Dr. Mizuno earned his doctroral degree in 2005 from Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship at UT Southwestern in 2009 and then joined the faculty in 2011. He is currently an active member of the American Physiological Society, American College of Sports Medicine and American Heart Association.
Dr. Mizuno's laboratory has been studying autonomic control of the cardiovascular system. Current research focuses on examining the mechanisms underlying alterations in circulatory control in type1 or type2 diabetes. More specifically, the lab is actively investigating the central and peripheral mechanisms underpinning the abnormal elevations in sympathetic nerve activity that accompany the pathogenesis of these diseases.
- Waseda University (2000)
- Graduate School
- Waseda University (2002)
- Graduate School
- Waseda University (2005)
- Autonomic Dysfunction in Diabetes
- Neural Control of Cardiovascular Systems
- Exaggerated pressor and sympathetic responses to stimulation of the mesencephalic locomotor region and exercise pressor reflex in type II diabetic rats.
- Kim HK, Hotta N, Ishizawa R, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 2019 May
- Phosphate, the forgotten mineral in hypertension.
- Kim HK, Mizuno M, Vongpatanasin W, Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2019 03
- The Pressor Response to Concurrent Stimulation of the Mesencephalic Locomotor Region and Peripheral Sensory Afferents Is Attenuated in Normotensive but Not Hypertensive Rats.
- Liang N, Iwamoto GA, Downey RM, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M Front Physiol 2019 10 95
- Mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists attenuate exaggerated exercise pressor reflex responses in hypertensive rats.
- Downey RM, Mizuno M, Mitchell JH, Vongpatanasin W, Smith SA Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2017 Jul ajpheart.00155.2017
- High Dietary Phosphate Intake Induces Hypertension and Augments Exercise Pressor Reflex Function in Rats.
- Mizuno M, Mitchell JH, Crawford S, Huang CL, Maalouf NM, Hu MC, Moe OW, Smith SA, Vongpatanasin W Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 2016 May ajpregu.00124.2016
- Exaggerated sympathetic and cardiovascular responses to stimulation of the mesencephalic locomotor region in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Liang N, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2015 Nov ajpheart.00479.2015
- Aldosterone and Salt Loading Independently Exacerbate the Exercise Pressor Reflex in Rats.
- Mizuno M, Downey RM, Mitchell JH, Auchus RJ, Smith SA, Vongpatanasin W Hypertension 2015 Jul
- Dynamic exercise training prevents exercise pressor reflex overactivity in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Mizuno M, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2015 Jul ajpheart.00358.2015
- Muscle mechanoreflex overactivity in hypertension: A role for centrally-derived nitric oxide.
- Smith SA, Leal AK, Murphy MN, Downey RM, Mizuno M Auton Neurosci 2015 Jan
- Exercise training improves functional sympatholysis in spontaneously hypertensive rats through a nitric oxide dependent mechanism.
- Mizuno M, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2014 May
Honors & Awards
- Interdisciplinary Research Grant Program, PI
Southwestern School of Health Professions (2018-2019)
- Interdisciplinary Research Grant Program, Co-PI
Southwestern School of Health Professions (2017-2018)
- New Investigator Award
Southwestern School of Health Professions (2016)
- Pilot and Feasibility Program
O-Brien Kidney Research Core Center (2015-2016)
- Excellent Young Researchers Overseas Visit Program
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (2010)
- Fellowship for Research Abroad
The Naito Foundation (2009)
- Fellowships for Research Abroad
The Nakatomi Foundation (2009)
- Research Fellowships for Young Scientists
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (2009)
- Incentive Award
Neurocardiology Workshop (2007)
- Young Investigator Award
Japan Society of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine (2004)
- American Heart Association (2015)
- American College of Sports Medicine (2009)
- American Physiological Society (2007)