E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D. M.B.A., is Professor of Psychiatry with Tenure, the Lou and Ellen McGinley Distinguished Chair in Psychiatric Research and Aradine S. Ard Chair in Brain Research, Vice Chair for Clinical Research, Chief of the Division of Clinical Neuroscience, and Director of the Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He received B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemistry from Texas Christian University. He received an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and completed a psychiatry residency, on the research track, at UT Southwestern Medical Center followed by a research fellowship. He also completed an M.B.A.,with Healthcare Organization Leadership Concentration, at the University of Texas at Dallas. He is board certified in psychiatry and consultation-liaison psychiatry and is Secretary of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry.
He serves on several journal editorial boards including Biological Psychiatry:Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging and Journal of Affective Disorders, and is Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Dual Diagnosis. Dr. Brown’s research focuses on comorbidities of mood disorders including medical illness and substance abuse. He has had numerous grants from NIH and private foundations, including grants from NIAAA and NIDA examining the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence, a grant from NHLBI examining the treatment of depressed asthma patients, NIA exploring neurosteroid treatments for peri-menopausal depression and NIMH examining the effects of stress and corticosteroids on the human brain. He has published over 200 research papers, books, chapters, reviews and editorials.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1993)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Research
- Depression in asthma patients
- Effects of corticosteroids on the hippocampus
- Treatment of bipolar depression
- Treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance abuse
- Factitious angioedema: a mimic of refractory "angioedema".
- Feldman MF, Khan DA, Brown ES, Bernstein JA J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014 Nov-Dec 2 6 795-7
- Hippocampal Volume in Healthy Controls Given 3-Day Stress Doses of Hydrocortisone.
- Brown ES, Jeon-Slaughter H, Lu H, Jamadar R, Issac S, Shad M, Denniston D, Tamminga C, Nakamura A, Thomas BP Neuropsychopharmacology 2014 Nov
- Adverse consequences of glucocorticoid medication: psychological, cognitive, and behavioral effects.
- Judd LL, Schettler PJ, Brown ES, Wolkowitz OM, Sternberg EM, Bender BG, Bulloch K, Cidlowski JA, Ronald de Kloet E, Fardet L, Joëls M, Leung DY, McEwen BS, Roozendaal B, Van Rossum EF, Ahn J, Brown DW, Plitt A, Singh G Am J Psychiatry 2014 Oct 171 10 1045-51
- The effect of cognitive functioning on treatment attendance and adherence in comorbid bipolar disorder and cocaine dependence.
- Fagan CS, Carmody TJ, McClintock SM, Suris A, Nakamura A, Jeon-Slaughter H, Lo A, Brown ES J Subst Abuse Treat 2014 Jul
- Citicoline in addictive disorders: a review of the literature.
- Wignall ND, Brown ES Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2014 Jul 40 4 262-8
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Pregnenolone for Bipolar Depression.
- Brown ES, Park J, Marx CE, Hynan LS, Gardner C, Davila D, Nakamura A, Sunderajan P, Lo A, Holmes T Neuropsychopharmacology 2014 Jun
- Asthma and depression: the Cooper Center Longitudinal Study.
- Trojan TD, Khan DA, Defina LF, Akpotaire O, Goodwin RD, Brown ES Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Mar
- Association of Depressive Symptoms with Hippocampal Volume in 1936 Adults.
- Brown ES, Hughes CW, McColl R, Peshock R, King KS, Rush AJ Neuropsychopharmacology 2013 Oct
- The relationship between asthma and self-reported anxiety in a predominantly healthy adult population.
- Gada E, Khan DA, Defina LF, Brown ES Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2013 Sep
- A comparison of clinician-rated neuropsychological and self-rated cognitive assessments in patients with asthma and rheumatologic disorders.
- Frol AB, Vasquez A, Getahun Y, Pacheco M, Khan DA, Brown ES Allergy Asthma Proc 2013 Mar 34 2 170-5
Honors & Awards
- Gerald L. Klerman Award
for clinical research from National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2002)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Travel Fellowship
to American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meetingtg (1999)
- Lilly Fellowship Travel Award
to Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Convention (1998)
- New Investigator Award
from New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) (1997)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (2007)
- Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (2005)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (2004)
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (2000)
- American Psychiatric Association (1993)
- Texas Medical Association (1993)