psychiatry 2012 May 73 5 691-5
- T2 measurement of J-coupled metabolites in the human brain at 3T.
- Ganji SK, Banerjee A, Patel AM, Zhao YD, Dimitrov IE, Browning JD, Brown ES, Maher EA, Choi C NMR Biomed 2012 Apr 25 4 523-9
- Depression, anxiety, and COPD: the unexamined role of nicotine dependence.
- Goodwin RD, Lavoie KL, Lemeshow AR, Jenkins E, Brown ES, Fedoronko DA Nicotine Tob. Res. 2012 Feb 14 2 176-83
- Escitalopram for severe asthma and major depressive disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled proof-of-concept study.
- Brown ES, Howard C, Khan DA, Carmody TJ Psychosomatics 2012 Jan-Feb 53 1 75-80
- Association between low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and depression in a large sample of healthy adults: the Cooper Center longitudinal study.
- Hoang MT, Defina LF, Willis BL, Leonard DS, Weiner MF, Brown ES Mayo Clin. Proc. 2011 Nov 86 11 1050-5
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled study with quetiapine as adjunct therapy with lithium or divalproex in bipolar I patients with coexisting alcohol dependence.
- Stedman M, Pettinati HM, Brown ES, Kotz M, Calabrese JR, Raines S Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 2010 Oct 34 10 1822-31
- Pregnenolone for cognition and mood in dual diagnosis patients.
- Osuji IJ, Vera-Bolaños E, Carmody TJ, Brown ES Psychiatry Res 2010 Jul 178 2 309-12
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of naltrexone in outpatients with bipolar disorder and alcohol dependence.
- Brown ES, Carmody TJ, Schmitz JM, Caetano R, Adinoff B, Swann AC, John Rush A Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 2009 Nov 33 11 1863-9
- Attenuation of amygdala atrophy with lamotrigine in patients receiving corticosteroid therapy.
- Desai S, Khanani S, Shad MU, Brown ES J Clin Psychopharmacol 2009 Jun 29 3 284-7
Honors & Awards
- Gerald L. Klerman Award
for clinical research from National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2002)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Travel Fellowship
to American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meetingtg (1999)
- Lilly Fellowship Travel Award
to Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Convention (1998)
- New Investigator Award
from New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) (1997)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (2007)
- Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (2005)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (2004)
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (2000)
- American Psychiatric Association (1993)
- Texas Medical Association (1993)