Mary Elizabeth (Beth) Brickner, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine’s Division of Cardiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She holds the Charles B. Mullins, M.D. Professorship in Clinical Practice and Teaching in Cardiology.
Dr. Brickner is a clinical cardiologist who specializes in echocardiography and adult congenital heart disease.
She received her undergraduate degree from Xavier University in Cincinnati and earned her medical degree at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. She completed internal medicine training at the University of Michigan Hospitals in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and then performed her cardiology fellowship training at UT Southwestern. She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1991.
Dr. Brickner is the Medical Director of the Cardiovascular (Echocardiography) Laboratory at Parkland Health and Hospital Systems, the Director of the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Clinic at UT Southwestern, and the Director of the Audre and Bernard Rapoport Center for Cardiovascular Disease Research.
Her clinical interests focus on congenital heart disease in adults, valvular heart disease, and heart disease in pregnancy.
Dr. Brickner works extensively with first- and second-year medical students at UT Southwestern and has twice received the Outstanding Teacher for Medical Students award, as well as the Socrates award for her excellence in medical instruction.
She is an ad hoc scientific reviewer for Circulation, the American Journal of Cardiology, American Heart Journal, and the Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography.
In 2018, she was named a Super Doctor by Texas Monthly.
- Medical School
- The Ohio State University (1985)
- University of Michigan Medical School (1988), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Cardiovascular Disease
- Congenital Heart Disease in Adults
- Congenital Heart Disease
- M. Elizabeth Brickner, MD Eric J. Topol’s Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine 2007 3rd edition 502-536
- Transesophageal Echocardiography: Indications and Applications
- Gail E. Peterson, M. Elizabeth Brickner, Sharon C. Reimold Circulation 2003 in press
- Valvar Aortic Stenosis
- M. Elizabeth Brickner Gatzoulis, et al: Diagnosis and Management of Adult Congenital Heart Disease 2003 in press
- Congenital Heart Disease in Adults, Parts I and II
- M. Elizabeth Brickner, L. David Hillis, Richard A. Lange New England Journal of Medicine January 2000 Vol. 342 256-263, 334-342
Honors & Awards
- University of Texas Regent's Outstanding Teacher Award (ROTA)
UT Board of Regents' highest honor rewarding outstanding faculty performance (2017)
- UT Kenneth I. Shine, MD Academy of Health Science Education
Distinguished scholars recognized for their teaching excellence and committment to enhancing health science education (2016)
- UT Southwestern Distinguished Clinical Educator Award
Recognizing excellence and contributions to medical education at UTSW (2016)
- Charles B. Mullins, MD Professorship in Clinical Practice and Teaching in Cardiology
- Member of Southwestern Academy of Teachers
- Socrates Award
Medical Student Teaching Award (2008)
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Member, American College of Physicians
- Member, American Heart Association
- Member, American Society of Echocardiography
- Member, International Society for Adult Congenital Cardiac Disease