J. Andrew Bird, M.D., is a Professor in the Departments of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine and a member of their joint Division of Allergy of Immunology. He is also the Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care, and Director of the Food Allergy Center at Children’s Medical Center.
Dr. Bird received his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio. He completed a pediatrics residency at Baylor College of Medicine, where he also finished his advanced training with a fellowship in allergy and immunology. He was the first recipient of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/Food Allergy Initiative Howard Gittis Memorial Award, which allowed him to complete a clinical research fellowship in food allergy under the direction of Dr. Wesley Burks at Duke University.
Dr. Bird joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2009. His research focuses on life-threatening reactions to foods; he is currently working with colleagues in several clinical trials using food proteins for immunotherapy. His investigations have led to many publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Dr. Bird was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2014, 2018, 2020, 2021, and 2022, and was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor in 2018.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center at San Antonio (2003)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Allergy & Immunology
- Research Fellowship
- Duke University Medical Center (2009), Allergy & Immunology
- Food allergy treatment
- Life-threatening reactions to foods
- Untargeted serum metabolomic analysis reveals a role for purinergic signaling in FPIES.
- Lozano-Ojalvo D, Chen X, Dunkin D, Agashe C, Baker MG, Bird JA, Molina E, Nowak-Wegrzyn A, Berin MC, J Allergy Clin Immunol 2022 Oct
- Peanut Cross-contamination in Randomly Selected Baked Goods.
- Miller TA, Koppelman SJ, Bird JA, Hernandez-Trujillo V, Thyagarajan A, Mack D, Chalil JM, Green TD, Baumert JL, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2022 Feb
- Food Insecurity in the Food Allergic Population: A Work Group Report of the AAAAI Adverse Reactions to Foods Committee.
- Shroba J, Das R, Bilaver L, Vincent E, Brown E, Polk B, Ramos A, Russell AF, Bird JA, Ciaccio CE, Lanser BJ, Mudd K, Sood A, Vickery BP, Gupta R, J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2021 Nov
- Safety of Epicutaneous Immunotherapy in Peanut-Allergic Children: REALISE Randomized Clinical Trial Results.
- Pongracic JA, Gagnon R, Sussman G, Siri D, Oriel RC, Brown-Whitehorn T, Green TD, Campbell DE, Anvari S, Berger WE, Bird JA, Chan ES, Cheema A, Chinthrajah S, Chong H, Dowling PJ, Fineman SM, Fleischer DM, Gonzalez-Reyes E, Kim EH, Lanser BJ, MacGinnitie A, Mehta H, Petroni D, Rupp N, Schneider LC, Scurlock AM, Sher LD, Shreffler WG, Sindher SB, Stillerman A, Wood R, Yang WH, Bois T, Sampson HA, Bégin P, J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2021 Nov
- Reduction in peanut reaction severity during oral challenge after 12 months of epicutaneous immunotherapy.
- Bégin P, Bird JA, Spergel JM, Campbell DE, Green TD, Bee KJ, Lambert R, Sampson HA, Fleischer DM, Allergy 2021 Sep
- Oral Food Challenge for FPIES in Practice-A Survey: Report from the Work Group on FPIES Within the Adverse Reactions to Foods Committee, FAED IS, AAAAI.
- Nicolaides R, Bird JA, Cianferoni A, Brown-Whitehorn T, Nowak-Wegrzyn A, J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2021 Sep
- Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome oral food challenge: Time for a change?
- Bird JA, Barni S, Brown-Whitehorn TF, du Toit G, Infante S, Nowak-Wegrzyn A, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2021 05 126 5 506-515
- Acute FPIES reactions are associated with an IL-17 inflammatory signature.
- Berin MC, Lozano-Ojalvo D, Agashe C, Baker MG, Bird JA, Nowak-Wegrzyn A, J Allergy Clin Immunol 2021 Apr
- Reduction in peanut reaction severity during oral challenge after 12 months of epicutaneous immunotherapy
- Berin C, Agashe C, Baker MG, Bird JA, Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Allergy 2021 2 147 AB154
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Admissions for Anaphylaxis at Children's Medical Center in Dallas
- Boyd K, Parrish C, Bird JA. Allergy 2021 2 147 AB16
Food Allergy. In Clinical Immunology: Principles and Practice
Bird JA, Jones S, Burks W. (2019). China, Elsevier
Chapter 10: Food Allergies. In Sleisenger and Fordtrans Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease
Bird JA. (2020). Elsevier
Diagnosis of Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome. In Food Allergy 1st ed
Nicolaides RE, Patel N, Bird JA (2022).
Cows milk allergy. In Reference Module in Food Science
Parrish C, Gupta M, Patel G, Bird JA (2022). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2017-2022)
- Mom-Approved Doctor
Dallas Child Magazine (2017-2018)
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly (2015-2022)
- Winn Master Physician in Food Allergy
Children's Medical Center (2014)
- Texas Super Doctor - Rising Stars
Texas Monthly (2012-2014)
- Young Faculty Support Award
American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2012)
- Honorary Medical Chair
FAAN Walk (2011)
- NIH Pediatric Loan Repayment Program Award
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- Asthma and Immunology Howard Gittis Memorial Award
American Academy of Allergy (2008)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2003)
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American Medical Association (2008-2010)
- Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society (2010)