E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D. M.B.A., is Professor of Psychiatry with Tenure, Vice Chair for Clinical Research, Chief of the Division of Clinical Neuroscience, and Director of the Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He received B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemistry from Texas Christian University. He received an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and completed a psychiatry residency, on the research track, at UT Southwestern Medical Center followed by a research fellowship. He also completed an M.B.A. at UT Dallas. He is board certified in psychiatry and consultation-liaison psychiatry.
He serves on several journal editorial boards including Biological Psychiatry:Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging and Journal of Affective Disorders, and is co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Dual Diagnosis. Dr. Brown’s research focuses on comorbidities of mood disorders including medical illness and substance abuse. He has had numerous grants from NIH and private foundations, including grants from NIAAA and NIDA examining the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence, a grant from NHLBI examining the treatment of depressed asthma patients, NIA exploring neurosteroid treatments for peri-menopausal depression and NIMH examining the effects of stress and corticosteroids on the human brain. He has published over 190 research papers, books, chapters, reviews and editorials.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1993)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Research
- Depression in asthma patients
- Effects of corticosteroids on the hippocampus
- Treatment of bipolar depression
- Treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance abuse
- Gabapentin Enacarbil Extended-Release for Alcohol Use Disorder: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multisite Trial Assessing Efficacy and Safety.
- Falk DE, Ryan ML, Fertig JB, Devine EG, Cruz R, Brown ES, Burns H, Salloum IM, Newport DJ, Mendelson J, Galloway G, Kampman K, Brooks C, Green AI, Brunette MF, Rosenthal RN, Dunn KE, Strain EC, Ray L, Shoptaw S, Ait-Daoud Tiouririne N, Gunderson EW, Ransom J, Scott C, Leggio L, Caras S, Mason BJ, Litten RZ Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 2019 Jan 43 1 158-169
- Megestrol Acetate Induces Declarative Memory Changes and Cortisol Suppression in Healthy Volunteers.
- Mason BL, Ivleva EI, Van Enkevort E, Nakamura A, Brown ES Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2018 Oct 46 3-4 186-192
- The Effects of Caregiver Depression on Childhood Asthma: Pathways and Mechanisms.
- Wood BL, Brown ES, Lehman HK, Khan DA, Lee MJ, Miller BD Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018 Jul
- Association of Biological Markers of Alcohol Consumption and Self-Reported Drinking with Hippocampal Volume in a Population-Based Sample of Adults.
- Naglich A, Van Enkevort E, Adinoff B, Brown ES Alcohol Alcohol. 2018 Jun
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Escitalopram in Patients with Asthma and Major Depressive Disorder.
- Brown ES, Sayed N, Van Enkevort E, Kulikova A, Nakamura A, Khan DA, Ivleva EI, Sunderajan P, Bender BG, Holmes T J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018 Feb
- The relationship between asthma and depression in a community-based sample.
- Akula M, Kulikova A, Khan DA, Brown ES J Asthma 2018 Jan 1-7
- Neurosteroid Levels in Patients With Bipolar Disorder and a History of Cannabis Use Disorders.
- Mason BL, Van Enkevort E, Filbey F, Marx CE, Park J, Nakamura A, Sunderajan P, Brown ES J Clin Psychopharmacol 2017 Oct
- Relationship Between Current Depressive Symptoms and Telomere Length in a Large, Multiethnic Sample.
- Wignall ND, Deschner M, Evans HM, Brown ES J Clin Psychiatry 2017 Mar
- Evaluation of the value of team-based psychiatric consultation in a general hospital setting.
- Orsak C, Thomas A, Bush P, Brown ES Int J Psychiatry Med 2017 Jan 91217417749798
- Expanded conceptualization of multimorbidity to encompass substance use disorders and other psychiatric illness.
- North CS, Brown ES, Pollio DE Ann Clin Psychiatry 2016 Aug 28 3 182-8
Honors & Awards
- Gerald L. Klerman Award
for clinical research from National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2002)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Travel Fellowship
to American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meetingtg (1999)
- Lilly Fellowship Travel Award
to Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Convention (1998)
- New Investigator Award
from New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) (1997)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (2007)
- Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (2005)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (2004)
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (2000)
- American Psychiatric Association (1993)
- Texas Medical Association (1993)