E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D. M.B.A., is Professor of Psychiatry with Tenure, Vice Chair for Clinical Research, Chief of the Division of Clinical Neuroscience, and Director of the Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He received B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemistry from Texas Christian University. He received an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and completed a psychiatry residency, on the research track, at UT Southwestern Medical Center followed by a research fellowship. He also completed an M.B.A. at UT Dallas. He is board certified in psychiatry and consultation-liaison psychiatry.
He serves on several journal editorial boards including Biological Psychiatry:Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging and Journal of Affective Disorders, and is co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Dual Diagnosis. Dr. Brown’s research focuses on comorbidities of mood disorders including medical illness and substance abuse. He has had numerous grants from NIH and private foundations, including grants from NIAAA and NIDA examining the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence, a grant from NHLBI examining the treatment of depressed asthma patients, NIA exploring neurosteroid treatments for peri-menopausal depression and NIMH examining the effects of stress and corticosteroids on the human brain. He has published over 190 research papers, books, chapters, reviews and editorials.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1993)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Research
- Depression in asthma patients
- Effects of corticosteroids on the hippocampus
- Treatment of bipolar depression
- Treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance abuse
- Cortisol awakening response and fractional exhaled nitric oxide in asthma.
- Kroll JL, Brown ES, Ritz T, Clin. Exp. Allergy 2019 Jun
- Relationship between trust in neighbors and regional brain volumes in a population-based study.
- Sadhu M, Nicholson TF, Garcia R, Lampley S, Rain M, Fritz A, Jalalizadeh B, Van Enkevort E, Palka J, Brown ES, Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging 2019 Apr 286 11-17
- Association between telomere length and cognitive ability in a community-based sample.
- Kaja R, Reyes SM, Rossetti HC, Brown ES Neurobiol. Aging 2019 Mar 75 51-53
- Central Nervous System Signatures of Affect in Asthma: Associations with Emotion-Induced Bronchoconstriction, Airway Inflammation, and Asthma Control.
- Ritz T, Kroll JL, Patel SV, Chen JR, Yezhuvath US, Aslan S, Khan DA, Pinkham AE, Rosenfield D, Brown ES, J. Appl. Physiol. 2019 Mar
- From the Editors.
- Green AI, Brown ES, J Dual Diagn 2019 Mar 1
- A pilot study of brexpiprazole for bipolar depression.
- Brown ES, Khaleghi N, Van Enkevort E, Ivleva E, Nakamura A, Holmes T, Mason BL, Escalante C J Affect Disord 2019 Feb 249 315-318
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Citicoline in Patients with Alcohol Use Disorder.
- Brown ES, Van Enkevort E, Kulikova A, Escalante C, Nakamura A, Ivleva EI, Holmes T Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 2019 Feb 43 2 317-323
- Relationship between depressive symptom severity and amygdala volume in a large community-based sample.
- Daftary S, Van Enkevort E, Kulikova A, Legacy M, Brown ES Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging 2019 Jan 283 77-82
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of lamotrigine for prescription corticosteroid effects on the human hippocampus.
- Brown ES, Sayed N, Choi C, Tustison N, Roberts J, Yassa MA, Van Enkevort E, Nakamura A, Ivleva EI, Sunderajan P, Khan DA, Vazquez M, McEwen B, Kulikova A, Frol AB, Holmes T Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2019 Jan
- Systematic review of preclinical, clinical, and post-marketing evidence of bupropion misuse potential.
- Naglich AC, Brown ES, Adinoff B Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2019 Jan 1-14
Honors & Awards
- Gerald L. Klerman Award
for clinical research from National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2002)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Travel Fellowship
to American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meetingtg (1999)
- Lilly Fellowship Travel Award
to Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Convention (1998)
- New Investigator Award
from New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) (1997)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (2007)
- Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (2005)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (2004)
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (2000)
- American Psychiatric Association (1993)
- Texas Medical Association (1993)