J. Andrew Bird, M.D. graduated from Texas A&M University in 1999 and from the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio in 2003. He completed a Pediatrics residency in 2006 and then an Allergy and Immunology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in 2008. He was the first recipient of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/Food Allergy Initiative Howard Gittis Memorial Award in 2008, which allowed him to complete a clinical research fellowship in food allergy under the direction of Dr. Wesley Burks at Duke University in 2009.
Dr. Bird joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2009. He is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine, Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care, and Director of the Food Allergy Center at Children’s Medical Center. Dr. Bird’s research interests are in understanding and treating life-threatening reactions to foods, and he is currently working with colleagues in several ongoing clinical trials using food proteins for immunotherapy.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center at San Antonio (2003)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Allergy & Immunology
- Research Fellowship
- Duke University Medical Center (2009), Allergy & Immunology
- Food allergy treatment
- Life-threatening reactions to foods
- Food OIT is Superior to Food Avoidance.
- Bird JA Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018 Nov
- AR101 Oral Immunotherapy for Peanut Allergy.
- Vickery BP, Vereda A, Casale TB, Beyer K, du Toit G, Hourihane JO, Jones SM, Shreffler WG, Marcantonio A, Zawadzki R, Sher L, Carr WW, Fineman S, Greos L, Rachid R, Ibáñez MD, Tilles S, Assa’ad AH, Nilsson C, Rupp N, Welch MJ, Sussman G, Chinthrajah S, Blumchen K, Sher E, Spergel JM, Leickly FE, Zielen S, Wang J, Sanders GM, Wood RA, Cheema A, Bindslev-Jensen C, Leonard S, Kachru R, Johnston DT, Hampel FC, Kim EH, Anagnostou A, Pongracic JA, Ben-Shoshan M, Sharma HP, Stillerman A, Windom HH, Yang WH, Muraro A, Zubeldia JM, Sharma V, Dorsey MJ, Chong HJ, Ohayon J, Bird JA, Carr TF, Siri D, Fernández-Rivas M, Jeong DK, Fleischer DM, Lieberman JA, Dubois AEJ, Tsoumani M, Ciaccio CE, Portnoy JM, Mansfield LE, Fritz SB, Lanser BJ, Matz J, Oude Elberink HNG, Varshney P, Dilly SG, Adelman DC, Burks AW N. Engl. J. Med. 2018 11 379 21 1991-2001
- Baked Egg Oral Immunotherapy Desensitizes Baked Egg Allergic Children to Lightly Cooked Egg.
- Bird JA, Clark A, Dougherty I, Brown LS, Arneson A, Crain M, Parrish C J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018 Jul
- Food Allergy Point of Care Pearls.
- Bird JA Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2018 May 38 2 e1-e8
- Additional oral food challenge considerations.
- Bird JA, Fleischer DM, Groetch M, Nowak-Wegrzyn A, Sicherer S, Young MC J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2018 Apr
- Food Allergy.
- Bird JA Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2018 Feb 38 1 xv-xvi
- Interventional Therapies for the Treatment of Food Allergy.
- Parrish CP, Kim EH, Bird JA Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2018 Feb 38 1 77-88
- Current Status of Potential Therapies for IgE-Mediated Food Allergy.
- Parrish CP, Har D, Andrew Bird J Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2018 Feb 18 3 18
- Skin as an immune organ and clinical applications of skin-based immunotherapy.
- Bird JA, Sánchez-Borges M, Ansotegui IJ, Ebisawa M, Ortega Martell JA World Allergy Organ J 2018 11 1 38
- Effect of Varying Doses of Epicutaneous Immunotherapy vs Placebo on Reaction to Peanut Protein Exposure Among Patients With Peanut Sensitivity: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Sampson HA, Shreffler WG, Yang WH, Sussman GL, Brown-Whitehorn TF, Nadeau KC, Cheema AS, Leonard SA, Pongracic JA, Sauvage-Delebarre C, Assa'ad AH, de Blay F, Bird JA, Tilles SA, Boralevi F, Bourrier T, Hébert J, Green TD, Gerth van Wijk R, Knulst AC, Kanny G, Schneider LC, Kowalski ML, Dupont C JAMA 2017 11 318 18 1798-1809
Honors & Awards
- Mom-Approved Doctor
Dallas Child Magazine (2017-2018)
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly Magazine (2015-2018)
- Winn Master Physician in Food Allergy
Children's Medical Center (2014)
- Super Doctor - Texas Rising Stars
Texas Monthly Magazine (2012-2014)
- Young Faculty Support Award
American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2012)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2011-2018)
- Honorary Medical Chair
FAAN Walk (2011)
- NIH Pediatric Loan Repayment Program Award
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Howard Gittis Memorial Award
- Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society (2010)
- American Medical Association (2008-2010)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2003)