E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D., is Professor of Psychiatry with Tenure, Vice Chair for Clinical Research, Chief of the Division of Clinical Neuroscience, and Director of the Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He received B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemistry from Texas Christian University. He received an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and completed a psychiatry residency, on the research track, at UT Southwestern Medical Center followed by a research fellowship. He is board certified in psychiatry and consultation-liaison psychiatry.
He serves on several journal editorial boards including Biological Psychiatry:Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging and Journal of Affective Disorders, and is co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Dual Diagnosis. Dr. Brown’s research focuses on comorbidities of mood disorders including medical illness and substance abuse. He has had numerous grants from NIH and private foundations, including grants from NIAAA and NIDA examining the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence, a grant from NHLBI examining the treatment of depressed asthma patients, and NIA exploring neurosteroid treatments for peri-menopausal depression. He has published over 160 research papers, books, chapters, reviews and editorials.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1993)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Research
- Depression in asthma patients
- Effects of corticosteroids on the hippocampus
- Treatment of bipolar depression
- Treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance abuse
- A randomized, placebo-controlled proof-of-concept, crossover trial of phenytoin for hydrocortisone-induced declarative memory changes.
- Brown ES, Lu H, Denniston D, Uh J, Thomas BP, Carmody TJ, Auchus RJ, Diaz-Arrastia R, Tamminga C J Affect Disord 2013 Feb
- Relationship between asthma and cognition: the Cooper Center Longitudinal Study.
- Caldera-Alvarado G, Khan DA, Defina LF, Pieper A, Brown ES Allergy 2013 Feb
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of citicoline for bipolar and unipolar depression and methamphetamine dependence.
- Brown ES, Gabrielson B J Affect Disord 2012 Dec 143 1-3 257-60
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, trial of lamotrigine therapy in bipolar disorder, depressed or mixed phase and cocaine dependence.
- Brown ES, Sunderajan P, Hu LT, Sowell SM, Carmody TJ Neuropsychopharmacology 2012 Oct 37 11 2347-54
- Effects of lamotrigine on hippocampal activation in corticosteroid-treated patients.
- Brown ES, Zaidel L, Allen G, McColl R, Vazquez M, Ringe WK J Affect Disord 2010 Nov 126 3 415-9
- Effects of glucocorticoids on mood, memory, and the hippocampus. Treatment and preventive therapy.
- Brown ES Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2009 Oct 1179 41-55
- Trust in Physicians and Regional Brain Volumes: A Population-Based Study.
- Sadhu M, Jalalizadeh B, Fritz A, Nicholson TF, Garcia R, Lampley S, Rain M, Van Enkevort E, Brown ES, Prim Care Companion CNS Disord 2019 Oct 21 5
- Subcortical gray matter volumes in asthma: associations with asthma duration, control, and anxiety.
- Ritz T, Kroll JL, Aslan S, Janssens T, Khan DA, Pinkham AE, Brown ES, Brain Imaging Behav 2019 Sep
- Effect of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors on Healthcare Utilization in Patients with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Alcohol Use Disorder.
- Naglich AC, Bozeman S, Brown ES, Adinoff B, Alcohol Alcohol. 2019 Jun
- A randomized trial of an NMDA receptor antagonist for reversing corticosteroid effects on the human hippocampus.
- Brown ES, Kulikova A, Van Enkevort E, Nakamura A, Ivleva EI, Tustison NJ, Roberts J, Yassa MA, Choi C, Frol A, Khan DA, Vazquez M, Holmes T, Malone K, Neuropsychopharmacology 2019 Jun
Honors & Awards
- Gerald L. Klerman Award
for clinical research from National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2002)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Travel Fellowship
to American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meetingtg (1999)
- Lilly Fellowship Travel Award
to Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Convention (1998)
- New Investigator Award
from New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) (1997)
- Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (2005)
- Texas Medical Association (1993)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- American Psychiatric Association
- Research Society on Alcoholism
- Society of Biological Psychiatry