The focus of my research is developing novel treatments for progressive childhood brain tumors and reducing the long-term side effects of childhood brain tumor survivors. My research has consisted of leading both investigator-initiated clinical trials and leading and participating in multi-institutional consortium studies. My training and experience as a pediatric neuro-oncologist and childhood cancer survivorship specialist, as well as my leadership as the director of the childhood cancer survivors’ program and medical director of pediatric neuro-oncology program at UT Southwestern Medical Center gives me a unique perspective on the clinical and research challenges of both the treatment of childhood cancer and the long-term neurological side effects of cancer treatment.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1993)
- Children's Health Dallas (1994), Pediatrics
- Children's Health Dallas (1996), Pediatrics
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1999), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Evaluation of quality of life and late effects of childhood cancer survivors
- New therapies for childhood brain tumors
- Late-occurring stroke among long-term survivors of childhood leukemia and brain tumors: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Bowers DC, Liu Y, Leisenring W, McNeil E, Stovall M, Gurney JG, Robison LL, Packer RJ, Oeffinger KC J. Clin. Oncol. 2006 Nov 24 33 5277-82
- Stroke as a late treatment effect of Hodgkin's Disease: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Bowers DC, McNeil DE, Liu Y, Yasui Y, Stovall M, Gurney JG, Hudson MM, Donaldson SS, Packer RJ, Mitby PA, Kasper CE, Robison LL, Oeffinger KC J. Clin. Oncol. 2005 Sep 23 27 6508-15
- Phase I study of oral cyclophosphamide and oral topotecan for children with recurrent or refractory solid tumors.
- Bowers DC, Aquino VM, Leavey PJ, Bash RO, Journeycake JM, Tomlinson G, Mulne AF, Haynes HJ, Winick NJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2004 Jan 42 1 93-8
- Study of the MIB-1 labeling index as a predictor of tumor progression in pilocytic astrocytomas in children and adolescents.
- Bowers DC, Gargan L, Kapur P, Reisch JS, Mulne AF, Shapiro KN, Elterman RD, Winick NJ, Margraf LR J. Clin. Oncol. 2003 Aug 21 15 2968-73
- Hepatocyte growth factor activates the Akt pathway and inhibits chemotherapy and radiation induced cell death in human glioma cells
- Bowers DC, Fan S, Willimas JA, Rosen EM, Laterra J Cancer Research 2000 60 (15) 4277-4283
- Phase II Randomized Trial of Lenalidomide in Children With Pilocytic Astrocytomas and Optic Pathway Gliomas: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.
- Warren KE, Vezina G, Krailo M, Springer L, Buxton A, Peer CJ, Figg WD, William-Hughes C, Kessel S, Fouladi M, Gajjar A, Bowers D, J Clin Oncol 2023 Jun 41 18 3374-3383
- Phase II study of everolimus for recurrent or progressive pediatric ependymoma.
- Bowers DC, Rajaram V, Karajannis MA, Gardner SL, Su JM, Baxter P, Partap S, Klesse LJ, Neurooncol Adv 2023 5 1 vdad011
- Pediatric Central Nervous System Cancers, Version 2.2023, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology.
- Gajjar A, Mahajan A, Abdelbaki M, Anderson C, Antony R, Bale T, Bindra R, Bowers DC, Cohen K, Cole B, Dorris K, Ermoian R, Franson A, Helgager J, Landi D, Lin C, Metrock L, Nanda R, Palmer J, Partap S, Plant A, Pruthi S, Reynolds R, Ruggieri P, Stearns D, Storm P, Wang A, Warren K, Whipple N, Zaky W, McMillian NR, Pluchino LA, J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2022 Dec 20 12 1339-1362
- Molecular classification and outcome of children with rare CNS embryonal tumors: results from St. Jude Children's Research Hospital including the multi-center SJYC07 and SJMB03 clinical trials.
- Liu APY, Dhanda SK, Lin T, Sioson E, Vasilyeva A, Gudenas B, Tatevossian RG, Jia S, Neale G, Bowers DC, Hassall T, Partap S, Crawford JR, Chintagumpala M, Bouffet E, McCowage G, Broniscer A, Qaddoumi I, Armstrong G, Wright KD, Upadhyaya SA, Vinitsky A, Tinkle CL, Lucas J, Chiang J, Indelicato DJ, Sanders R, Klimo P, Boop FA, Merchant TE, Ellison DW, Northcott PA, Orr BA, Zhou X, Onar-Thomas A, Gajjar A, Robinson GW, Acta Neuropathol 2022 Aug
- Consensus Recommendations for Managing Childhood Cancer Survivors at Risk for Stroke After Cranial Irradiation: A Delphi Study.
- Kenney LB, Ames BL, Huang MS, Yock T, Bowers DC, Nekhlyudov L, Williams D, Hudson MM, Ullrich NJ, Neurology 2022 Aug
Strokes Among Childhood Brain Tumor Survivors. In Goldman S, Turner CD, eds. Late Effects of Treatment for Brain Tumors.
Bowers DC. (2009). Springer; 145-153.
Honors & Awards
- Favorite Oncology Professionals
CureSearch for Childrens Cancer (2013-2013)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018, 2021 (2010-2021)
- Elected to the Society for Pediatric Research
- Outstanding Graduate in the College of Science, Texas A&M University
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (1999-2023)
- Children's Oncology Group (1999-2023)
- Society for Neuro-Oncology (2000-2023)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2006-2023)